Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First thing you'll buy when you make the big bucks?  (Read 5093 times)

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
First thing you'll buy when you make the big bucks?
« on: April 08, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »
Ok, so we haven't even started law school, but let's talk about what the first thing(s) you'll buy assuming you're one of the single folks out there that just graduated from college and haven't yet seen a paycheck over a few hundred bucks.

Me:
-C6 Corvette. It's hot.
-Trip to the islands. Somewhere warm.

That will be my present to myself if I get a good job. What will you all get?

ccorsi

Re: First thing you'll buy when you make the big bucks?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 10:10:01 PM »
Ryan,

Clearly you would be better served to buy a clue since you seem to think being a lawyer is about the "Benjamin's."

C2

Alamss

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:37:36 PM »
well it can be, it depends on how you do and your motivation, ryan just might happen to be the head of the legal spear!

Pythagoras

• Sr. Citizen
  • ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:42:23 PM »
Come on Corsi, don't rain on the boy's parade.  Eventually Ryan will graduate, get a job, and realize that those trips to warm places will never happen, and the 'vette will only get driven once a year after he's 40.  (But hey, the same things will happen to the rest of us--in varying degrees).

But while we're on the subject Ryan, may I suggest a Jag instead.  For me, first year bonus = downpayment on silver Jag.  :)
ATTENDING: Columbia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pythagoras22

"Ponme la mano aqui, macorina.  Ponme la mano aqui."

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »
Ryan,

Clearly you would be better served to buy a clue since you seem to think being a lawyer is about the "Benjamin's."

C2

That's an excellent point. Most biglaw associates are compensated solely by what they can pilfer each day in office supplies. That's why they all have such large briefcases.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Alamss

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:45:19 PM »
and since this just a light hearted thread, I am going to buy myself a little cessna 172 prop plane and fly around. Was planning on being a pilot a few years ago and still love flying. and I also want a boat. I just want things with which I can travel all terrains of the world, and a regular car will do, definetly a jeep though, I need to update my grand cherokee.

the REAL desi

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 12:02:33 AM »
money is overrated.  you'll just resent someone who has more than you.  thankfully, i won't be in debt, so i think i will start investing as much $$$ as possible (real estate, stocks, etc).

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 12:21:22 AM »
yi
money is overrated. you'll just resent someone who has more than you. thankfully, i won't be in debt, so i think i will start investing as much $$$ as possible (real estate, stocks, etc).

Money is overrated, so you're.... thankful you'll be able to pursue a strategy that will allow you to have as much money as possible. There's a subtle flaw with that logic, but I just can't spot it....
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 12:34:24 AM »
That will be my present to myself if I get a good job. What will you all get?

An antique desk and a beautiful pen with which to write my $2000/mo loan checks!  ::)

Franz

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 12:41:12 AM »
i highly doubt any of you people are going to make the 'big bucks' but good luck with that. and a corvette? that is pathetic.