Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC vs Vanderbilt  (Read 562 times)

tag

• View Profile
UIUC vs Vanderbilt
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »
I was 95% sure that I was going to UIUC, and have even paid the initial deposit of $500, but then Vanderbilt gave me a surprise yesterday by offering me a fairly substantial scholarship of $75,000.

Please tell me your opinion of where I should go and why.  The more input the better.  Should I still go to UIUC with a full tuition scholarship or go to Vanderbilt, which will cost around $7,000 a year.  I would like the option of working in China in the future, and wouldn't mind living in Chicago.  It seems like there are a lot of law firms there with offices in China; UIUC also seems like it has more asian law comparitive classes available, but Vanderbilt is more national it seems, so I would have more flexibility of where to live after graduation.  Are these schools really that different apart from the US News and World report ranking?

I would sincerely appreciate any input on this decision.

Thanks.

Oh by the way, in case you're wondering:
LSAT: 166
UGPA: 3.71

I'm also a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, speak Chinese fluently and Japanese at an intermediate level, and have had several years of WE experience in my undergraduate field of study.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UIUC vs Vanderbilt
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:52:58 PM »
I was 95% sure that I was going to UIUC, and have even paid the initial deposit of $500, but then Vanderbilt gave me a surprise yesterday by offering me a fairly substantial scholarship of $75,000.

Please tell me your opinion of where I should go and why.  The more input the better.  Should I still go to UIUC with a full tuition scholarship or go to Vanderbilt, which will cost around $7,000 a year.  I would like the option of working in China in the future, and wouldn't mind living in Chicago.  It seems like there are a lot of law firms there with offices in China; UIUC also seems like it has more asian law comparitive classes available, but Vanderbilt is more national it seems, so I would have more flexibility of where to live after graduation.  Are these schools really that different apart from the US News and World report ranking?

I would sincerely appreciate any input on this decision.

Thanks.

Oh by the way, in case you're wondering:
LSAT: 166
UGPA: 3.71

I'm also a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, speak Chinese fluently and Japanese at an intermediate level, and have had several years of WE experience in my undergraduate field of study.

First off, thank you for your service.

I would say that Vandy is somewhat more prestigious, and I would probably pay the extra $20K to go there.  It will simply pack more of a punch in Chicago, since most UIUC grads go there anyway.  It also has a stronger rep on the east coast, in places like D.C.

I'm surprised you couldn't get into a top 14, but Vandy is pretty much in the next clump of schools, consisting of Texas, UCLA, Vandy, and USC.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
I would also go with Vandy.

c130nav

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 04:59:15 PM »
Don't go to Vandy. I need a spot to open up for me and I could use some scholarship money.   ;D

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 04:59:56 PM »
I'd pick vandy, but then again, I already have  :P Actually do you have any ties to chicago? at admitted students day I met a girl who had a 1L firm job in chicago b/c she was from there.  I think overall though vanderbilt will give you more opportunities, providing you do equally well.  Obviously if you finished top 5% at UIUC vs. bottom 50% at vandy, though that comparison probably isn't realistic, you'd have been better off at UIUC.  To put this all in perspective, you'll be able to pay off nearly the entire additional $21k with your end of the year bonus if you work at a large firm and do one year of high billables.
You can see my numbers at LSN

tag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I don't have any ties to Chicago.

Also, I actually did get into two top 14 schools, Northwestern and Cornell, but didn't get any money offered to me from those two, and I figure wherever I go I'll probably do well academically.  It's not worth it to me to go to a top 14 if it comes with such a hefty price tag, especially when my wife and I are considering having children in the near future.  Is that silly, not choosing to go to one of the top 14?  My wife thinks I should, but it seems to me that if I can go to a good law school, maybe not the best, and do well, I'll have more options because I won't have to worry about debt.  As it is, we have enough savings to most likely not have to take out any loans if we're somewhat frugal.

GoHuskies05

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 06:15:35 PM »
I'll also add my thanks for your service. 

I'll also add that I think Vandy is a substantially better school.  UIUC is a good school and it has ties to Chicago.  That is all good.

Across the board, Vanderbilt will have better faculty members and a better student body.  This will push you more, and you will receive a better education. 

I don't think there is much to debate. 

I would take the scholarship at Vandy and run with it. 

You can get to Chicago, DC, China wherever from Vandy, and with the exception of Chicago it will be easier. 

Good luck.