Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Notre Dame -v- Tulane  (Read 1226 times)

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Notre Dame -v- Tulane
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:45:41 PM »
I figured the cost would be roughly the same after scholarships, ND being a bit more expensive. I am most likely going to practice in Texas, but I want to keep my options open. I visted both and I felt that Tulane was a little more laid-back, New Orleans obviously more interesting than South Bend. which I liked. Anyone?

PS Yes, I know not to make my decision based on what strangers say on the internet, but I'm just looking for a new perspective.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Notre Dame -v- Tulane
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:48:27 PM »
I figured the cost would be roughly the same after scholarships, ND being a bit more expensive. I am most likely going to practice in Texas, but I want to keep my options open. I visted both and I felt that Tulane was a little more laid-back, New Orleans obviously more interesting than South Bend. which I liked. Anyone?

PS Yes, I know not to make my decision based on what strangers say on the internet, but I'm just looking for a new perspective.

To me, these schools are fairly comparable, though ND is obviously ranked higher.

Because the personalties/environments are clearly so different, I'd go with the one that personally fit me better. (In my case, it would be Tulane.)  Texas is also close to Tulane, so that also helps in terms of regional reputation. 

I just think Tulane would be more fun and interesting, plus I hate ND because of college football reasons.

dubris

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 07:00:01 PM »
When I had my lunch with Notre Dame grads they said they had no problems getting work in Texas. They weren't really near the top of their class either. They were also of the opinion that ND grads were held in higher regard than SMU and UH grads were in their respective cities. How does Tulane do in TX.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
When I had my lunch with Notre Dame grads they said they had no problems getting work in Texas. They weren't really near the top of their class either. They were also of the opinion that ND grads were held in higher regard than SMU and UH grads were in their respective cities. How does Tulane do in TX.

Pretty well, but I'm not sure if you have to be at the top of your class or not.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 07:38:18 PM »

From what I've heard, Tulane places very well in Texas, and extremely well in Houston. 

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 07:43:07 PM »
Tulane all the way man.  Texas (particularly Dallas and Houston) are noted as placed where Tulane sends a ton of grads.  Plus as far as Nd, do you really want to deal with that "educating a different kind of lawyer" morality bullsh-t?  Plus, the winters are dreadful in Southbend.  NO is cool, nice eather, the school itself is laid back and has a great rep.  Once you get out of the t-10, 22 vs 32vs 40 don't mean sh-t as far as those rankings.  Are you brilliant?  Great, finish in the top 1% at Tulane and then transfer to Yale.  Just my 2 cents, but it's kind of the process I've used...
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 11:06:31 PM »
Tulane all the way man.  Texas (particularly Dallas and Houston) are noted as placed where Tulane sends a ton of grads.  Plus as far as Nd, do you really want to deal with that "educating a different kind of lawyer" morality bullsh-t?  Plus, the winters are dreadful in Southbend.  NO is cool, nice eather, the school itself is laid back and has a great rep.  Once you get out of the t-10, 22 vs 32vs 40 don't mean sh-t as far as those rankings.  Are you brilliant?  Great, finish in the top 1% at Tulane and then transfer to Yale.  Just my 2 cents, but it's kind of the process I've used...

Yeah, when I went to visit ND they reinforced the whole Catholic aspect. I guess that's one of my hesitations in sending in my deposit there. But I did like other aspects like the smaller class size and affordable living.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 11:10:45 AM »
bump

ilsox7

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:14:48 AM »
I'd say ND hands down.  Every indication is that the Catholic vibe at ND is more focused on teaching morals and ethics, which should be done at every school.  An ND law degree will also travel better.  One nice thing about ND is that they post where all of their grads go and the firms they go to online, so take a look there.  They have very loyal alums all throughout the country.

nirvanayoda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »
I'm baffled by how anyone could consider the two schools peer schools, even in Texas.  I'll give a longer reply if i have time later.