Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter  (Read 80175 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2005, 09:24:25 PM »
I got rejected by 10 of the 11 UG schools I applied to, and the one I was accepted at I actually got waitlisted at first  :P

The most obnoxious letter was definitely from UNC,

"Dear Applicant,

Some people just aren't good enough"

Did they really say that? In those words, and just that?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2005, 10:38:13 PM »
I got rejected by 10 of the 11 UG schools I applied to, and the one I was accepted at I actually got waitlisted at first  :P

"Dear Applicant,

Did they really say that? In those words, and just that?

They said,

"Many applicants have sent us their applications this year, and some applications yours included simply do not measure up to the standards of the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill at the current time..."
HLS '09

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2005, 11:15:44 PM »
 :D thats great, go heels

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2005, 11:22:29 PM »
HLS '09

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »
as someone who has plenty of rejection letters coming, id much rather have that than 'every year we have to reject incrediblbly qualified applicants...'

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2005, 11:52:39 PM »

"Dear Applicant,

I agree arhodg, its fantastic motivation to keep those things around, I've still got all of mine.

I'm thinking of applying to UNC just for the hell of it, and then if I (presumably) get in, sending them a withdrawal letter saying "some schools just aren't good enough"

you should find your undergrad rejection letter (like you would still have it) and edit directly on the letter (make it to them and from you; change applicant to school, etc.) and send that to them.

jeb240

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2005, 07:08:35 AM »
Not to be the voice of reason, but it seems highly unfair to reject the law school (should you apply and subsequently get in) or send the law school any ill treatment for something that the undergraduate school did.

I have no idea if what the UG said in its letter was true, but I have to agree LGnM, that I'd rather a rejection letter that was like, "You just aren't what we want," than something that talks about how crazy impressive my application was, but that there are just far more impressive people than there are seats.  At the same time, there are better ways to write worthwhile rejection letters than a number of the ones listed on here.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2005, 07:19:30 AM »
I'm all for him applying to UNC. I'm in a similar situation. GTown undergrad was my top choice and then I was deferred and waitlisted and rejected. No mean letters but it still left me sore. Now I got into their law school and it helped me get over my passive but extant four year grudge against them. Our stories diverge, however, because I might actually go there and I wasn't wasting the money spent on my application.

Plus, my story is popular with my sister and her friends. They're HS seniors and going crazy over the college application game. She just got deferred from her top choice, Wash U. She told all her friends about me getting rejected UG and accepted to the LS as if I'm what UG rejects should aspire to.

So this little episode can be another reminder that not getting into the right college isn't the end of the world. And, for all the hubbub we make about it, not getting into the right law school isn't either.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2005, 04:08:57 PM »
Not to be the voice of reason, but it seems highly unfair to reject the law school (should you apply and subsequently get in) or send the law school any ill treatment for something that the undergraduate school did.

I have no idea if what the UG said in its letter was true, but I have to agree LGnM, that I'd rather a rejection letter that was like, "You just aren't what we want," than something that talks about how crazy impressive my application was, but that there are just far more impressive people than there are seats.  At the same time, there are better ways to write worthwhile rejection letters than a number of the ones listed on here.

lighten up a little

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2005, 06:22:47 PM »
WTF, did they actually send that letter?

I thought that was a joke.

That is seriously screwed up, and worthy of a nasty reply.

Yes they did!

Ironically, the school I had zero chance at (Penn) sent the nicest letter.

I have all my rejection letters around - I read them every semester for motivation ;)
HLS '09