Law School Discussion

Vandy Atmosphere

Omey

• If it dont make dollaz, IT DONT MAKE SENSE!!
    • View Profile
Vandy Atmosphere
« on: April 06, 2005, 10:46:57 PM »
I think someone already did a post about this but Id appreciate any advice here.

Ok, so the only reason I dont want to go to Vandy is because it's in Nashville.  I've lived in the Southeast my whole life and kind of want to get out of the region for law school.  Plus, I've heard that Vandy is kind of snobby, with that whole atmosphere included.  Im a minority student who is looking for diversity in the city he lives in, with lots of different people and a very diversified culture.  So far, from people I've talked to, it doesnt look like Vandy or Nashville are anything like that.  Am I right about this, any current students there?

Thanks gang

Omey

• View Profile
Re: Vandy Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 08:14:11 AM »
Anybody? Anybody?

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »
Frankly, Nashville leaves a great deal to be desired. If you are into the frat scene or possibly the off-beat music scene as an undergrad, it might be passable for 3 years at max, but 4 pushes it. All the law students I know seem to be relatively content, but only because they seem to be a bit too busy to worry about the limited offerings of the city. The area around Vandy is nice, but not as cheap to live in as you might expect. The school itself (both grad and undergrad) is beautiful, well-regarded, etc. As per the minority thing, you might find a slight issue with that as an undergrad, although I know plenty of minorities (make your own definition of that word) who have had great experiences. I have also known law students who are minorities, and they seem to enjoy it. Overall, however, I think the prestige of the law school and its great facilities makes up for what the city lacks. Vandy also has a great alum base that is always expanding around the country. HTH.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:53:27 AM »
Vandy is great.  It doesn't sound like the other person who has replied has any first-hand experience.  Everyone at the law school is super nice, and it is a great atmosphere.  Nashville is a fine city, with plenty of stuff to do when you aren't studying.  The people at the law school are not at all snobby.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »
No first hand experience? I went to Vandy and live in Nashville currently.

Rereading my initial post I dont think I stressed enough that I think its a great school and that just about every student from the LS loves it, is very happy with the school, and has plenty of employment options just about everywhere they want to go. Everyone I know from the LS is very nice, not snobby, generally fun, etc. When I talk badly about Nashville, I do so comparing it to other cities, (Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, etc) that I think are better and more enjoyable. I am pretty particular, demanding, easily bored etc....so you might enjoy it. There are those that really like Nashville, I am not one of them, its an opinion, but that is mainly what you get on this board. Like I said, the atmosphere at the school seems - to me - to be great; Nashville - to me - isn't so hot.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 05:14:06 AM »
A Vandy grad student here...

I love the school and the campus and really hope to attend VULS. Walking across campus this time of year with all the tulips and squirrels is so beautiful and puts me in an instantly good mood. Students and faculty are really nice. My experience is different from LS, of course, but it is also good to know about the university as a whole. Especially since the LS is part of campus.

As far as Nashville goes, I really like it here and hope to stay. My bf, from CT, has lived in SF and Boston and loves it here and plans to stay as well. So I guess if you are really into big cities, you might not like it. But I know a lot of people who love Nashville. I am a very laid-back person who likes the outdoors, so it is perfect for me. To each his own! Good luck.

Omey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:30:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it