Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American and Living in DC  (Read 4244 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
American and Living in DC
« on: April 06, 2005, 10:13:20 PM »
I pretty much had decided on Loyola until I visited American and now I love it, but I still have big reservations about moving to the other side of the country and I love California and don't want to leave, but I can't quite make that my only reason to stay.  Is American as great as it sounds (and I know some of you hate American, but with all their clinics, study abroad, journals, working on the hill and massive list of classes it really appealed to me) and will DC be a pain to live in?  I'm really torn.  Kind of leaning towards American, but part of me is having a hard time accepting I may never come back to California (there is a pretty good chance that after I established myself in DC I wouldn't want to get up and move).  And while Loyola is a good school I can't think of anything really great about it, programs, etc..  Opinions please!
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: American and Living in DC
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 10:30:30 PM »
tag...i'm interested in the same thing.

lava

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:28:10 PM »
I'm from DC and living in SF.  Although DC and Cali are nothing alike in terms of weather, culture, and politics, I love DC all the same.  The city is nice enough to look at, the people are diverse (culturally, socially, AND politicaly) which is a nice difference from Cali, and the enviroment is more intellectually stimulating and a bit faster paced.  (I can't deal as well with the Cali flakes.)  Plus being in the nation's capitol, you absorb so much more of the world around you because the city revolves around politics.  (This is assuming you enjoy learning lots about politics.)  Plus the nightlife is pretty good too, if you're into that.  All in all, I'm a fan.

BraveheartDC

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Tribe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 11:44:33 PM »
I can tell you a bit about living in DC and what American offers.  I went to AU for undergrad--for the sole reason of getting internships.  While getting my BA (done in three years), I interned for the White House, Senator John McCain, the House of Representatives Policy Committee, the House Select Committee on Homeland Security, and the Bush-Cheney 2004 campaign at headquarters.  I give you my resume not to impress, but to show you that AU does open the doors to DC.  If you want it, it's there. 

That said, I am more of a suburb guy.  Living IN DC was not for me, and living outside of DC and driving in every day poses its own problems (traffic SUCKS).  However, the part of DC that AU is in is really pretty nice.  There are trees, etc.  NW DC is by FAR the safest, nicest part of DC.  If you can deal with living up there (and you saw it, so you know how it is) then you should be fine.

I don't know anything about Loyola, but I looked it up.  To me, the cost of AU is its worst trait.  Since you're deciding between two private schools, however, I guess that means you're willing to pay that much (probably not happy, but willing). 

Since it appears you're willing to pay the cost and willing to live there, I would say go for it (especially if you want to work for the government...international law is also great there). 

Let me know if you have more questions.  I will try to look this thread up over the next couple days.
3.80 UGPA + 161 LSAT

Attending: William & Mary

Accepted off waitlist: William & Mary

Accepted: George Mason (withdrawn), University of Florida (withdrawn), Florida St. + $4K/YR (withdrawn), & American (withdrawn)

Waitlist: University of Virginia

Denied: Georgetown & University of Texas

BraveheartDC

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Tribe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 11:51:43 PM »
And just to touch on one other thing you said, AU is GREAT for bringing in guest speakers and holding forums on this topic and that topic.  It is done ALL THE TIME, and they get some big whigs.  While at AU, I saw Gingrich, Gore, Gorbachov, Carville...just to name a few.  If you really want to get plugged in, go to AU.  There are a ton of girls at AU...so if you like girls you're golden.  If you are a girl that likes boys, it can be tougher.  Also, politically, AU is very liberal.  You may be used to it depending on which part of CA you're from.  For me, a conservative man, it opened my eyes to a lot of things.  I had never met a gay guy, for example.  At AU, there are tons of gay guys.  Very socially liberal campus and very international student body.  There are tons of Asians and a spattering of other ethnicities and nationalities, which was pretty neat.  For me, someone interested in the Arab world and terrorism, it was particularly cool to meet some people from Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc.
3.80 UGPA + 161 LSAT

Accepted: George Mason (withdrawn), University of Florida (withdrawn), Florida St. + $4K/YR (withdrawn), & American (withdrawn)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:21:23 AM »
Yeah I'm a girl so the whole 60/40 thing is a little discouraging.  I'm hoping that all the universities in the area will give me a chance to meet more guys, but I don't know what its like in law school socializing with people outside your school.  I was an art history major so I was basically in a class with all girls and a couple gay guys.  It wasn't bad just left a lot to be desired in the dating department and I'll definitely be single when I move to DC.

Yeah when I visited AU they said that the week before two supreme court justices and CSPAN had been there.  There definitely seems to be a lot going on, which is something i really liked.  I think if I go there, I will have a lot of opportunities I just won't get anywhere else.

There has to be something special about Loyola right? 

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 12:46:04 AM »
I moved from California to the D.C. area and have never regretted the decision. Having seasons and not being near a beach has been a little tough, but there's a lot to love about the area.

If you're worried about a lack of guys you can always wander across the river here to GMU, we're 70% male.  In my experience its pretty tough socializing outside of the law school, but it can be done. And honestly, you'll be so busy that a relationship will probably just seem like a distraction. I've seen quite a few pre-lawschool relationships fall apart over the course of this last year.

What part of California are you from? What specific concerns about the area do you have?

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:03:06 AM »
I guess I don't have huge concerns about the area, so much as I really like California.  I know it is close to the South so I don't know how that will be, but I'm not that worried about it.  I guess I just really like CA people are more friendly and its a lot more laid back.  Ahh don't tell me about not dating in law school I'm trying to convince myself I will have some sort of social life in law school.  I am definitely leaving towards American, it's just hard to leave all teh sun behind.  I'm living in Santa Barbara at teh moment and when I got back the other day from teh east coast it was just perfect and I was like I don't want to leave this!

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »
Santa Barbara would be tough to leave. But your other option is Loyola apparently, so you're leaving SB either way. And I'd have to say that D.C./Virginia/Maryland beat downtown LA any day of the week in the scenery department. I'd never really seen seasons until coming out here, and while I froze my ass off in the winter, and the summer is unbearably humid/hot, its nice to see hte weather actually change throughout the year. D.C. is a damn fun city.

While Virginia is technically a southern state, Northern Virginia (and D.C. and the areas of MD near it) are not really southern at all. There really wont be that much of a culture shock, people are definintely more uptight here though.

Having a social life in law school is completely doable, even with lots of studying (and even easier if you cut out the studying - bad idea, dont do this! I know from experience.). I dont know what American is like, but I was going out almost every weekend and usually during the week as well during the first semester. Definintely less social this semester, but its still pretty rare for me to have a lot of downtime.

Dating brings up a whole new set of problems from just being social in a general sense. Dating someone outside of the lawschool will be tough because they wont understand the strain of your schedule. Dating someone inside the lawschool will be tough because your school may be small and gossipy. Dating someone in general will be tough because you just have very little time.

I advise not worrying about dating too much your first year. If you happen to meet someone and hit it off, excellent, but dont obsess about, dont expect it to happen, and dont sacrifice your studying just to have a relationship, or to put time into one that you really cant spare the time for.

BraveheartDC

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Tribe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:04:40 AM »
I may end up at GMU, so if it's true that AU is so female and GMU is so male, maybe we'll get together and introduce one another to 10s of the opposite sex.

The person that said DC/northern Virginia (NoVa) is not the south is very correct.  When I first moved to NoVa, I drove down Highway One, also known as Jefferson Davis Highway...I have lived everywhere (including Alabama), so I wasn't bothered by it...but I def thought I was back in the Deep South....so far from it.  NoVa is not the south.

If it makes you feel better, it was 85 degrees (no humidity) today in DC.  First 80+ day...but plenty more to come. 
3.80 UGPA + 161 LSAT