Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD/MBA: Why? or Why Not?  (Read 3014 times)

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
JD/MBA: Why? or Why Not?
« on: April 07, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
One of the things I considered early on in the app process was the availability of JD/MBA programs. I kind of stopped thinking about it as a criteria for law school.  But now I will be going to a school that has such a program. 

So for anyone who has experience with a JD/MBA program, I have a few questions.  Is it vitally important that you know exactly why to add the MBA to your degree? It almost seems as though it's a "why not?" thing. For only one more year, why not get another degree.

I understand it is clearly helpful for certain areas of law. And it is also good if you want to go into business and not just law. And I tend to think it could give you a nice resume boost and maybe some more options down the road. 

Can anyone out there offer any insight on this joint degree for me?
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

funkmonk

• View Profile
Re: JD/MBA: Why? or Why Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
when i found out i got into law school, i told my co-workers and manager, because their plans were somewhat dependant on what i did and i didn't want to screw them.

anyways, my manager, who has been involved in a lot of business, said something along the lines of "in some business circles, JD is viewed as the 'real MBA'"... like an MBA but you have to actually work and be smart to get it.

personally, i never heard that before... but just thought i would throw that in there; i thought it was interesting.

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »
To add some comments I've gotten:

I've heard if you have a JD, the added MBA doesnt do that much (read: worthless).  On the other hand, I've heard some firms like to see an MBA when they're lookig for potential partners/managers, etc.

My mentor said an MBA is only worth the time if you can go t10.  If not, screw it.

I have also heard this. But I thought that was mostly because of the connections you make at T10 schools. The JD/MBA, in my case anyway, would be more just to have the degree down the road for professional advancement.   
158 (155+161)/3.1
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L

PresClay_00

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »
in looking at some firms recruiting pages, they offer at 10k bonus to those with an MBA, but that won't cover the cost for most places.  if it's for personal satisfaction, that's another story that you'll have to weigh yourself.

ormachea

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 03:35:46 PM »
I've heard that you still won't really be able to go into business (the business hiring people would be suspicious: (1) you really didn't like business but couldn't really make up your mind, or (2) you couldn't cut it for a law firm.

And, (again from what I've heard), an MBA is pretty much worthless if pursuing a law firm career.

ormachea

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
I was just passing on what I've heard. I don't know how reliable the information really is.

PresClay_00

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »
i think another factor is what type of business you're talking about - securities/prvt equity/ibanking, then it would be helpful, but if you really want to do that, why not try it from the get go.  on the other hand, if you're talking retail, a lot of them will laugh at someone with an MBA b/c they don't think it's necessary.  i've talked with some of the VPs and up while playing golf with Dad and they make reference to needing fing PhDs to mow the lawn like they need MBAs.  it all depends on where you want to put it to use (as if you didn't know that).

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 03:57:50 PM »
I was also considering the jd/mba.  My undergrad degree will be in business, so I could get the dual degree in 3.5 years.  I've decided not to, though.  The reason employers give you $10,000 extra (or whatever the number) is because they want to compensate you as if you were a 2nd year associate when you get on board.  So you're no better off than if you had just gotten the jd.

Also, some food for thought:
When you get sued, who do you call?   A LAWYER
When you need surgery, who do you call?  A DOCTOR
What do you need an mba for?  To run your business?  Not exactly.
Pitt is it!

Prondippe

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:32:40 PM »
I have an MBA - it wasn't worth it.  I wish I had gone to law school when I started my MBA program.  Now I am getting older and don't really feel like I have started my career yet.  Unless you are at a top notch program then an MBA won't do you much good.  I went to a small state school for mine.  So now I will be nearly 32 years old when I get done w/ law school and am feeling a little behind in the whole career thing.  I don't anticipate that the MBA has done me or will do me any good.

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »
I have an MBA - it wasn't worth it.  I wish I had gone to law school when I started my MBA program.  Now I am getting older and don't really feel like I have started my career yet.  Unless you are at a top notch program then an MBA won't do you much good.  I went to a small state school for mine.  So now I will be nearly 32 years old when I get done w/ law school and am feeling a little behind in the whole career thing.  I don't anticipate that the MBA has done me or will do me any good.

I have heard this from several people. I wonder if down the road, though, having the MBA will help you get a job (or promotion) that you otherwise may not have gotten. For instance, maybe it would help get you into an executive-level job. But I just don't know for sure.
158 (155+161)/3.1