Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SCvs. Pitt  (Read 433 times)

kmoghbel

• View Profile
    • Email
SCvs. Pitt
« on: April 07, 2005, 02:06:29 AM »
Here I am stressing out trying to decide where to go. I have to decide between SC (Southern California area) and going to Pittsburgh.

Here is my criteria:
I would like to have a good shot at a good internship as well as a big law firm.

Obviously, I want a school with a good reputation, good academics, but its also important that I live somewhere fun!!

The biggest complication is that I live in Southern California and that I want to practice here. I wouldnt mind going somewhere new especially to a good urban area that has a vibrant university atmosphere; nevertheless I want to be able to pass the California bar and get placed in the region.

In the area, I am thinking about USD, LOYOLA, and Pepperdine.
Out of state, I am thinking about Pittsburgh.

What do you all think??

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SCvs. Pitt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:23:26 AM »
Pittsburgh fits all of your criteria except getting a job in Southern CA. It's a fun school in a city with lots of universities.  it is insanely cheap to live there without being a nasty ghetto (relatedly, it's the safest large city in the US).  there are also plenty of big and midsize law firm job prospects. It's certainly possible to take a degree from Pitt to CA, but it will take a lot of legwork.  This, at least, is what Pitt grads working in CA report (I am heading to Pitt, but interested someday in living/working in the west). 

FWIW, people on law school boards tend to focus on placement in biglaw firms, and placement in one's first job.  While both are important areas to focus on, most legal employment is NOT in biglaw.  If you can't get a job in CA from a good school out of the area initially, this is not an indication that you simply can't get a job in CA. 

If you are dead set on SoCal as soon as possible, though, I would recommend USD before the other two. 

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:30:42 PM »
Here I am stressing out trying to decide where to go. I have to decide between SC (Southern California area) and going to Pittsburgh.
Here is my criteria:
I would like to have a good shot at a good internship as well as a big law firm.
Obviously, I want a school with a good reputation, good academics, but its also important that I live somewhere fun!!
I don't know why you're 'stressing out' exactly.  You want "a school with a good reputation, good academics, but its also important that I live somewhere fun."
Pitt has these...but you want to live in SoCA!!  So you should go to school in SoCA!  Don't needlessly complicate your choices...believe me, I have and it's no fun
Ugh.  I'd never recommend USD.  Loyola's cool.

kmoghbel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 03:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses, but it all still sounds like the exact same debate that is going on in my head.
Im going to try to ask better questions in order to simplify it hopefully for myself.

On pure academic reputation and on placement in big firms which school is better and by how much (if there could be a ranking that would be helpful as well) THank You!!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:29:04 PM »
if you're really set on practicing in CA after law school, you should go to one of the schools you've listed that's in the area.  as far as comparing acadmeics and placement, pitt and the three SoCal schools are probably comprable for their immediate regions.

worm91f

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 04:38:10 PM »
When
Pittsburgh fits all of your criteria except getting a job in Southern CA. It's a fun school in a city with lots of universities. it is insanely cheap to live there without being a nasty ghetto (relatedly, it's the safest large city in the US). there are also plenty of big and midsize law firm job prospects. It's certainly possible to take a degree from Pitt to CA, but it will take a lot of legwork. This, at least, is what Pitt grads working in CA report (I am heading to Pitt, but interested someday in living/working in the west).

FWIW, people on law school boards tend to focus on placement in biglaw firms, and placement in one's first job. While both are important areas to focus on, most legal employment is NOT in biglaw. If you can't get a job in CA from a good school out of the area initially, this is not an indication that you simply can't get a job in CA.

If you are dead set on SoCal as soon as possible, though, I would recommend USD before the other two.

When you say Pitt is cheap to live there- do you recommend one bedroom apartments or sharing with a roommate? i'm deciding between Pitt and FSU law.

Also- have you been to the campus? HOw is the whole atmosphere of the university?

thanks