Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Chicago Admitted Student Weekend!  (Read 7337 times)

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
U Chicago Admitted Student Weekend!
« on: April 07, 2005, 12:21:14 AM »
i'll be leaving for Chicago tomorrow to attend the weekend-- anyone else going? 

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: U Chicago Admitted Student Weekend!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:46:38 AM »
i'll be there!

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 10:24:42 AM »
Me three! Although I'll only be there for Saturday's events.

Anyone else dislike that they gave us reading material?

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:46:01 AM »
Me four and AMEN on the reading assignment.  NOT the way I would want things to get started.  Check my avatar and look for my face--there won't be TOO many people there I don't think.  Any way we can recognize one another?

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:49:09 AM »
I'm sad I can't go, but someone come back here after and post all the details.

Have fun!

;D

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 11:21:20 AM »
Just got back last night from admitted student weekend-- I LOVED IT! Details:
1.  as i have gotten into some higher ranked schools, i wanted to be assured that uchicago provides its students with as good an education as those schools provide.  talking with the enrolled students and sitting in on the panels confirmed that chicago ls is an intense intellectual environment-- everything from the dense layout of the school to the use of the socratic method and the trimester system convinced me.
2.  i had heard that the university is far from the heart of the city and that it is situated in a less than desirable area.  upon visiting, i no longer have reservations about these attributes.  public transport is plentiful (and the city center is only 20 short min away from the law school via most of these modes of transportation), and the adjacent 'bad' neighborhood does not seem to be an issue for current students-- it seems pretty separated from the campus. 
3.  The campus is GORGEOUS!  Although the law school itself is not as pretty as the rest of the campus, I was extremely impressed by both the undergraduate and law school facilities.  we had great weather, which may have affected my judgement (since i am sure most days in chicago are not as nice!), but it seems that the U chicago campus would be a beautiful place to spend three years.
4.  the professors really do seem to be as good as they say.  i was really impressed by the class I sat in on and the faculty discussion they conducted for the weekend.  the professors seem to really know their stuff, to be extremely passionate about all facets of the material they teach, and to be really approachable.  however, this is my first ls visit-- professors at other schools might also be this wonderful!
5.  the students all seem to really like chicago.  because of the small class size, each class is like one big happy family.  lots of collaboration, not competitive at all (they mentioned that the high ratio of prospective employers to uchicago students  may in part account for this 'friendly' atmosphere-- hmm.). 
6.  the residence options are all really cool.  the "new graduate student residence hall" seems to be the least desirable option-- new is a bit of a misnomer in that the facade of the building is dirty, falling apart a bit, and hopelessly outdated, but the inside seemed pretty cool- the rooms are spacious, with private bathrooms, the building is equipped with a laundry room, a game room, a study room, a small exercize room, and a nice cooking area.  all in all, a nice residence, although the other options far surpass it.  the student apartments, especially the regent apartment building, are absolutely beautiful.  most are about a 10 min bus ride from the ls, and situated on the lake!  beautiful views, very well maintained buildings, and not outrageously-priced. 
7.  chicago is an awesome city!  since it was my birthday on friday, my parents splurged and i stayed in a hotel on N michgan street-- so beautiful, and GREAT shopping.  not so great for my wallet, though-- chicago might be a financially dangerous city to live in for that reason!  the night life is really great, the people i met were really laid back and nice, the food was great... i would really look forward to living in chicago if i ultimately choose uchicago ls. 

i'm a little tired from the events of the weekend (i may have gotten a total of 5 hours of sleep in the last three days!) so this post may be a little spacey and/or incomplete.  if anyone has questions about important stuff i didnt cover or make clear, please feel free to PM.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 05:20:02 PM »
I also thought it was excellent. Hence, I'm attending.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:27:46 PM »
see you there sordomundo!

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 06:30:47 PM »
Yay!  I'll see you guys there too!

;D

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 08:02:20 PM »
We should start swapping prep tactics and stuff... we're all gonna have good jobs, so might as well share the love from day one. :)