Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UConn Wait List woes  (Read 605 times)

yankeeman

• View Profile
UConn Wait List woes
« on: April 07, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
Is anyone familiar with UConn's waitlist practices? 

I got in the PT, waitlisted for their FT. 

Anyone know if I have a hoot in hell of getting bumped up?  Does it hurt if I'm an out-of-stater?

Thanks!

trayd79

• View Profile
Re: UConn Wait List woes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 04:12:19 PM »
If worst comes to worst and you don't get bumped up this semester, you can request a transfer to the full time program next year.  You'll get it, unless you are in bad academic standing.  Don't worry about the out of state thing, rumor has it it will acutally help you, UCONN is pulling for more of a national recognition, not to mention the extra tuition money.  Good luck to you!

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 04:19:43 PM »
I got the same notification. I dropped the WL, though, and accepted the evening division PT. So there's one less person on the WL for you to compete against.

The amusing part is that I never applied for the FT day program. I specifically only applied for the evening division. Oh well...

yankeeman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the wait list!  And thanks, Highway.  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  And they can definitely keep the extra tuition...it's very inexpensive (relatively speaking) to attend up there in CT, rather than NYC, PA, Boston, DC.

Actually, as a plan B, I was going to go PT for a year and then transfer to the FT program, which they do say you can do.  I know that many schools squeeze a 1L curriculum PT, with a summer term, and I assuemed UConn did that, too.

Unfortunately, when I did my research (and, btw, is their website the most user-unfriendly one out there?) I discovered that the PT program is structured so that you can take full-time classes in year 2, but you won't be finished with your first-year classes yet by the time the year 2 fall rolls around.  They actually have 1L classes extending to the second year...even with a summer (June) term, which I think is only moot court.  As the PT is technically a 4-yr program, they take their sweet time. 

Come to think of it...maybe my having me there an extra year, they make more $$ than having me full-time for 3...

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »
I think I spent a few hours going around in circles on their website one day. Finally ran into the list of campus interviews for Winter, 2003. I guess somebody must still need to know that...

Now, if only they would put up any information relevant to, say, 2005. Maybe next year.