Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell or Vanderbilt?  (Read 2929 times)

the REAL desi

Re: Cornell or Vanderbilt?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 08:15:51 AM »
better?  i can't say that Vandy is better than Cornell in anything.  However, from what i have heard, Cornell's placement is primarily NY, while Vandy places well in DC.

you should contact vandy, but i'm fairly certain that vandy can get you to DC (and Atlanta, B'ham, Chicago, etc)

jdw112

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »
Cornell:
Most-Represented Legal Markets:
New York City - 54%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA) - 10%
New England (MA, ME, NH, CT, RI, VT) - 8%
West Coast - 6%

Median Starting Salaries:
Private Sector $125,000
Public Sector $46,000

Vandy:
http://law.vanderbilt.edu/career/empstat.html
There is a chart on this page that details where most Vandy students go to work. On the about vandy page, it says the average size of the class is 190 students. I cannot offer an explanation for why, but the number of students in DC has been on the decline since 2002. The Vandy webpage has multiple salary ranges, which are dependent on region.

ccorsi

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 09:09:09 AM »
Are you looking for a wife?

If so, go to Vandy.

If you just want to pick the better school - go to Cornell.

C2

CTloser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 12:01:46 PM »
Vanderbilt claims the same median starting salary as Cornell in some regions. Is that because only the best students go to the major markets and make the big bucks?

Also, nobody has explained what exactly is gained by going to the better school.  If the choice were between Harvard and Vanderbilt, I would understand.  But what would I gain by going to Cornell over Vanderbilt besides greater debt?  A better education?  More pay?  More opportunities?  What opportunities?  From where does the disparity arise?

Cornell:
Most-Represented Legal Markets:
New York City - 54%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA) - 10%
New England (MA, ME, NH, CT, RI, VT) - 8%
West Coast - 6%

Median Starting Salaries:
Private Sector $125,000
Public Sector $46,000

Vandy:
http://law.vanderbilt.edu/career/empstat.html
There is a chart on this page that details where most Vandy students go to work. On the about vandy page, it says the average size of the class is 190 students. I cannot offer an explanation for why, but the number of students in DC has been on the decline since 2002. The Vandy webpage has multiple salary ranges, which are dependent on region.

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 12:20:31 PM »
If you don't want to work in the South, go to Cornell.  (That's not to imply that a Vandy grad can't get a job outside of the South, it's just much more difficult than for a Cornell grad.)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 12:29:06 PM »
If you don't want to work in the South, go to Cornell.  (That's not to imply that a Vandy grad can't get a job outside of the South, it's just much more difficult than for a Cornell grad.)

While Vandy is a good law school it does not even approaches Cornell in prestige and quality.  Cornell is historically considered one of the top programs in the country.  Vandy's reputation is more recent.  If you graduate at the middle of the your Cornell class you will still do great in your job searches.  This cannot be said about Vandy.  You will be a lawyer for the rest of life so $54,000 is not that much for a Cornell degree.       

peteybetey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 12:31:42 PM »
In GTO's study, wasn't Vandy's overall placement better than Cornell's?

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 12:34:50 PM »
In GTO's study, wasn't Vandy's overall placement better than Cornell's?

What is GTO? 

peteybetey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »
The guy on xoxo; he studied the data from (I believe) USNews on national placement.

EPH05

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »
I'm in a similar position, and in my case I've tried to break down both schools on a number of factors.

Hiring:
Vandy - better in the south mid-west, but still reputable in NYC or DC
Cornell - solid everywhere but generally stronger at east coast biglaw

Vandy - Pretty Urban with a pretty campus, warm and friendly enviroment
Cornell - Ithaca seems both beutiful and isolated, I'll be visiting soon

Prestige:
Vandy - very strong in the south, but not as highly regarded on the coasts
Cornell - and ivy law school and a t-14

Money:
Vandy - still waiting to hear but I'm expecting a lot of loans and a cheap cost of living
Cornell - the same, but Cornell also gives out need based grants

Personal:
Vandy - I have a long-time girlfriend who I could be with in a city Nashville's size, also I'm intrested in KY politics and Vandy seems pretty strong here.  Importantly I really enjoyed the "feel" of vanderbilt.
Cornell - I currently go to school in the east and Cornell would be an easy lifestyle transition.  My girlfriend could work in NYC and we could travel, but a four hour drive every couple weekedns doesn't sound appealing.  As I said before I'm still waiting to visit, we'll see.

Comments?