Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letter of reconsideration  (Read 1048 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Letter of reconsideration
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:59:20 AM »
A friend of mine asked me to review their letter of reconsideration for a rejection at a school they really want to attend.  I don't think it will do her any good but whatever, it can't hurt, right?  My question is, she has stated the other university she has gotten into of a similar rank, is this a good idea?  Is there any chance that the school will find out and recind on her offer of admission? 
Attending GW in Fall '06

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Letter of reconsideration
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:11:23 AM »
i don't think the letter will hurt, but unless something drastic has changed since the app was submitted, i don't think it'll make a difference in the outcome.  it may very-well be a bad idea to suggest that just because a similarly ranked school granted acceptance then this school should do the same.  adcomms, who probably think they have the best method for evaluating applicants, might interpret such a suggestion as an insult.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:14:23 AM »
I agree with not mentioning the other school. maybe concentrate on her accomplishments since she applied etc., if there are new ones and why she is a good fit for THAT school. As long as she realizes it's a looooooooooong shot.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
If you really really really want to go to that school, give it a shot.  You have nothing to lose.  But you probably have nothing to gain either.  Chances for reversing a denial are smaller than your winning the lottery today, barrying any dramatic changes (like a MUCH IMPROVED LSAT score or winning the Pulitzer Prize).   

tiptoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:18:45 PM »
I would mention the other school, I don't believe they can rescind an acceptance unless you don't send in the deposit by the deadline, you lied on your application, etc... If she never stated to the other school that they were her first choice, all is fair in love and war.  Sending in a letter of reconsideration can not hurt...However, it should be very clear in the letter why your friend feels he/she would be a good candidate and what specifically it is about the school that makes your friend want to attend.  I hope they have already visited, and can refer to their personal impressions of the school.  In other words, it should be one hell of an outstanding letter that your friend is able to sell their self out side of the LSAT score, gpa, or anything else she might have already stated in his/her personal statement. Your friend also needs to be prepared to get rejected from them again, if they are willing to put their self through that again, go for it!   Who knows maybe they will defer your friend if he/she is willing to attend next year...Stranger things have happened.

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 01:33:14 PM »
Is there any chance that the school will find out and recind on her offer of admission? 

That depends...  Is it UT?  :)

Honestly, I don't know if it's even worth it to write a letter.  It might just piss them off (she is basically asking them to put her through the admissions process twice in one cycle) and ruin transfer chances and reapplication chances.  Is your friend willing to wait a year, try to meet with admissions this summer re: what went wrong, and reapply next cycle?  If her heart is set on this school, that's probably more effective than writing a letter about a file on which a decision has already been made.  But if she's not willing to wait, and not trying to transfer, then sure, why not? 

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »
I would wait until next year, especially since it very well could ruin any future chances of attending that school.

If she *must* send it in, I'd remove the reference to getting accepted to a similarly ranked school.  In addition to placing too much emphasis on the USNWR rankings, the adcomm's reaction might be more along the lines of "great, good for you. then go there."  She should focus more on why she is a good fit for that school rather than a similarly ranked school.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am