Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 8012 times)

nathanielmark

Poll: Drug Policy
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »
just curious...

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 09:22:41 AM »
The big problem I see about drug laws is that they make it so a LOT of people wind up in jail who are not really a danger to anyone but themselves. It costs a lot of money to keep these people in jail, and people who were busted for possession make up a huge portion of the current prison population. If only dealers were sent to jail and everyone else paid fines, went on probation, did community service, or got one of those house arrest ankle bracelet things, it would make a lot more sense financially and a lot fewer people would be in jail who could be out in the world doing something semi-beneficial for society.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
I'd have to say that our current laws seem hypocritical at best.  The laws allow a lot of harmful activity -- tobacco jumps up first in that category -- but we prohibit others like weed.

I think illegal drugs will be a problem as long as there is money to be made from it.  I believe that people at high levels of power and influence are making that money and it won't change any time soon.

Maybe it is time to legalize at least some drugs.

I dunno, but we are wasting a lot of money and other resources on the so called war on drugs.  Roy Black said in his book Black's Law that a nation cannot declare war on itself, referring to the war on drugs.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »
I think we need to legalize pretty much all drugs.  Focusing on violent crimes would be much better.  Send someone to jail for stealing something to buy the drugs - not for using the drugs.  Mandatory minimums are one of the worst things out there - someone can molest a child and get out in less time than someone that had a certain amount of drugs on them who was trying to sell them.  Unfortunately, the "war on drugs" is too much of a money maker for it ever to end.

One of the best examples is exctasy (I know it is spelled wrong, but I am too lazy to bring up word to spell check it).  It started off as a psych drug and had really good results with people suffering from ptsd, sexual problems (especially resulting from violent sexual crimes) and other good benefits.  However, when it started being sold on the street as a designer drug, all of a sudden it was illegal for even psych use.  Although they haven't got data to prove that it is harmful (in that some people that have taken it since the 60s are still fine with no mental problems like is claimed) it is still illegal to use, buy, prescribe, or sell.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 02:07:44 PM »
let me play devil's advocate on this one.  let's say you use drugs and do no outward harm to anyone.

but then you OD on something, end up in the emergency room, turn into a vegetable and the hospital gets to keep you on life support for a month.  you rack up a bill of 250,000.00 but you have no insurance and no assets.

the hospital writes off the bill and raises their prices to compensate.

have you hurt anyone?

Legalize everything for adults, but have a sytem of drug licenses. One must be able to prove that one knows enough about the risks about this drug before a license is granted.

Abuse of this license (selling to minors etc) would result in lifetime revocation.

No one has any right to tell me what I am allowed to ingest, as long as I do no harm to others.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 02:20:04 PM »
JeffJoe, I was going to say the same thing! (well pretty much)

People use the same argument about seat belt laws--that no one has the right to make them wear a seat belt if it's only them that would get hurt by not wearing one. But the fact is, in our society, there are very few things that we can do that don't impact someone else, somehow.  If you get in an accident and sustain serious injuries that could have been avoided by wearing a seatbelt, and even if you DO have insurance, you will have massive avoidable medical bills. These bills will be paid by your insurance company, which might also be my insurance company. The insurance co's premiums will go up as a result of having to pay so much for your (and other non-seatbelt wearers') medical bills.

Like it or not, none of us lives in a bubble.  We have impact on each other, that's just the way our system is.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:22:09 PM »
I think we agree on this.  Direct and indirect costs must be considered.  I don't have an absolute right to do what I want because I live in a society.

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 02:27:54 PM »
Thats why drugs should be taxed.

Decriminalize and tax..... lets get this country out of debt!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
Well, we could get into a philosophy here of why laws are made, what the law is there to do or not to do, etc...but let me just say that I'm not saying I personally have a right to tell you what you can consume (of course), but yes, the lawmakers do. Congress (with help from the courts, state gov'ts, and other rulemakers), like it or not, gets to tell you what to do and what not to do. That's representative government for you. You could change that by trying to elect reps who share your views about drugs I guess.  But if you have a serious problem with the fact that there people who make laws and we all have to follow them...you're gonna have a hard time finding a system of government under which you would be satisfied.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 02:36:53 PM »
If we drop restrictions on what you can consume, then we'd have to drop restrictions on what  people can sell you.  So I guess we'd have to drop drug and food regulations.  If you want to eat diseased meat or contaminated vegetables, we would not have the right to stop you according to your line of reasoning, and therefore we would not have the right to stop people from producing and selling these products.

Or am I missing something?