Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter  (Read 80203 times)

jeb240

Re: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 06:36:51 AM »
The thing about these rejection letters is that law schools say so much about how they aren't just looking for numbers, but for people who can "add to their community."

So it seems to me a rejection goes far beyond calling you too stupid, even if they claim to have been impressed (but clearly not sufficiently enough) by your credentials.

No, a rejection from law school is saying, "Not only do we find your grades and score(s) insufficient, but you have absolutely nothing else to offer us that we would want.  You are not only lacking intellectually, but as a person as well."

I'm going to do my best to not see it that way over the next few months.

jakeb1881

• Sr. Citizen
  • The board's newest Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2005, 04:09:12 PM »
Got a new one for this thread--my wife has a friend whose husband is applying to dental school.  I guess UNLV sent him an e-mail entitled, "REJECTION."  Yes, in all caps.  I'm sure the body of the e-mail didn't make him feel any better after seeing the title.
Attending:  Vanderbilt Law Class of '09

GPA: 3.67
LSAT: 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jakeb1881

jg983

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »
I know it's not a law school rejection, but I'm still smarting over my rejection to UCLA undergrad.  In addition to all the "many quilified applicants" crap, it (honsest to God) ended with the following (paraphrased of course):

"We have included a list of Community Colleges in your area, and would be happy to review your transfer application in two years time"

And, indeed, the included a list of all Community Colleges (with phone numbers and adresses) within a 100 mile radius.  Not only am I not good enough for their school, but, in their eyes, I'm not good enough for any 4-year institution!  However, they will be happy to take my money again in the future...

Isn't that because people who establish residency (which takes 2 years) have a far higher chance of being admitted?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2005, 01:10:27 AM »
harsh
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Geddon187

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2005, 01:19:44 AM »
I know it's not a law school rejection, but I'm still smarting over my rejection to UCLA undergrad.  In addition to all the "many quilified applicants" crap, it (honsest to God) ended with the following (paraphrased of course):

"We have included a list of Community Colleges in your area, and would be happy to review your transfer application in two years time"

And, indeed, the included a list of all Community Colleges (with phone numbers and adresses) within a 100 mile radius.  Not only am I not good enough for their school, but, in their eyes, I'm not good enough for any 4-year institution!  However, they will be happy to take my money again in the future...

Isn't that because people who establish residency (which takes 2 years) have a far higher chance of being admitted?

It wasn't "We have included a list of Community Colleges in California so that you may gain residency" (I was already a resident, btw).

It was a list of Community Colleges near MY HOUSE.  They actally had to research that.  That's just painful.

I remember that letter too. I am sure that they just put your zip code against a bank of community colleges and generate a list. They do it because if you take the proper classes and do pretty well, you will get into some of the better UC schools from California Junior colleges.

*shell*

• Sr. Citizen
  • FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 12:28:53 PM »
um...i live here, and we don't call it that.  also, generalizations don't make friends.  I also got rejected from BC and BU, but since the admissions staff is most likely not from here, I'm not taking it personally ;) Sure, you're stressed out, but stop taking it out on my city just because we have some top law schools that not a lot of people (myself included) get into.

no offense but they dont call it BOOO!-ston for nothing.

Boston Red Sox fans can be a vicious bunch when it comes to their team, but I don't think it's fair to write off a whole city worth of people based on what you witnessed at Fenway. And if you were rooting for anyone other than the Red Sox, any nastiness that was directed at you was well deserved... ;)

thank you for that littletanuki, as someone who grew up there my feelings were starting to hurt...

as far as rude rejection letters-i haven't seen one i like yet!
FSU Law Class of 2009!!!

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
American is awful.
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 04:24:31 PM »
Yay for shellrae's defense of Boston (where BU will almost certainly reject me as well, I now fear the letter)

This isn't a reject, but today I got a large envelope in the mail from American.  I applied for a fee waiver, but apparently did not include all of the necessary documentation.  They SENT BACK MY ENTIRE APPLICATION.  I tried to call them to find out if they still had it on file, or if I should resubmit everything whn I completed my fee waiver paperwork, but their answering machine message you get when they are on the line only directs you to the FAQ on their site or has you leave a message if you want an application.  I tried to call back several times and this message was all I got.  With my numbers, I'm not sure I'll even try to apply anymore, it is getting late...
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »
ive never had a rejection letter, so this should be interesting (only sent out 2 apps for ug).  ive sent out 12 apps and many are reaches, at this point i welcome a rejection letter just so i know where i stand w/ some of the others

AlanShore

• Sr. Citizen
  • One day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
Funny costal, i'm in the same situation (applied and accepted to 3 UG schools, applied to 9 law schools, mostly reaches).  Here's to at least receiving some acceptance letters...
Corona Light with Lime:
Bud Select (WL): 3 of them
Warm Busch: Chicago, Columbia, Yale, NYU (:()
Still Brewing: too many to count
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ChuckNorris

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2005, 04:40:40 PM »
I didn't get into 10 of the 12 schools I applied to ug.  I actually saved all of my rejection letters to read "when I graduated from a top school."  It worked!  They kept me motivated until I transferred into a competitive school I was really happy with.  I have since lost them, but I want to find them, I'm hoping they'll have a similar effect for law school admissions. ;) 
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg