Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD PT  (Read 1830 times)

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
Re: USD PT
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 01:03:26 AM »
I toured the campus before I applied and wrote that on the application under the part that says "This part has nothing to do with acceptance - How did you hear about us?  Internet? Tour of Campus? Alumni?"  Here is something that they told me on Monday though.  If you haven't been to the campus yet, you'll see that the parking lot is right next to the law school building (maybe a couple hundred feet).  The faculty told me that after 4:00 there are lots of open parking spots.  One of he teachers there told me that she doesn't even buy a staff parking permit anymore because there are so many open parking spots open after 4.  That was good news for me since I will be working downtown - about a 20 minute drive in traffic.  I get out at 5 and class starts at 5:30.  They told me that I'd have no problem finding a parking spot and getting to class on time. 
In at USD

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 05:25:55 AM »
Congrats!! Will you wife be PT also or FT? Either way hopefully will see you both this fall.

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 11:18:49 AM »
Congrats!! Will you wife be PT also or FT? Either way hopefully will see you both this fall.

Thanks DumbMe.
My wife will also be PT.
After working for several years, we both can't swallow the idea of giving up some kind of salary during LS.  Plus, PT will ease both of us back into school.  She is excited about the summer program in europe.  Great way to visit europe, get up to 11 units credit and boost your GPA.
Since you are FT, tt will be hard to meet eachother, but I hope to run into you on campus (perhaps studying in the library?).  We will be moving clear across the country from near DC, and so we'll need to make new friends.

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
Congrats, everyone!

A month ago maybe I would consider going PT to San Diego (since that's where my brother will be next year for undergrad).  Because they're making me wait so long, though, and I've already paid a deposit at another school, I don't think I can consider it any longer.  Kind of annoying, actually.  :-\

Thanks Matokah,
I think you'll be getting your letter any day now.  I know you are considering Catholic, but it seems to me that if you get USD, you should go there.  Even if it's PT.  It's easy enough to transfer to FT anyhow.  Catholic is a great school, but it's tough to compete against GULC, GW, GMU, AU, and UM.  Not to mention all the UVA, Richmond, W&M, and W&L grads that apply in DC.  I love the fact that USD, while considered below Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, Davis, Loyola, and USC in CA, it's the best LS in San Diego.  You can't beat that.  I believe USD grads make up the majority of attorneys in San Diego (6th largest metropolitan area in US, I think).

I know of only two Catholic grads.  One is not even practicing law (now a realtor).  The other is a patent agent, and so it really doesn't matter for him where he graduates from.  And as a comparison, I know several American grads who are working as temps or struggling to get any job at all.  Considering AU should do a bit better than Catholic, I'm not crazy about employment chances at American, let alone Catholic.  So, I hope you won't prematurly cross USD off the list.

Khalil Greene

• Sr. Citizen
  • USD or Bust!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
Very happy about this.  ;D
USD is the only school my wife has been accepted to so far, and so I really needed this one.
Letter date 04/05/2005.
156/3.0

Unless my wife hears good news from Hastings, I'm headed to San Diego.

Congrats Short!

How did the interview w/ F&R go?
"You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f*ckin' education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library"

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 02:02:07 AM »

Congrats Short!

How did the interview w/ F&R go?

Thanks Khalil.
The interview went great. Fish is a class act.  They gave my wife and I ZOO tickets and paid for our dinner on top of paying for all my expenses for interviewing there.  Partners are accessible and friendly to associates.  In fact, the only way you's tell them apart is by the size of the office.  I should find out next week.  I've got a good feeling about it, but trying not to count my chickens before they hatch.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 04:43:36 PM »
I noticed you got into UC Hastings, are you going to go USD PT instead of hastings full time? You might want to reconsider, I've heard that the top students at USD after 1L try to transfer into UC's like hastings, davis etc. I know if I had the choice between PT at USD and full time at hastings I'd go hastings without question.

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 05:35:07 PM »
I noticed you got into UC Hastings, are you going to go USD PT instead of hastings full time? You might want to reconsider, I've heard that the top students at USD after 1L try to transfer into UC's like hastings, davis etc. I know if I had the choice between PT at USD and full time at hastings I'd go hastings without question.

Mormally, I would agree with you.
But, my wife and I are both applying to LS, and USD is the only school that we both got into.
Also, If I can get the job at Fish, it really doesn't matter where I get my LS degree.
IP firms will look at my PhD in Biomedical Engineering more so than my LS diploma.
So, it's more important for me to go to the best school that my wife gets into.
I hope she gets into Hastings, but if not, I'll be fine at USD.

katesq

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 01:33:34 PM »
Hi guys!
I just found out that I'll be going to USD PT in the fall too!
Has anyone received a fa decision yet?

happyhangingjudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
Still waiting :( 

Did you apply to just PT?  What are your numbers?