Law School Discussion

First thing you'll buy when you make the big bucks?

jessa218

Re: First thing you'll buy when you make the big bucks?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 01:04:07 AM »
I will buy a nice horse (dutch warmblood or hanoverian). I will also invest in a farm so I can raise and train horses, along with rescue unwanted dogs, cats, and parrots. I will hire someone else to clean up all the poop.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 02:02:41 AM »
I will most certainly be purchasing a Mercedes Benz E55 - the current model, unless the W212 that replaces it is affordable (in relation to my salary).

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 07:18:50 AM »
But while we're on the subject Ryan, may I suggest a Jag instead.  For me, first year bonus = downpayment on silver Jag.  :)

Hey, I want a Jag, too, but a vintage metallic light green one.  Hubby wants a Jeep.  Kids want a college education, so I guess I'd better squirrel away some $$ for that, too.

PresClay_00

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 10:13:14 AM »
the wife a beemer - i'll prob keep my tahoe a little longer and she doesn't like MB

zakrob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 10:22:08 AM »
A new car. My husband and I have one vehicle between us and its the '95 Toyota Tacoma I bought new when I was 18. I love that truck and still think of it as my 'new' truck, even though it is almost 10 years old! But, I'd really just like a new car and preferably one that seats more than two people.  ;)

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
Some of you people are stupid. This was a thread for shits and giggles to talk about stuff you would like to have, not a discussion on the merits of greed/material possessions, why I want to be a lawyer etc... Take your agenda elsewhere and pull the large object out of your asses. Thank you kindly.

Now, who dared to insult my vette, and yet didn't have the balls to offer up what they think is a better car for the money?
And a Jag? I thought you had to show proof of AARP membership to purchase one of those?

Performance-wise, the best "bang for the buck" performance vehicle from recent years would have to be the 2003 or 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra - supercharged 390 HP, and with simple modifications, it's making well over 500 HP...

But yes, the new Corvette is indeed a beast (much like the previous model Z06) and if you want to account for power, comfort, looks, prestige, etc. - it's most certainly the best car for the money.

bradzwest

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 12:24:23 PM »
LSAC...and fire everyone.

jdw112

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 12:31:26 PM »
A new checkbook with funny looking cartoon characters. I'll need something humorous to look at each time I pay part of my student loans. They say humor can heal, I guess we'll see.

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
;) ;) ;) was hoping someone would catch on to that

Thank you for having a sense of humor about it. ;).

In any case:

seriously, only t.t.t. are the ones trying to acquire all these meaningless material possessions.

I dunno. I'm not much for material posessions myself (at least, not by Amerian standards), but they're hardly meaningless. I rather like my TiVo, my laptop, my elliptical, my Saturn and my books (that and various personal items—i.e., clothes and some books are about all I own).

I actually don't see the big deal about cars. A BMW is undoubtedly a better car than a Saturn, but there's no way it's so much better that it's worth four times the cost. It's a car. It gets from point A to point B. If possible, I intend to stay low class, car-wise. [Which I think I can get away with, assuming I don't drive clients around].

plus, $125k a year isn't that much money - especially since 1) it is unlikely that you will make partner; 2) when you realize that you won't be making partner, you'll take a significant pay cut to work somewhere else; 3) if you have debt, you'll still be paying it off.

Don't forget bonuses! But, yeah, your analysis is pretty solid. Also, the high income means that a lot of your cash will be going to the taxman, particularly if you choose to work in a 'blue' state.

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »
Anyway, to return to the intent of this topic: I'll buy my own house. Bigger than I need, room for someone to move in if the need ever arises. ;). I don't need more 'stuff', but I would love a house to call my own. :). That won't be the first thing I buy, of course. The very first thing I'll purchase is a drink. Make that a whole fleet of drinks.