Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about Work Study  (Read 884 times)

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about Work Study
« on: April 08, 2005, 05:14:59 PM »
I just recieved my finanical aid letter and besides the loans and other aid it also mentions work study.  I don't really know too much about work study, is it generally advised not to do this first year?  Are most of the work study jobs research jobs?  Any information or advice anyone has would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Work Study
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:03:59 PM »
I just saw the same thing on my school's website.  They awarded me work study.  If the recommend not working during 1L, why even award this? 

Towlie

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 02:05:01 PM »
Because some people NEED to work for various reasons. I got awarded work-study at Georgetown, and it paid something like $15 an hour -- to swipe cards at the library. I would have taken them up on it if i I went there and avoid an extra $4000 in loans (which, before GRAD PLUS came around, I didn't know if I would be able to get loans because of my credit)

If you don't NEED it though, don't do it.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
Because some people NEED to work for various reasons. I got awarded work-study at Georgetown, and it paid something like $15 an hour -- to swipe cards at the library. I would have taken them up on it if i I went there and avoid an extra $4000 in loans (which, before GRAD PLUS came around, I didn't know if I would be able to get loans because of my credit)

If you don't NEED it though, don't do it.

That sounded like a good deal...I used to swipe cards on my campus job, and i was to get in a lot of reading in betwen.  How many hours would you have worked Towelie, if you had gone to Gtwon?  I know that students cannot work more that 20 hours per week...I would assume that the package would be for 8-10 hrs per week?
Columbia 3L

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:54:46 PM »
Well, it's either private loans (and I do have good credit, which is a blessing), or do the work study. 

If it's easy work, I could try it second semester when the course load is easier.

phooey

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:42:45 PM »
I need it and I'm doing it.  I asume it's going to be about 10 hrs per week in the library or an administrative office.
I debated it for several weeks and decided to go for it in the end because I'm doing summer-start, which means I'll have a lighter than typical first semester course load.  Also, it will be really nice to be able to bring home some extra non-loan money, and not have to leave campus to earn it.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:26:51 PM »
I asked about the possibility of getting work study added into my financial aid package so I wouldn't have to find a job off campus and they said that it would reduce the amount of loans that I could get. I think it will make more sense to get a job off campus, at least for me.

on that note, since we're not supposed to and it's "the worst idea ever" is anyone else working their first year to off set cost of living??  i figure most people go out one or two nights a week anyway, so why not be the bartender instead of the patron?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »
One of the women in the "current student panel" at Wisconsin's admitted students weekend worked full time all through law school.  I was pretty impressed with that!  That must mean it is doable though.  She was on the panel, and had a great 2L summer job, so she has to be doing fairly well. 

Gives me a little hope!

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
One of the women in the "current student panel" at Wisconsin's admitted students weekend worked full time all through law school.  I was pretty impressed with that!  That must mean it is doable though.  She was on the panel, and had a great 2L summer job, so she has to be doing fairly well. 

Gives me a little hope!

That's so great to hear. I keep feel like everyone is telling me "don't do it you're not allowed it's the worst idea ever your grades will take a nose dive" but no one is listening to me saying "the stress of not having an income and taking out tons of loans with no guarantee of employment to compensate for the debt will affect my grades more"

I think the trick is finding the right job and finding the right combination of hours. I'm going to aim for twenty hours a week but will probably hold off until semester two.

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:33:55 PM »

Gives me a little hope!

That's so great to hear. I keep feel like everyone is telling me "don't do it you're not allowed it's the worst idea ever your grades will take a nose dive" but no one is listening to me saying "the stress of not having an income and taking out tons of loans with no guarantee of employment to compensate for the debt will affect my grades more"

I think the trick is finding the right job and finding the right combination of hours. I'm going to aim for twenty hours a week but will probably hold off until semester two.

This is what I am hoping for.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!