Law School Discussion

USD Evening program???

USD Evening program???
« on: May 26, 2004, 06:27:28 PM »
So I got accepted today at USD, however I got into the evening program instead of the day one.  Is anyone else doing this evening program?  What are the advantages/disadvantages?  They say you can still graduate in three years (by doing summer school during IL summer).  I guess part of my question is, are the people in the evening program the ones who wanted/needed to work, or are they mostly people whom USD deemed not as competitive?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: USD Evening program???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »
It is both... however, there is a caveat.  The information I have, which comes from the #1 Admin office student assistant, follows:

USD got 4000 applications for the day program last year for their approx 260 day seats.
They received 400 applications for approximately 110 night seats.

USD first runs the applications for Days and nights seperately.  Then if you got dinged for days, they will consider you for nights, if there are no 'qualified' night candidates left to fill available night seats (who wanted nights in the first place)

Based on this, unless they changed their behavior, you were deemed not competitve for the day sections, and got one of the remaining night seats which werent filled by qualified locals who wanted to do nights. If you look at the night section, their numbers are on average lower than the day section, guess they give more leeway to 'nontrad' students. (myself included, I applied to the night program directly)

My plan was to go to USD at night and not work... this will not happen apparently because my 650 average credit score isnt enough for private loans, and staffords dont cover the cost of night tuition anymore (they raised the cost by like 4K since last year)...  So maybe Ill see you this fall, maybe not, I sent them a letter asking for help navigating the funding mess, but so far they have ignored me, and now they arent even answering their phone... They are supposed to be open till 6 on Wednesdays, and they closed early today.

After turning down full scholarships out of town cause I wanted to go to USD instead, I am beginning to suspect I made a monumental mistake.....

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 02:20:26 PM »
Wow sorry about the problems.  I hope it works out for you.  I had the same problems for undergrad trying to pay for NYU.  It comes down to whether you have people who can co-sign for you or not.  Do you think most evening students work or just use the extra time to study.  Perhaps you could make up some of the tuition that way.  The other thing is i'm sure that you could get by with less than the budget states.  At NYU i know i borrowed 30 instead of the 40 they had on their budget.

forthguy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »
Do you think most evening students work or just use the extra time to study.  Perhaps you could make up some of the tuition that way.

The general reports I've heard (over on nontradlaw.com) are that the bulk of the part-time evening students work in varying amounts, and that, in fact, often those who do work are at the tops of their classes over those who don't work at all.  That's entirely anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.  :)

Greg

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 06:50:35 PM »
You will have to go to summer school a min. of 2 summers.  However, USD is a solid school.  Great location/hot chicks.  Conservative, though.  The thing about the evening progarm is that it may seem strange going to class at nite, but taking 4 years is better than going to some crappy school full time, like Southwestern in L.A. The good thing is you stretch your workload, meaning more time to learn, and less finals every semester.  You can get a part time job working 2-3 days during the days, preferably at a local law firm where you can gain valuable knowledge to supplement academics. 

I probably would have gotten in if I applied to part time, as it IS easier to get in.

USD is known outside of SD too.  As for loans, have you tried Perkins Federal loan?  You can get 18,500 in Stafford (no credit check), $3500 in Perkins (also Fed, not credit based), and I dont understnd why 650 is so bad for private loans. 

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 07:19:26 AM »
Actually the USD people said that you could graduate in three years by going to one summer school, but I do wonder how you could do 10 credits in one summer.  Also I think i'm going  to Santa Clara instead; does anyone think this is a serious downgrade?  I want to work in San Fran when i graduate.