Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Chicago Admitted Student Weekend!  (Read 7293 times)

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U Chicago Admitted Student Weekend!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »
We should start swapping prep tactics and stuff... we're all gonna have good jobs, so might as well share the love from day one. :)

pre tactics?!  I'm stereotyping you as a gunner starting now!

:)  kidding of course.

Seriously though, are you all going to prep over the summer?  Where are you thinking of living?  I really like the Windermere house from the website and from what other people have been saying.

russiankitty

• MSN Messenger - zoueva@aya.yale.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - morphy4444
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 11:01:23 PM »
hi guys,

i actually didn't go to the admit weekend, but was wondering if there was anything bad that you could say about chicago... i'm still not sure about it, and they're not giving me any money while other schools are. i'm still considering it because of the reputation. although am concerned about its international reputation and the law-economics approach (have never taken econ in my life). do you guys have any concerns about the school at all?

thanks!

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 10:33:52 AM »
hk04, I'm SO not the gunner type.  I'd have to have a clue before that would be possible ;)  I've been told by some current students that in order to prep I should just HAVE FUN this summer to ensure I come in fresh b/c 1L is hard enough.  So I'm not sure quite yet. They did say to make sure you have mad typing skills for exams.

Russiankitty, my only concerns were really w/ debt and those have since been overcome by talking to all the current students that explained how being in the middle of the class GUARANTEED them the job of their choice in the city of their choice.  Now obviously they're biased, but they said they were blown away come interview time b/c the firms really wanted Harvard, Yale, Chicago.  They were being sought out more than they had to seek.  They all got GREAT jobs wherever they wanted, just by being average.  Remember, no class ranks!  Also, as far as econ goes, I think that's a speciality of the school but not necessarily something they require in every class.  Don't think it would be a big deal, but that's just my $.02.

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 12:39:19 PM »

RK, Did you try to negotiate for money?

I don't know very much about Chicago's international rep.  I'd like to work internationally as well, but for an American firm, so I'm hoping that Chicago's name will be good enough for that.  If you're looking to do international public law, I've heard that you'd probably be better off in NY or DC where you can constantly network and where there are many classes geared towards that.  Of course, international public law is a really hard area to break into, so you'd still have to go to one of the top schools, probably, and take on lots of debt.

As for law and econmics, I read on xoxo, I think, that you don't need to have an economics backround.  It's just a perspective on law where you look at issues from "what's the most efficient" standpoint.

Sordomudo- I think this summer I'm going to find an apartment, go out with my friends, get into good shape and read books that I've been meaning to get to.  Might as well have fun while I still can.

What I'm worried about for Chicago is that I'll work really hard and still end up a below the median student.  I mean, any kid at the median can get a 125k job, but what happens to the bottem 10%.  I'm not planning to be there, of course, but at a school where almost everyone is really smart and works very hard, someone has to get the Cs that balance out the As.

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 07:25:24 PM »
hey all, just got back from visiting columbia and i have to say, i think the choice is chicago!  i didnt get the same good feeling at columbia that i did at chicago. the thing i like best about chicago is that the atmosphere is intensely intellectual, but at the same time very friendly and closely-knit.  it seems chicago grads will have awesome postgrad opps (as another poster pointed out) and being close to chicago (what a great city!) is a great perk.  i'm thinking that (if i make this my final decision) i will try to live in the regent building-- it was SOOOO nice and not that expensive. 

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 08:36:12 PM »
RK - the law and economics bent is most obvious during first year classes.  however, i was told by all of the students i talked to at Chicago that it wasn't necessary to have a background in economics to understand the material.

hk - one of the current students i hung out with during admit weekend landed a job at a firm in hong kong.  he said the chicago name carries very well internationally, particularly in major financial hubs around the globe.  (he partly attributed this to the reputation of the chicago GSB in producing finance jocks.)  so while chicago doesn't necessarily have the  most sterling reputation for the study of interational law, it doesn't seem to be overly difficult to get a job overseas, especially if you structure your 2L summer job to create that path for you.

as for prepping over the summer, i'm not sure i'm going to do a whole lot.  i've thumbed through PLSII, and I"ve decided that i'm not going to follow the program outlined in the book and immerse myself in the law over the summer; there'll be plenty of time to do that come fall.  rather than reading through E&Es, i might just pick up some books about the broad history of legal/philisophical thought and maybe a couple of legal history books.  more than anything though i'm planning on travelling and relaxing a lot.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 01:47:07 AM »
I'm just pumped that there's a group of us to share ideas and look forward to being 1Ls together in the fall.  I've heard similar things from those that have visited Columbia and Chicago; they all pretty much say Chicago has a much better feel and looks to be a more rigorous, close-knit intellectual community.  Yeah us.

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 03:08:02 AM »
Yay about Chicago, JRG!

Also, did you happen to see the Windermere building when you were there?
http://www.metroplexinc.com/winderme.htm

It looks really nice, about the same price as Regents, right on the bus line to the school, same kind of amenities, but closer.  Parking is cheaper, the gym is free.

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 09:19:34 AM »
hk04, i didn't see the windermere building, but does it have gorgeous views of the lake like regents does?  that was regents' selling point for me!

Winnitonk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
I will be attending the University of Chicago in the Fall as well--look forward to meeting all of you--
Accepted: Georgetown, UPenn, Northwestern, NYU, BU, USC, Chicago
Denied: Yale, Harvard
Waitlisted: Columbia, Stanford