Law School Discussion

Tablet PC's for Law School

A.J

Re: Tablet PC's for Law School
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »
Like funkmonk said... if we're not doing diagrams I don't see the point of shelling out the extra $$$. I can type faster than I write and if I won't be using the features I paid extra for I might as well save the money--it'll be a conventional laptop for me.

It is a conventional laptop for all intents and purposes.  And what makes you assume so readily that you will never need to diagram?  Havent you ever divided a page in half?  Found it useful to write in the margins of a handout (online copy)? 

http://www.superwarehouse.com/ViewSonic_Tablet_PC_V1250_1GHz_Tablet_PC/TPCV1250/p/344594

Take a look

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »
okay I had typed a response but it doesnt seem to be showing up.. so here i go again (hopefully it doesnt come up twice now)

Anyhow, my borfriend told me to look into a tablet PC.. he wishes he would have gotten one for Biz School.. I wish i could "test drive" one to see if its the right computer for me or not.. I've never seen one.. but I have the fear that my handwriting will come out as awkward as it does when I sign my name on those touch screen pads they have at the credit card registers in the mall.. has anybody actually used one to see if its just as easy to write on those as it is to write on paper with a pen?? I actually prefer handwritten notes in class to typing in classes..just because i like to doodle as i write or add diagrams and stuff..  so maybe this will be a good compromise for me?   

A.J

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 01:01:28 PM »
okay I had typed a response but it doesnt seem to be showing up.. so here i go again (hopefully it doesnt come up twice now)

Anyhow, my borfriend told me to look into a tablet PC.. he wishes he would have gotten one for Biz School.. I wish i could "test drive" one to see if its the right computer for me or not.. I've never seen one.. but I have the fear that my handwriting will come out as awkward as it does when I sign my name on those touch screen pads they have at the credit card registers in the mall.. has anybody actually used one to see if its just as easy to write on those as it is to write on paper with a pen?? I actually prefer handwritten notes in class to typing in classes..just because i like to doodle as i write or add diagrams and stuff..  so maybe this will be a good compromise for me?   

I have and Im telling you it converts to your actual handwriting, perfectly.  Go check one out at Office Depot or one of those places.

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 01:04:02 PM »
I have an Acer.  I have never bought (or even considered buying) an Acer in my life, but they are by far the best technology and value wise.  Check out Franklin Covey web page for more info.  I am thoroughly satisfied with mine.  It has a detachable cd-rom drive, as opposed to a built in one, like most laptops have, but the HPs require a separate docking station (~$200) just to use a cd rom drive.  It's a good purchase.  Go for it.  

ormachea

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 01:07:11 PM »
I'm assuming I won't have to diagram based on my experiences in two ConLaw classes ostensibly taught like a law school class (socratic method and purely case-driven). I've 'had' to diagram maybe once total.

Generally my notes have been taken on the brief I typed up at home. I just open up the word doc and type up the extra information learned in class, with a  black letter law rule at the end (which is all that really matters come test time).

A.J

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 01:11:36 PM »
I'm assuming I won't have to diagram based on my experiences in two ConLaw classes ostensibly taught like a law school class (socratic method and purely case-driven). I've 'had' to diagram maybe once total.

Generally my notes have been taken on the brief I typed up at home. I just open up the word doc and type up the extra information learned in class, with a  black letter law rule at the end (which is all that really matters come test time).

But you could very well have taken a diagramming approach could you not have?  Sometimes I like to organize my thoughts on a page in an outwardly expanding pattern and/or left to right and then sideways.  Also, ConLaw?  Is this some college class of yours?  Pre-law or something?  I dont think youll know until you get there.

REMEMBER, THEY CAN FUNCTION EXACTLY LIKE A LAPTOP CAN only with the added bonus of handwriting conversion

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 01:22:21 PM »

But you could very well have taken a diagramming approach could you not have?  Sometimes I like to organize my thoughts on a page in an outwardly expanding pattern and/or left to right and then sideways.  Also, ConLaw?  Is this some college class of yours?  Pre-law or something?  I dont think youll know until you get there.

REMEMBER, THEY CAN FUNCTION EXACTLY LIKE A LAPTOP CAN only with the added bonus of handwriting conversion

i'll admit, i was assuming we wouldn't need to diagram.  but you are right, we won't know until we get there, which is why i'm not replacing my laptop until i have an actual need for it.

i have used a HP tablet extensively in school... wrt functioning as a laptop... that is somewhat true, but they tend to be smaller so that you can hold them easier.  the consequence of this is that the screen is smaller and the keyboard is more cramped.  in addition, at least with the HPs, the keyboard panel is thin and the screen attaches in the center (as opposed to the side on a laptop)... as a result they are kind of top-heavy, which makes them kind of wobly when you type.  also, you are paying for the tablet capability... for the same price, you can probably find a better performing laptop. 

i know there are cases where tablets are clearly a better choice... i'm just waiting to see if this is the case for law school (and i suspect it may not be).

A.J

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
This ones 15 inch.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 01:49:29 PM »
This ones 15 inch.

the website says 12.1 inches...

but yea, there are large screen tablets out there...

A.J

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »
My bad.