Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I guess substantive factors don't matter  (Read 1568 times)

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
I guess substantive factors don't matter
« on: April 06, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »
I must say, after getting a rejection from Emory today I realized how little adcomms take into account substantive factors like school quality, GPA, published works, and the like. It saddens me that people get 70K scholarships for getting a good score on a 4 hour test which has only a small correlation with achievement (though I know it's larger than others). I thought I'd female dog for a bit since this whole process is disheartening.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
Re: I guess substantive factors don't matter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:59:18 AM »
I must say, after getting a rejection from Emory today I realized how little adcomms take into account substantive factors like school quality, GPA, published works, and the like. It saddens me that people get 70K scholarships for getting a good score on a 4 hour test which has only a small correlation with achievement (though I know it's larger than others). I thought I'd female dog for a bit since this whole process is disheartening.

sorry to hear.  It certainly is difficult to overcome a low LSAT score, but it really is the only measure that is universal to all candidates.  Best of luck with the rest of your apps.

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:19:15 PM »
Not to burst your bubble on your view of Emory's decision making process, but I was accepted with nearly identical numbers as yours.  I think, when it came down to my application, they did take into account the very same factors you argue they ignore. 

Be careful in your assumptions...
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 12:23:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rejection. I think that most schools look at you as a number. If you fall into the maybe pile they glance over your extras to make a decision. If you fall to low, they just reject you, and if you are way above what they are looking at they admit you. This process has taught me that a small percentage of schools actually care about who you are, most are to worried about rankings to accept someone below their average numbers.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 12:27:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rejection. I think that most schools look at you as a number. If you fall into the maybe pile they glance over your extras to make a decision. If you fall to low, they just reject you, and if you are way above what they are looking at they admit you. This process has taught me that a small percentage of schools actually care about who you are, most are to worried about rankings to accept someone below their average numbers.

I feel that to a large extent it might depend on the whims of the committee member who reads your file. 

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:33:56 PM »
Not to burst your bubble on your view of Emory's decision making process, but I was accepted with nearly identical numbers as yours.  I think, when it came down to my application, they did take into account the very same factors you argue they ignore. 

I don't want to be a male private part and turn this into an AA thread, but the fact that you're a Hispanic female was the most significant "soft factor" that helped you get in.

LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
You are right.  It may have well been.  But, we really don't know that.  It's all assumptions. 

However, the only true way to know whey you were accepted/rejected is to call the admissions office and find out.  Just don't assume Emory (or any school for that matter) plays the numbers game. 
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 12:38:53 PM »
It's really not that big of an assumption, and I don't want to get into an AA debate here. For instance, I had very good ECs, awards, and WE.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »
I think it is absurd to assume that schools do not play the numbers game. A large chunk of their rankings and national prestige come from the number game. Sure, some schools actually look into your application, but the vast majority base decisions on numerical index numbers.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 12:52:45 PM »
I'm going to make this one last post and then let this one go.

Tinyandi,
You're right it is all assumptions.  For all I know you could have had an awesome app that would have got you in regardless of your race, we'll never know.  I'm just saying it as a significant factor in your application.

Whostheguy,
Everyone has very good ECs, awards, WE, etc.  Also is that very good according to yourself, you friends, who?

Whether we like it or not, admissions are a largely based on numbers.  Numbers aren't subjective, it's cut and dry and easy to base decisions on.  Plus, rankings are significantly based on numbers and judging by the way people around here (myself included) base their decisions on rankings, it's no wonder schools pay so much attention to them.  In the end it doesn't really matter, you'll end up somewhere else that you enjoy and 3 years from now you won't even care.
LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA