Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane Law Conversation  (Read 2038 times)

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tulane Law Conversation
« on: April 09, 2005, 12:30:05 PM »
For my fellow Tulane groupies, I just thought I'd create this post. I've been in close contact with a faculty member and a recent graduate ('04) who is also from DC.
First of all, both of them raved about Tulane and it was genuine. The faculty member actually raved about the faculty. She went to Stanford and said she had like no interaction with her professors--doors always closed--whereas at Tulane the faculty are apparently tremendously accessible. She also raved about opportunities around New Orleans, especially in Criminal Law and said that the Sports Law program is perhaps the most respected in the nation. She also said the atmosphere was tremendously collegial, and that the students really do become enamored with the city.
My conversation with the recent grad was also excellent. He's doing public interest work in DC now and loves it. The one thing he did say is if you want to do BIGLAW, you need to be awfully proactive/gung-ho from the get-go. He was very realistic about a Tulane degreee not being a UVA degree or what have you, but he said the atmosphere was spectacular. And while he said each class differs, his class was very close--nobody was ripping pages out of books in the library--people hung out together, lived together. He suggested living near campus, though some choose to live elsewhere, but he cautioned me that car insurance rates fly up in New Orleans, even moving from DC--for what that's worth. He also said the workload was solid but not too onerous--in the first year they scare you, the second they work you and the third they bore you, which he said was the cliche that holds true at most law schools. Ultimately, he said it was the best three years of his life--he picked Tulane over American and Wash U, and does not regret it a bit. Was very active in intramural sports as well, which I'm fired up to get into. Anyways, I don't know if that was all that informative, but it does have my spirits up even higher....
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tulane Law Conversation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 02:44:52 PM »
Bump

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 06:56:16 PM »
How's the recent graduate dealing with Public Interest with all those student loans?
Or was he fortunate enough to earn a signifigant scholarships?

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the post, is anyone here from the boston area? If so is anyone elso going to the april 14th get together?
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 12:35:21 PM »
He actually didn't get a scholarship, but he said he came away without "significant debt", leading me to believe his parents must have helped him or something. Oh, and as for rent, I left this out. He was in a house with some other law students--3 of them Uptown--he paid 350 a month. Coming from DC, that is def. music to my ears.
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 05:27:36 PM »
Sent on my deposit on Wed.  Can't wait.  Have you all been getting those post cards in the mail every couple of weeks?  Those really are a nice touch. 
  Have you all started to figure out housing yet?  Haven't looked at the admitted web site in a while, do they have a bunch of new stuff up there? 
  I can't understand why their international law program isn't ranked in US News.  That's just complete horse sh-t. I mean, what school in the US could possibly teach int/comparitve law better given the Louisiana Legal System?
   Is anyone else hoping to do an exchange semester somewhere?  I was pretty psyched about wanting to do Hong Kong before I saw that they only allow 2 kids to do it per semester...oh well, just means I'll have to bust my ass enough to be in a position to be able to be one of the two.
    In terms of quality of life and future prospects, I think that all of us are making the smartest decision we could make. If I had the #s for Duke or UVA, sure, but once you're outside the t-10 it's all meaningless anyway.  Hope the winter's not too bad next yr for all you BC, BU, WUSTL people!
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 06:58:07 PM »
I think I'm going to wait untill June before I start looking for housing I called the law school and they actually said that starting in June would be fine- and no move in dates of june, july 1st- However she also said that you do want to get an apartment before July so it looks like June is the best time.
159/168

SaintsFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »
There're still plenty of apartments in July (the one I'm in now will be opening up August 1st, even if I end up at Tulane). Here's my two cents on moving to New Orleans:

-Try to find something on or near a major road, i.e. S. Claiborne, S. Carrollton, St. Charles, or Broadway. The price increase is very minor (I pay $280/mo to live on the streetcar line with a few roommates), you'll feel much safer coming home late at night, and you'll have easy access to the streetcar whenever you want to go to the Quarter (where parking can be an absolute nightmare).

-Don't overpay for housing. A lot of landlords will slightly remodel the interior of a house and jack up the rent a few hundred dollars. Sure the new paint looks nice, but chances are you're still living in a hundred year old house with wiring older than your parents. The cost of housing in the city varies a lot -- independent of any real difference in quality or location -- so be sure to shop around...unless you don't mind paying $100-150/mo for a coat of paint  ;D.

-Take a good look at the space heaters and window units before signing a lease and be sure the landlord agrees to fix any that are broken. I'm assuming many of you are coming from houses with central air/heat and haven't had to use either very often. Many landlords will use refurbished window units in their apartments, so they usually have a very short lifespan -- especially in a city where you'll be running them constantly for several weeks at a time. The quality of the space heaters can vary a lot since most of them are about 30-40 years old (I'm guessing). Be sure to light them and make sure you don't smell gas while they're running...if the gas isn't burning completely, it can be really dangerous to run them while you sleep.

-I know a lot of people are coming from cold climates and are expecting extremely mild winters, but believe me, the humidity in New Orleans can make the cold pretty bone-chilling. Having spent several winters in the north, I'd say the really cold days feel about 10 degrees colder than the same temperature would in New England or the upper Midwest. It's a lot like walking along Michigan Ave in Chicago - the cold has a way of getting through your clothes no matter how tightly bundled you are. The good news is the winters are fairly short (most years, you'll be wearing sweaters in late October, coats by early November, and T-shirts and shorts by late March). By the time Jazz Fest rolls around, the weather is usually incredible (mid-70s, reasonable humidity levels) and you'll be spending waaaay too much time at Audubon Park or the riverfront.

-General nightlife: If you're looking to go crazy, visit Bourbon or one of the more popular uptown clubs - Quills, The Boot. If you're looking to go somewhere upscale where you can kick back and hang out with some friends, check out Monkey Hill or Rasputin. If you're looking to go dancing, check out Twiropa or Tipitina's. One Eyed Jack's is supposed to have a pretty decent 80s night. If you want to grab a few beers with friends, check out the bars on Magazine or in Mid-City. You can usually find good music all over the place. The Maple Leaf in Uptown usually has some good bands, and the Neutral Ground Cafe has great atmosphere and decent local musicians. If you feel like going into the city, there are a lot of good places on Frenchmen street, but it is a good bit more touristy than the Uptown area.

That's it. HTH

EDIT: While I'm at it, I guess I ought to point out where NOT to live:
-On this map - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=S%20Claiborne%20Ave%20%26%20S%20Carrollton%20Ave&city=New%20Orleans&state=LA&zipcode=70112&searchtab=home - the area between S. Claiborne and Earheart on the left of S. Carrollton is pretty sketchy. On the other side of S. Carrollton (between Notre Dame Seminary and S. Claiborne) there's some nice housing that's definitely safe. Both sides of S. Carrollton on the bottom side of S. Claiborne are safe - a lot of Tulane and Loyola students live there. The streetcar starts at the star on the map and runs on S. Carrollton toward the bottom left of this map. It's about a 20 minute ride from the star to Tulane by streetcar and a 5-10 minute ride by car. Below S. Claiborne and to the left of S. Carrollton is safe for the first several blocks, but you should probably stop looking once you get past Cambronne. If you zoom out one level and go south once, you can see the rectangle made by Broadway, S. Claiborne, S. Carrollton, and St. Charles. That's a safe area and is pretty popular for students. Once you get past Nashville, there's a big variation in safety from block to block, but you should be alright as long as you stay within a few blocks of St. Charles. The neighborhoods around Napoleon Ave (bottom right) are usually pretty nice, but that's about as far away from Tulane as I'd recommend unless you have a car. Tulane and Loyola make up that big purple area in the middle of the map.

-Also this area - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=Prytania%20St%20%26%20Jefferson%20Ave&city=New%20Orleans&state=LA&zipcode=70115 - is pretty nice. It's a bit more upscale and pricey than the other area and it's more of a trek to get to the streetcar, but the neighborhood is close to Magazine and the houses are in better shape. Just don't stray too far from Prytania or to far from the schools (directly north of Audubon Park on the left of this map). If you can find affordable housing near the park, that's all pretty safe and in a great location.

lawschoolnumbers.com - SaintsFan

IN - WUSTL (15k), GMU, Wake Forest (3/4 off tuition), Tulane (15k), Lewis & Clark, Temple, Minnesota, Notre Dame (15.5k)
WL - Fordham, W&M, Illinois, Emory
OUT - GULC, GW

Aaron37

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 09:21:38 PM »
That is some great info.  Be careful where you rent your place.  Definitely go SEE IT in PERSON before renting.  Do not trust a realtor or website pic.  Neighborhoods in New Orleans are very tricky.  2-3 blocks matters a lot when it comes to safety. 

If anyone has any questions about New Orleans you can PM me or IM me at abg37 (I'd actually rather talk over IM).  I have lived there for 22 years (since birth).  Also, y'all seem like some cool cats, we should meet up sometime before school starts and grab a beer.
Attending: Tulane

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 09:43:50 PM »
Thank you guys for the helpful info! I actually already asked this in one of the other posts but figure the more opinions the better- am I going to need a car? As from what I've heard car insurance in NO is higher then it would be in Baghdad... Also as a general question are you guys getting apartments with roommates or by yourselves? Another words is it worth saving a couple hundred a month on the chance that you will have a horrendous roommate right when you don't need any distractions? Personally I'm going solo the first year so I can at least meet the person I will room with. Are there any realtors that you would trust in particular for anyone who has lived in NO?

159/168