Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools with bad names  (Read 5619 times)

Cenerentola

• View Profile
Re: Schools with bad names
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:33 PM »
USD's mascot is the Torero.  I think the common question freshman year was "What the hell is that?", which we soon discovered it was a bull fighter.  So then came the next question "Why not call us the matadors then?  Or bull fighters?"  I mean seriously, has anyone ever heard of a torero?  I guess it is an Argentinian term... leave it to USD to go all out to sound weird and exotic.

Pamela

• MSN Messenger - pronback@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »

Michigan State University-Detroit College of Law -Now that's just confusing.

It's actually not called that anymore. It's just Michigan State University College of Law.
Applied: Valpo
Accepted: Baylor, Akron (Full Tuition), Michigan State (Full Tuition and laptop), Ohio Northern ($22,500/year), Toledo (Full Tuition), Wayne State (Full Tuition), Hamline (Full Tuition), Loyola New Orleans ($20,000/year)
3.82/159
Attending: MSU

ReeesaT

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2005, 09:33:54 AM »

Although only USD has a law school, for undergrad it is horrible because there is University of San Diego, University of San Diego-California, and San Diego State University, so there is a lot of confusion (kind of like the Stanford/Samford thing).

I'm only saying something because I'm about the graduate from there, but it's University of California, San Diego (not University of San Diego-California).  So in San Diego we have UCSD, USD, and SDSU . . . and yes, it takes about 5 minutes to explain to someone exactly which one you go to.  "No, we don't have the exciting basketball team . . . we're the nerds on the coast." 

And though it's not about law schools, I always thought it was totally confusing that the UC system has UCSD, UCSB, and UCSC.  They all sound really really similar.

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2005, 10:27:05 AM »
USD's mascot is the Torero.  I think the common question freshman year was "What the hell is that?", which we soon discovered it was a bull fighter.  So then came the next question "Why not call us the matadors then?  Or bull fighters?"  I mean seriously, has anyone ever heard of a torero?  I guess it is an Argentinian term... leave it to USD to go all out to sound weird and exotic.

Great ::)
I just can't picture myself rooting for the Toreros.
I'm just gonna have to stick with my undergrad team.
The Yellow Jacket is only a bee, but at least it's a deadly bee.

Go Toreros!!!...nope.  Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Actually, it's pretty tough on my Asian Tongue.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2005, 03:21:52 PM »

I'd nominate my school: University of the Pacific (McGeorge School of Law).

Not only is it named after someone no one knows, but to compensate for it, it merged into a university that felt they had to name themselves after an OCEAN, which ironically, is a 2 hour drive to from the school.

A dishonorable mention to Franklin Pierce. Why name a school after someone who was a failure? (Hmmm, George W. Bush School of Law?)

Duquesne. You go to school at Dairy Queen?

Gonzaga. Why not just name it Zaxxon or some other 80's video arcade game. Or, just pick
            something from the elemental chart for heavens sake (e.g. Argon).

And ANY school that is named after "rich sounding" names: Chapman, Colegate, Stetson, Vanderbilt.

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
"Delaware - Fighting Hens, wooooo scary!"

Some of the DJs around here call us the "B!tchin Chickens"--sounds a LITTLE tougher  :D

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2005, 03:22:24 AM »

Great ::)
I just can't picture myself rooting for the Toreros.
I'm just gonna have to stick with my undergrad team.
The Yellow Jacket is only a bee, but at least it's a deadly bee.

Go Toreros!!!...nope.  Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Actually, it's pretty tough on my Asian Tongue.

I hope we meet in the NCAA tournament next year for some mad trash talking.  Better yet, just hope that GA Tech simply makes the tourney next year. :)  Oh let it begin! haha
USD 2L

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »
[
I hope we meet in the NCAA tournament next year for some mad trash talking.  Better yet, just hope that GA Tech simply makes the tourney next year. :)  Oh let it begin! haha

I'm assuming you mean the Arizona Wildcats?
That could be interesting.  Both of us at USD talking trash about our undergrad teams come March Madness.
And OUCH! about the whole "I hope GaTech just makes the Tourney next year" comment.
I'm a little worried myself after losing so many seniors and doing so badly last year.
But, Paul Hewitt is the man, and I have confidence in the young guns.
So, it's sooooo on baby! I can't wait for next March!
Bring it on!!!