Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i need major help (literally)  (Read 2756 times)

bpcheekz

• View Profile
i need major help (literally)
« on: April 08, 2005, 02:27:51 AM »
hey guys.

i am a senior in high school student this fall and i was searching for helpful forums about majors specifically relevant laws chool and i found this place.

this place really seem like a nice community!!!

i wanted to know on what are your tips for me when i am considering..
- majoring in philosophy and minoring in political science (OR VICE VERSA, i haven't decided)))/// or maybe even double major poli sci and philo? will that be an almost impossible task to take on? will i have a life?) (sociology kindaaa seems interesting to me too..)

..by the way, simply to clarify..
- i am planning to major in poli sci, philosophy, history, or sociology even if i don't go to law school because these majors are where my interests and strengths seem to lay (i am not fond of math and chemistry or physhics) so my question is, what can i do with philosophy, poli sci, or sociology major in the real world as careers if i do not become a lawyer? especially a philosophy major, i am leaning toward this because i am very interested in it..  but WHAT CAN I DO WITH A PHILOSOPHY MAJOR?!? i don't want to waste 4 years of my life.

anyways, alrighty thanks guys =)

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
Re: i need major help (literally)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 09:34:59 AM »
Well, I philosophy used to be one of my majors.  Personally I hated it, but that's just my experience.  As to what you can do with it if you decide against law school, here is a link (with some more links) that my former philo advisor directed me to.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/undergrad/text/careers.html
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 05:21:42 PM »
If you want a double major, that's great.  But don't do it to get into law school.  B/c it just won't help much.  It's much better to pick a major you love and do well.  Double majoring just isn't that impressive to law school admissions committees, although good grades are.

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
You should take introductory courses in the fields you are interested in and decide on a major sometime around the fall of your sophomore year.  Picking a major before you start college doesn't make any sense (unless you are preparing for a specific career, like engineering, medicine, or education), because programs differ from school to school.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »
Yep, a double major won't impress the adcomms all that much.  I actually triple majored and have a minor.  It doesn't do much.  Just pick something you're interested in that focuses on both analytical and the writing aspects of academia.  You'll need to be proficient in both in order to be prepared for law school.

Good luck! :)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 02:44:13 PM »
You can actually do whatever you want with a Philosophy major, it's just that a degree in Philosophy, by itself, won't get your foot in the door in most industries. If you can find relevant work experience during undergrad or a solid internship that builds more applicable "real world" skills, Philosophy can lead to plenty of job opportunities.

Just my .02 as a Philosophy grad (biased at all?).

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 03:11:58 PM »
Yep, a double major won't impress the adcomms all that much.  I actually triple majored and have a minor.  It doesn't do much.  Just pick something you're interested in that focuses on both analytical and the writing aspects of academia.  You'll need to be proficient in both in order to be prepared for law school.

Good luck! :)

I agree completely.  Pick something that interests you--whatever that is--and learn to think about it.  (And I do mean learn to think--that's what developing analytical skills is all about, and high schools don't always do it well, if much at all...)

Majors that typically place well in law schools are those where writing and analytical thinking are emphasized, and philosophy falls under that category, but the typical ones are history, political science, etc. Even Sociology would work... Just take GE's until you really know what you like, and then go for it. 

(I have a friend who got into UCLA law as a physics major... Anything is possible--you just have to get the grades and LSAT score and recommendations to make it likely...)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »
...and a solid GPA.

Chris Armstrong

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 04:49:36 AM »
What do you guys think about a business major such as entrepreneurship? I've looked at the class list and they all interest me, but I'm worried there's not enough English, history or critical writing classes to satisfy law school admissions. But I figure if I enjoy the classes I'll do better in school, which will also look great.

be10dwn

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »
I think you should major in physics.  If I had it to do over again, I would trade my History major in for a physics major.  Judging from the last 6 months of trying unsuccsefully to find a non-teaching job I would love to say I was a rocket scientist. LOL