Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlists and Federal Fin Aid  (Read 648 times)

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
Waitlists and Federal Fin Aid
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:06:46 AM »
I realize that being on a waitlist for a school means that if I'm lucky enough to get in it will be without a scholarship.  However, if I were to be admitted off a waitlist in, say, July, would I be able to get my Perkins/Stafford loans at that school?  I'm guessing the answer is yes, since its they are based on gov't standards, but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows for sure.  Thanks!
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlists and Federal Fin Aid
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:47:27 AM »
I realize that being on a waitlist for a school means that if I'm lucky enough to get in it will be without a scholarship.  However, if I were to be admitted off a waitlist in, say, July, would I be able to get my Perkins/Stafford loans at that school?  I'm guessing the answer is yes, since its they are based on gov't standards, but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows for sure.  Thanks!

You can get Stafford for sure.  But each school has a limit on the amount of Perkins its student body can borrow, do Perkins is less certain. 

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 10:33:50 AM »

You can get Stafford for sure.  But each school has a limit on the amount of Perkins its student body can borrow, do Perkins is less certain. 

If the school did not mention Perkins on my letter re: financial aid (only mentioned stafford) does this mean I can't get Perkins from them?
UVa it is!

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 10:37:58 AM »
Probably.  Call them and see if see if you qualify.  Perkins funds are given only to students with the highest need, because each school has a limited allocation of funds.   

If the school did not mention Perkins on my letter re: financial aid (only mentioned stafford) does this mean I can't get Perkins from them?

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:04:08 PM »
All above are correct, it's my understanding to get a Perkins you had to have applied before 1 Mar 05 (priority loans). If you applied after that you can still qualify for Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized since those don't actually get granted until your first day of enrollment. That's how the lady from the FAFSA office explained it at least

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »
MSU -- you mean you have to have submitted your FAFSA before March 1?
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

jaburk3

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 11:26:28 PM »
Bump