Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me decide...  (Read 448 times)

goingtomiami

• View Profile
Help me decide...
« on: April 07, 2005, 12:09:44 AM »
I really need some help:

Which is better in terms of employment, student life, location, etc...

full time at the University of Miami or
part time at American University

There are so many pros and cons with each and I just cant decide.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me decide...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 03:27:35 AM »
quality of life & location

miami: AMAZING weather, easy going students

american: bad weather, dont know anything about the students

employment

miami:  owns the legal market in south florida. 

american:  little brother to big name schools in a more competitive legal market.

winner:
  miami

ASNetlenov

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »
Miami might be better because you can finish in 3 years. I can't imagine being in a law school environment any longer than absolutely necessary.

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 10:02:29 AM »

employment

american:  little brother to big name schools in a more competitive legal market.

winner:
  miami

I heard about the job markets being different as well.  But those that suggest American as a possibility have said that although Miami is pretty much the only game in town for Southern FL, the Washington D.C. area has a greater need for lawyers.  There may be several law schools that graduate students who work in the area (in addition a large number of graduates from national law schools that come to D.C. to work), but that is because D.C. has the highest need for lawyers than any other city in the U.S.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:37:37 AM »
American has some great programs too. If there is a specific type of law in which you are interested you should check out AU and see if it one of the School's strengths.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 10:42:07 AM »

employment

winner:
  miami

I heard about the job markets being different as well.  But those that suggest American as a possibility have said that although Miami is pretty much the only game in town for Southern FL, the Washington D.C. area has a greater need for lawyers.  There may be several law schools that graduate students who work in the area (in addition a large number of graduates from national law schools that come to D.C. to work), but that is because D.C. has the highest need for lawyers than any other city in the U.S.

Most big firms in Miami have HQ's in DC, NY, Boston or Philly.  Miami seems like a great backdoor way in.  Miami the gateway to Latin America, and a massive real estate market, and lots of old people.  There's plenty of legal work there.