Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wierd email from American - Was I accepted?  (Read 1656 times)

locaste

• View Profile
Wierd email from American - Was I accepted?
« on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:28 PM »
I woke up this morning to find an email from American's School of International Service, inviting me to attend their "Admitted Students Graduate Day."  What makes this wierd is that I haven't gotten anything from American yet that says I was admitted.  Since international law is the area in which I want to concentrate, and because my work experience is entirely international (I live and work in Japan) I can understand why SIS would have my email address.  I just don't want to get excited since everyone might have gotten this email by accident.

Someone tell me what it means!
I give up.  I just can't be bothered to update the lists anymore. =p

soupnazi

Re: Wierd email from American
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »
I'm still pending, didn't get it, but I don't have anything about intl law on my app.  I would have given the admissions office a call, but it sounds like you are in.

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:27:33 PM »
I tried to call but they seem to be closed for the day already.  It's only 7:30am here and I have a hangover (we had the new teacher welcome party last night) so I don't think I ought to talk to anyone on the phone right now anyway.

If I really did get in I'm gonna explode.  It was a super reach and was one of my top choices because of their international program.  Someone please tell me that this email wasn't a mistake!

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 08:44:56 PM »
I tried to call but they seem to be closed for the day already.  It's only 7:30am here and I have a hangover (we had the new teacher welcome party last night) so I don't think I ought to talk to anyone on the phone right now anyway.

If I really did get in I'm gonna explode.  It was a super reach and was one of my top choices because of their international program.  Someone please tell me that this email wasn't a mistake!

Mind sharing your numbers? 

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »
Interesting that you mention that. I received odd emails also, and didn't receive my acceptance packet until long after I'd received a couple of emails hinting at my acceptance...

locaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »
Numbers: 160/3.57.

I went back to LSACD and reviewed my application and sure enough, I had checked the box for the joint JD/MA in International Affairs.  The MA part happens to be run by SIS (School of International Service, the guys who emailed me), and according to the WCL website each school sends its own acceptance letter in the mail.  This leads me to believe that I was accepted by SIS for the MA portion (and therefore WCL for the JD part as well).  Of course, it could also just be a goofup.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was since my luck during this process has been absolutely horrible.

All I need is for one LSDer who applied for the joint degree to tell me they got this email.  I need to know what's going on so I don't spend the entire weekend with my guts tied in knots.  ;)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd email from American - Was I accepted?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 11:44:02 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and guess you got in.  The JD/MBA joint degree decisions probably come out a bit later and they just had their regular admitted students day.  I don't hear of many "mistakes" like that either.  I'd give them a call hungover or not and ask.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

namaste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »
I can't shed too much light on this, although it sounds like you've been admitted for the Masters and the JD app. is still pending.

I called American yesterday (Friday morning) and was told that all applicants should receive a decision (Accept, Deny, WL) by the end of THIS month.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 12:05:03 PM »
Numbers: 160/3.57.

I went back to LSACD and reviewed my application and sure enough, I had checked the box for the joint JD/MA in International Affairs.  The MA part happens to be run by SIS (School of International Service, the guys who emailed me), and according to the WCL website each school sends its own acceptance letter in the mail.  This leads me to believe that I was accepted by SIS for the MA portion (and therefore WCL for the JD part as well).  Of course, it could also just be a goofup.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was since my luck during this process has been absolutely horrible.

All I need is for one LSDer who applied for the joint degree to tell me they got this email.  I need to know what's going on so I don't spend the entire weekend with my guts tied in knots.  ;)

I also applied for the joint JD/MA. I didn't get the email you're talking about, but two days ago SIS sent me an admissions letter in the mail. It basically said that so far I had been accepted to the MA half only. I still haven't heard anything from the law school. But I highly doubt that it's a goofup. Your MA acceptance package is probably coming in the mail soon. What I don't know is if the MA acceptance is any sign of acceptance to the JD program.
GW

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
I too was sent an acceptance in the mail and am waiting on the JD portion. They sent out a bunch of letters two days ago for the JD program, FYI
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825