Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wierd email from American - Was I accepted?  (Read 1661 times)

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd email from American - Was I accepted?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 01:58:37 PM »
They sent out a bunch of letters two days ago for the JD program, FYI

Complete since Jan, and I still have not gotten a decision from AU, and I live in near DC.  If they sent mine out two days ago. I should have it by now.  I guess it means I have to wait for the next round? ???
This sucks royally. Can they be any slower?
Not sure I'll attend AU even if they let me in, but I would like to have that option.

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
They sent out a bunch of letters two days ago for the JD program, FYI

Complete since Jan, and I still have not gotten a decision from AU, and I live in near DC.  If they sent mine out two days ago. I should have it by now.  I guess it means I have to wait for the next round? ???
This sucks royally. Can they be any slower?
Not sure I'll attend AU even if they let me in, but I would like to have that option.
Being from DC you know that the USPS gives a new meaning to the term "snail mail." It's incredibly slow and you might still receive something yet. Good luck.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 06:34:41 PM »
It would be really bizarre if the university extended an offer for only half of a dual degree program, don't you think?  My gut feeling is that SIS waits until the law school has a decision before making one since it would be pretty silly to admit someone to a program they can't attend (i.e. being admitted to the MA half but not the JD one).  Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I just can't accept that a major U.S. university could be that ass-backwards.
I give up.  I just can't be bothered to update the lists anymore. =p

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 08:23:47 PM »
It would be really bizarre if the university extended an offer for only half of a dual degree program, don't you think?  My gut feeling is that SIS waits until the law school has a decision before making one since it would be pretty silly to admit someone to a program they can't attend (i.e. being admitted to the MA half but not the JD one).  Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I just can't accept that a major U.S. university could be that ass-backwards.

I applied for the JD/MA program and was admitted to WCL a month or two ago. Then, a few days ago I received a separate acceptance from SIS.  I've spoken to both schools admissions offices and they told me (as did the acceptance letters) that the candidate is considered for each school independently.  So, I would say you have been admitted to SIS (I also got that email), but WCL has not yet made a decision.  When I spoke to SIS they said they would be sending out their decisions in early April, and WCL, I guess, has until the deposit deadline, the 15th, to let you know.

If you have gotten into either school you are free to attend it without other, and obviously if you gotten into both you can do that.  I also think it is silly for them to do things this way, and I'm also sorry to say that American is that ass-backwards, but I hope this helps.  Hopefully, you'll hear back from WCL, with some good news, soon.

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 08:35:52 PM »
Well, that kinda bites.  Knowing my luck, I'll be dinged by the LS in a week or two.  In any case, thanks for the information.

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
SIS?

Have I mentioned my lawyers?
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 02:11:20 PM »

I would think this would be very bizarre as well. Nonetheless, I checked my mail box last night to find an envelope from WCL...with a waitlist letter inside. With all of these waitlists, I guess I was way off in my impression of law school admissions. I thought that having a 3.47/161 would gurantee me admission in at least one tier 1 program (FT), but apparently not. I guess it's PT at GW for me. I think I can handle one semester of PT before switching over.

Well, best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear from American!
GW

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »
This situation has happened to me at minnesota as well. I was accepted to their MPH program but was deferred at the law school. Oh well, I with locaste on being admitted, guess we messed up.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 04:54:38 PM »
Seems like American just doesn't have its *&^% together, at all.  What institution of higher learning would allow one college to admit a candidate and another to defer/waitlist/deny?  Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have the primary degree granting school make a decision before the secondary school makes one?

This thread has lowered my impression of American quite a bit.  I'm not sure I'd even go there if WCL admits me.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »
That's all so weird! I applied for the JD/MA Int'l Affairs, too. I got accepted to WCL last month & my letter said that someone was still reviewing the MA part of the application. But no e-mail in the recent past, although I haven't checked my spam folder.

I decided to do a masters first, anyway, (so I hope it helps some of you!) but still, that's odd.

Good luck!
Georgetown c/o 2011