Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Houston Soon-to-be 1Ls  (Read 2380 times)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
University of Houston Soon-to-be 1Ls
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:56:31 AM »
I will be attending UHLC this August, and I've been doing a bit of research on the 1L life at UH.  I thought it would be nice to have a discussion board specific to UH 1Ls and helpful information/links, etc.  I have found the following websites to be very informative and specific to UH:

www.members.aol.com/djmcarter/uhlc.html
www.uhoutlines.com
law.uh.edu/organizations/sba/faq.htm

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
Re: University of Houston Soon-to-be 1Ls
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:06:26 PM »
good stuff...thanks for sharing!

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »
This is really good information. Thanks a bunch, tracigu3. I am pretty certain I am going to U of H in the fall. Anyone going to the 16th admitted students weekend?

btw-saw this aritcle today about tuition hikes for this year. I am not sure this maps back to law school since undergrad is mentioned, but it will probably be close to the increase percentage wise, 5%.I think this is a little less than most of the state schools in Texas that were authorized by the legislature to set their own tuition rates.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3122342
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 10:41:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys! I'll be there on the 16th as well.

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys! I'll be there on the 16th as well.
Wish I could go!  Hope ya'll don't mind sharing your experiences when you get back! ;D

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:49:39 AM »
I'll be there on the 16th.  My name is Traci, hope to see you guys there.

law2b

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 10:17:29 AM »
Has anyone gotten their official aid offers? I'm not talking about scholarships but the actually financial aid package....I'm wondering if I should expect nothing but loans like other schools.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 10:54:39 AM »
I have talked with Laura Neal, the UHLC financial aid adviser.  She told me that they began downloading FAFSA reports last week, and plan to begin sending financial aid award letters next week (4/11-4/15).

She also told me I could estimate my need, calculated the same way UH does, by taking my EFC from FAFSA and subtracting the COE (the budget posted on the UH law website, it is around 17K for in-state and 19K for out-of-state); that number would be what the UHLC financial aid office considers my need.  FYI, my EFC is 20,200 according to FAFSA; so, unless I receive a gift from God, I will taking it all out in loans.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:51:38 PM »
I have talked with Laura Neal, the UHLC financial aid adviser.  She told me that they began downloading FAFSA reports last week, and plan to begin sending financial aid award letters next week (4/11-4/15).

She also told me I could estimate my need, calculated the same way UH does, by taking my EFC from FAFSA and subtracting the COE (the budget posted on the UH law website, it is around 17K for in-state and 19K for out-of-state); that number would be what the UHLC financial aid office considers my need.  FYI, my EFC is 20,200 according to FAFSA; so, unless I receive a gift from God, I will taking it all out in loans.

They have the new cost of education already? I've been waiting for that to come out! Any clue on what the max you can borrow is? The first year, I'd like to borrow the max to pay off my credit card (no payments) and pay for the move out here. Plus, gotta buy that laptop. $19k doesn't seem like much. . . Wait, does COE=COA (Cost of Attendance)? Anyone know how it works at UH?

akwolf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:43:06 PM »
You received a full scholarship and some spending money. Nice -- glad to know my tax money will be hard at work paying for your education and credit cards.