Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would a liberal be happy at UChicago?  (Read 2419 times)

underwhelm

Re: Would a liberal be happy at UChicago?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 05:26:28 PM »
And not all self-defined conservatives necessarily buy in to whatever you're categorizing as modern American conservatism.

I really dislike the way many liberals tend to assume that anyone who disagrees with them is not worth listening to.

And I dislike the way you expansively misconstrue my beliefs. Your first statement is not inconsistent with what I've said in this thread, and the second one is a boring generalization that doesn't apply to me.

Well I am glad you have everything figured out.

Like most of my beliefs about the world that I base on observation, this is all subject to falsification... I just haven't seen enough contrary evidence.

Both modern American "conservatism" and "liberalism" - if you choose to use those ridiculously narrow terms - are supported by not only academics and rational thinkers who make sound arguments, and politicians and idealogues that prefer emotional appeal to reasoning. I have my own beliefs on which line of thought is correct, but if you seriously think that one or the other relies more on irrational thinking, you are frankly either dishonest, ignorant, or just plain not looking hard enough.

Well, this all depends on us agreeing what we're talking about, and I doubt we'd be able to pin that down enough to satisfactorily arrive at your conclusion. Particularly because each of your academics and rational thinkers believe and assert non-congruent sets of ideas some of which, within an ideology, might be mutually exclusive.

snikrep

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 10:37:50 PM »
I'm implying that modern American "conservatism" and logical reasoning aren't altogether compatible.

e.g.: http://abstractfactory.blogspot.com/2005/04/in-which-jonah-goldberg-performs-feats.html

LOL, glad to see you got it all figured out!  Let's all make way for the new genius of the 21st century!

Such a pretentious attitude, makes me want to puke :D.  Have fun knowing you're the most logical guy out there!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 03:22:14 AM »
A 'happy liberal' is kind of an oxymoron. Liberals aren't happy unless they have something to whine about. Therefore, a liberal should probably consider a school in Texas.

please.  this kind of comment is entirely nonsensica, and if it's an attempt at sarcasm, it's a failed one. now, if you truly believe this,  i suggest you spend sometime outside your apartment and that you change the channel from fox news.

after having gone to the first part of admitted students' day and talking to both professors and current students of all stripes, "liberals" can very well be happy at Chicago.  No question.  Any reservations i may have had about attending the "conservative" school that chicago has been made out to be were relieved.

as i've mentioned before i'm decidedly liberal, and i would have no problem, whatsoever, enrolling in the school for the fall.

thisis1984

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 03:38:34 AM »
I think it would be more fun (although perhaps more aggravating) to attend a school where your views aren't in the majority.  It's no fun when everyone agrees with you.  :D

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 10:01:01 AM »
A 'happy liberal' is kind of an oxymoron. Liberals aren't happy unless they have something to whine about. Therefore, a liberal should probably consider a school in Texas.

please.  this kind of comment is entirely nonsensica, and if it's an attempt at sarcasm, it's a failed one. now, if you truly believe this,  i suggest you spend sometime outside your apartment and that you change the channel from fox news.

See, this just proves my point.  Whining about FOX News, a 'conservative' news station, in other words, one that doesn't run fraudulent stories about our nation's leader (resulting in 4 executive firings), and one that does not anonymously poll the public trying to find a news story of a soldier dying to trump the news of the president's inauguration day.
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many

underwhelm

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 10:12:43 AM »
See, this just proves my point.  Whining about FOX News, a 'conservative' news station, in other words, one that doesn't run fraudulent stories about our nation's leader (resulting in 4 executive firings), and one that does not anonymously poll the public trying to find a news story of a soldier dying to trump the news of the president's inauguration day.

And you prove mine.

"our nation's leader." What a bunch of mindless claptrap. Is your brain even capable of critical thought? I'm not sure.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »

See, this just proves my point. Whining about FOX News, a 'conservative' news station, in other words, one that doesn't run fraudulent stories about our nation's leader (resulting in 4 executive firings), and one that does not anonymously poll the public trying to find a news story of a soldier dying to trump the news of the president's inauguration day.

you assume too much.  i'm not whining about fox news.  in fact, i'm ok with fox news because i understand the bias built into their reporting just as i understand the biases built into the reporting of other media outlets.

oh yeah, and you've just proved my point.

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 12:31:59 PM »

And you prove mine.

"our nation's leader." What a bunch of mindless claptrap. Is your brain even capable of critical thought? I'm not sure.

Mindless claptrap?  Referring to the president (any president) as our nation's leader?  If the president is not the US's leader, then who is?
3.24/161

Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »

See, this just proves my point. Whining about FOX News, a 'conservative' news station, in other words, one that doesn't run fraudulent stories about our nation's leader (resulting in 4 executive firings), and one that does not anonymously poll the public trying to find a news story of a soldier dying to trump the news of the president's inauguration day.

you assume too much.  i'm not whining about fox news.  in fact, i'm ok with fox news because i understand the bias built into their reporting just as i understand the biases built into the reporting of other media outlets.

oh yeah, and you've just proved my point.

How did I prove your point?  Did I say or imply that I do, in fact, sit in my apartment all day and watch FOX News?  You are also guilty of assumption my friend.  Assuming I have nothing better to do and would even consider throwing my money away on apartment rent.  I actually never watch FOX News, in fact, I cancelled my DirecTv subscription a while back to start saving for school :).  I usually stick to Reuters news since I work there.  They can be a little biased at times, but they're headquartered in England, so they have an excuse :).  Anyway, you shouldn't have to understand bias built into main-stream media because it should be unbiased in the first place.

By the way, I don't know where you live, but here it is a gorgeous day and if I sit here anymore watching FOX News and waiting for your responses, I might kill myself.
3.24/161

Troy McClure

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 03:44:54 PM »
Would a socially liberal and economically moderate Democrat be happy at the University of Chicago? Would one receive a balanced education?

Why not attend a more conservative school and get some fresh perspective on your opinions?  I'd hope they are not so weak that you would be really upset by anything said in a class.