Law School Discussion

McGeorge Legal Scholars Day 4/09/2005

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: McGeorge Legal Scholars Day 4/09/2005
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 10:40:59 AM »
Thanks m-d-c! I wish I could have gone to ask myself, but I appreciate you doing the asking for me.

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »
hey there mdc! did you get a chance to check out the on campus apartments? i'm wondering how bad/good they are, if they allow little puppies, and if they have a gym. did you take any pictures while you were there?

DJ-C

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 12:05:59 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't take any photos.  The on-campus apartments looked decent (not great), here is a link to some photos on the mcgeorge website: https://www.mcgeorge.edu/campus_resources/housing/on-campus_housing.htm

They do have a gym, but it looked pretty small from the outside, there is a photo of it on the link above.

I think I remember reading that pets aren't allowed, but I'm not positive.  I've heard from students that it's great to be so close to class and the library, but that they probably would have been happier living somewhere else.  A furnished studio is $560, which seems like a pretty good deal since it includes internet and water/garbage.  I asked to be placed on the waiting list for a studio, but I think I'm going to try to find something off-campus (hopefully in midtown.)

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 01:27:37 PM »
thanks for the info, mdc. i apprehensive about the apartments, and now i'm pretty sure i'll look for one off campus.

the kicker? i really want a dog!!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 07:16:55 PM »
I attended Law Day on Saturday and was very impressed.  Answers to Amante's Q's:

1. The Dean of Admissions Adam Barrett (who looks exactly like Bob Sagat by the way) said that the academic attrition rate ends up being about 9-10% each year.  He didn't mention the total attrition rate (including people leaving for non-academic reasons.)  He also didn't specify what gpa you need in order to stay in school, but I assume it has to be above 2.3, which is what you need to graduate (you can get up to a 4.3.)  My small group leader made it sound like you need to be a real #@!*-up to get kicked out though.  Plus, if you do poorly the first semester, you get placed in a class aimed at helping students that are struggling.

2. A few students mentioned that to stay in the top 1/3 of the class you will probably need a 3.0-3.1 gpa, but that it varies each year.  If you do well, not only do you keep your scholarship, but they will award you more money.  They take the left-over money from students who can't keep their scholarships and distribute it to the students who are doing really well.

Adam also stressed that McGeorge is aimed at producing practice-ready lawyers instead of focusing on legal theory (like at Davis and others) which I really liked.  I was pretty much set on McGeorge before I went to law day, but I really enjoyed everything about the school and am happy to be attending this fall.   

I have decided to attend U Pacific (McGeorge). I was happy to hear they broke the top 100 this year on USNWR, but regardless, what attracted me to the school was its practice-focused education. Sure, when i was a teenager or in my 20s, theory was great, but after working in the "real world" for a decade, theory is a luxury that is useless outside of the coffee shop.
I'm not sure what it will take to be in the top 1/3 of the class nowadays. In the past, McGeorge had a hard time getting top-notch students. In fact, students who were given "free rides" 5 years ago would be average students this year.  Now, with Davis (McGeorge's main local competition) averaging 164 LSAT, they don't have any problem attracting better students. So, who knows?

fliingdutchmn

• You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 09:07:55 PM »
I have decided to attend U Pacific (McGeorge). I was happy to hear they broke the top 100 this year on USNWR, but regardless, what attracted me to the school was its practice-focused education. Sure, when i was a teenager or in my 20s, theory was great, but after working in the "real world" for a decade, theory is a luxury that is useless outside of the coffee shop.
I'm not sure what it will take to be in the top 1/3 of the class nowadays. In the past, McGeorge had a hard time getting top-notch students. In fact, students who were given "free rides" 5 years ago would be average students this year.  Now, with Davis (McGeorge's main local competition) averaging 164 LSAT, they don't have any problem attracting better students. So, who knows?

Did you choose MCGeorge over Davis?  If so, did they give you any $?  I was contemplating sending them an app to see if I could get any money from them, but I'm not sure how generous they are. The more I've been thinking about Davis, the more I can see myself in No.Cal.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:39:38 PM »

Did you choose MCGeorge over Davis?  If so, did they give you any $?  I was contemplating sending them an app to see if I could get any money from them, but I'm not sure how generous they are. The more I've been thinking about Davis, the more I can see myself in No.Cal.

I didn't get into Davis. Non-URMs need to be in the 163-167 range to have a reasonable chance of admission, which I was not--oh well. IF I did get in, it would be a hard choice: I got $15K/renewable from McGeorge and I plan to practice in Sacramento. From what I hear, most of the state schools in CA are pretty stingy with money (hence their $23K in-state tuition).