Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 8217 times)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »
You would have to pass a test?

Now M2, we don't want to discriminate against illiterates.

Could the test have pictures and little talking cartoon characters?

jgruber

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 03:28:32 PM »
So if I tell you I'm selling you bad meat that is OK?

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »
Glad you enjoy the arguing too. If I try to have one of these discussions with my sister, she winds up calling me a female dog and personally attacking me--she just doesn't understand the joy of arguing, she always goes on the defensive and gets mad.

Side note: I still think having drugs that are illegal is okay because of the whole thing about your actions affecting others. But we can just agree to disagree on that I guess.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »
Yeah, I can see the argument for pot being legal. Honestly if I thought people would stick to it (actually follow the laws and not take it underground) I would want caffeine, nicotene and alcohol to be illegal. That stuff is all really bad for you. But the fact is, illegalizing such widely used stuff would only create an unregulated underground market and send lots more people to jail.  Which, then, is the case for legalizing marijuana. When you think about it, it is really strange that it's illegal when alcohol is legal.

That said, I cannot envision our lawmakers actually legalizing it, at least not in the next 100 years.  The backlash from the older, wealthy people who keep these politicians in campaign funds would just be too great.

jgruber

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »
It is your type of reasoning that scares me the most. It seems to me that you really just want to control people.
And please don't take offense to that...that is what it SEEMS liek to me. I am not accusing you of it.

but laws are about controlling people.  Laws that prohibit violent behavior, laws that compel you to pay taxes and so on.

If laws are not to control people and their behavior, what are they for?

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 04:02:20 PM »
I agree that controlling for control's sake is not good, but that just begs the question.  Who and how do you decide what is just control for the heck of it and what is control to make people safe, even from themselves?

It is your type of reasoning that scares me the most. It seems to me that you really just want to control people.
And please don't take offense to that...that is what it SEEMS liek to me. I am not accusing you of it.

but laws are about controlling people.  Laws that prohibit violent behavior, laws that compel you to pay taxes and so on.

If laws are not to control people and their behavior, what are they for?

Controlling simply to fulfill the desire to control is a bit different dont you think?
Thats what I meant by "likes to control people". As in a fetish of some sort

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
I actually believe it does cause long term harm--but I understand that there are no medical studies to substaniate that.

Really, it's more the alcohol and nicotene.  They are very, very harmful to your body, and addiction to them kills people, and ruins people's lives. The people who are hurt by this abuse can be children, friends and relatives of the addict.  Not to mention the number of innocent people who are killed by drunk drivers every year. It's dangerous. 

BUT, I understand that you can't control everything people do (much as I admit I would like to!) and that people have to have their freedoms. People are allowed to do other things that are potentially harmful or dangerous to themselves or others, it's just a question of where you draw the line. I mean, speeding cars kill people too, so cars could be designed so that they will not go over 75 miles per hour, ever. But the government chooses not to make that regulation.  They do, however, have laws about how many brake lights the car must have, and whether the driver can be intoxicated, and whether you have to wear a seat belt, and so forth. 

If there's anything we should have learned from the aftermath of Sept 11, it's that there's a very fine balance between safety and freedom.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 04:19:49 PM »
Hmm, well sorry that disturbs you--but I'm in good company.  We cannot have total and complete freedom.  We have to balance freedom with safety. It would be unsafe for everyone to be free to perform surgery. So we regulate that, for people's own protection. There are a million other examples.

The caffeine thing is a personal religious belief. I think there will come a time when we will discover that caffeine does in fact cause real harm. People used to think alcohol and nicotene were perfectly safe, but it is now known that they cause serious health problems.  However, as I said, I understand that there is no proof, so I will "retract" my assertion that caffeine should be illegal.

nathanielmark

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »
actually. this would be great.  i couldnt think of a better way to weed out the bottom of the gene pool.

restrictions for minors of course...

So no FDA? no prescriptions? People could buy anything they wanted over the counter? Lots of dangerous and potentially lethal substances would be available at any drugstore or supermarket?

I wouldn't want to live in a place like that.

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2004, 08:26:57 PM »
Why shouldn't we allow people to harm themselves?
It's their body.

What happens when harming yourself causes indirect harm to others?