Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's made the decision to go to Case?  (Read 1849 times)

rogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who's made the decision to go to Case?
« on: April 06, 2005, 11:09:24 PM »
I've made the decision. That's where my law degree will be coming from. Who else is heading there? And have you thought about where you are going to be living at?

• View Profile
Re: Who's made the decision to go to Case?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:07:40 AM »
I just sent in my seat deposit and I'm about 99% sure that I'll be going there (just waiting on a few more apps).  I'm actually going to go and check out some apts in the area in a week or so. 

steelcity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 09:22:12 AM »
I'll be there.  I'll be looking in the Cleveland Heights area for a place.  I might check out Shaker Heights as well.

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:20:24 AM »
Yeah, depends on what you like.  If you like night-life, definitely check out the Warehouse District.  The Flats used to be big, I did not get to see it when I was there, but a cabby told me it was not as much of a place to be anymore and it's mostly strip clubs.  If you like sushi, go to Sushi Rock in the Warehouse District.  It is very very good.  Someone told me to go to Tremont Art Walk, it's like a small bar district with local artists selling stuff in the bar.  The bars were not really my scene and it was about impossible to get a cab to come take me back to downtown.  I was only there for two nights and I tried to see as much as I could, but I always ended up at the Warehouse District mad that I spent double-digits on a cab to go somewhere else and back.
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:34:41 PM »
You're fine.  The Warehouse District is downtown.  It cost me like $3 cab fare to get there from the Embassy Suites downtown (I only cabbed because it was snowing when I was there, you might be able to walk depending on how far you are and how nice it is).  Cab from the airport will cost you around $20 (try and find someone going to a hotel near you and split the fare, though you might have to do some walking, if it's nice it shouldn't be too bad).  The cab to Case will be about $8-$10 I think.
3.24/161

Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).

Stegs

• Motivation
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stegs007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »
I am sending in my deposit this week, 99% sure like 4040, waiting on some other replies.  Cleveland Hieghts is really nice.  Check out www.clevelandheightsapts.com for a few listings.  You will definitely want to stick around campus for housing.  Last weekend while on the Case Super Saturday Tour, the ambassadors all cringed when I asked about the Flats and Warehouse District.  I thought it would be cool to live in the Downtown hot spot, but apparently it is dead.  I got the response of "Eww you want to live Downtown?"  The students with whom I spoke all suggested staying in the vicinity of the school, and said there is a housing fair in June.  The other suggested alternative was just simply driving around and looking for the for rent signs.  As far as the Downtown and Warehouse district housing, the loft style apartments look really nice online, but when you drive by the buildings they are all sketchy.  Downtown has some beautiful buildings, but the snow storm, bums on the streets, and power outages made me want to get out of there and get back near campus.  The drive between Case and Downtown is rather rough, potholes, lots of street lights, and sketchy folk.  Stay to the Southeast when looking for places to live.  I was really glad when the route between the I-90 and Case went directly down Martin Luther King Parkway which goes through a valley type park preserved by Rockafellar.  This roadway allows you to completely bypass the ghettos of East Cleveland enroute to the school, museums, hospitals, and Cleveland Heights.  Oh one more thing, when I asked about parking, it was estimated at $400 a semester.  Grad students got priority, but as 1L's we may end up with shuttle parking.  Other than that, the streets are lined with parking meters that are only free on the weekend. 

Stegs

• Motivation
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stegs007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »
Daven,

Were you there last weekend?

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 03:10:13 PM »
No, I was there a few weeks ago.  For the record, I wasn't talking up living in the Warehouse District or anywhere downtown, I was saying if you want to check out the city's nightlife.  I'm planning on buying a house in Shaker or Cleveland Heights if I end up at Case.
3.24/161

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »
That's funny cause I'm planning to look for housing in downtown Cleveland next weekend  ;D  Guess I should plan to look elsewhere as well!  The downtown apts I found online looked great, but who knows if the photos were taken 10 years ago.

mjsteg, how did you hear about parking rates?  $400/semester is outrageous!

Also, I haven't really had a chance to check out the area around Case.  Is Cleveland Heights walking distance?  At first I was somewhat interested in those Triangle Apts right across the street from the school, but they are really overpriced. I also found that residents rated them poorly online and that the common perception was that they smell bad  :o  

steelcity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 03:19:02 PM »
Does anyone have an idea about the ease of public transportation (bus, train) if you live 3-6 miles from the schoo...i.e Shaker Heights and parts of Cleveland heights.