Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGeorge Legal Scholars Day 4/09/2005  (Read 1487 times)

gibbsale

• View Profile
McGeorge Legal Scholars Day 4/09/2005
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:36:27 PM »
 Anyone else plan on attending this event? I will be there, bugging them about what it takes to remain in the top third of the class.

DJ-C

• View Profile
Re: McGeorge Legal Scholars Day 4/09/2005
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 02:11:44 PM »
I'll be there bugging them about the same thing, I plan on keeping my scholarship $$ beyond 1L (although I suppose everyone else does too.) 

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 02:34:23 PM »
 I am a little pissed that they would not provide a room or anything, as I am visiting from MICHIGAN. The woman informed me that they did that only for "legal scholars day," not "law day." I was tempted to tell her that, indeed, I would have gladly had them pay for EVERYTHING for legal scholars day, but as I was in Asia it was logistically impossible to take a domestic US flight.
 That's one negative point...

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:38:22 PM »
Turns out I won't be able to make it tomorrow to ask questions, so can someone ask these two for me:

1. What is the actual attrition rate, and what do you need to do to not get kicked out?
2. If you want to remain in the top third of the class to maintain your scholarship, does that mean you need to be in the top third of all first year students, or the top third of all people who are continuing on (meaning not kicked out) to 2L?

Thank you in advance if anyone asks!

Attending: Oregon
Accepted: McGeorge (w/$), Cal Western (withdrawn), Oregon
Rejected: Hastings, Davis
Withdrawn: USD

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=amantedolciume

DJ-C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »
Amante -- I'll try to remember those for tomorrow, and will post them back here on Monday.

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 12:18:07 AM »
Amante -- I'll try to remember those for tomorrow, and will post them back here on Monday.

To all attending, Good luck at Law Day...and take good notes!  ;D

andrenna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 09:10:39 PM »
so, did anyone actually make it to law day? any information?

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:39:48 AM »
so, did anyone actually make it to law day? any information?

DJ-C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 12:28:22 PM »
I attended Law Day on Saturday and was very impressed.  Answers to Amante's Q's:

1. The Dean of Admissions Adam Barrett (who looks exactly like Bob Sagat by the way) said that the academic attrition rate ends up being about 9-10% each year.  He didn't mention the total attrition rate (including people leaving for non-academic reasons.)  He also didn't specify what gpa you need in order to stay in school, but I assume it has to be above 2.3, which is what you need to graduate (you can get up to a 4.3.)  My small group leader made it sound like you need to be a real @#!*-up to get kicked out though.  Plus, if you do poorly the first semester, you get placed in a class aimed at helping students that are struggling.

2. A few students mentioned that to stay in the top 1/3 of the class you will probably need a 3.0-3.1 gpa, but that it varies each year.  If you do well, not only do you keep your scholarship, but they will award you more money.  They take the left-over money from students who can't keep their scholarships and distribute it to the students who are doing really well.

Adam also stressed that McGeorge is aimed at producing practice-ready lawyers instead of focusing on legal theory (like at Davis and others) which I really liked.  I was pretty much set on McGeorge before I went to law day, but I really enjoyed everything about the school and am happy to be attending this fall.   

DJ-C

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:32:57 PM »
2. If you want to remain in the top third of the class to maintain your scholarship, does that mean you need to be in the top third of all first year students, or the top third of all people who are continuing on (meaning not kicked out) to 2L?

Oops, I just realized I didn't even answer your question, I'll e-mail the dean and ask since I would like to know the answer too...