Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter  (Read 80832 times)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 03:59:51 PM »
I'm all for the status checkers with one word decisions:  Accept, Waitlist, Defer, Denied.  We get the point.  And there is nothing worse than the status checkers that say, "a decision has been mailed."  I would much rather know the outcome - good, bad, or ugly.

Complete agreement.  Fordham, Northwestern and UGA rock on this aspect. 

CPSinvestigator

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Put the F-ing Midget in the basket!!!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 11:03:46 PM »
NOVA southeasterns ACCEPTANCE letter was awful. they didnt congratulate you on your accomplishments blah blah blah...butter you up. the whole letter was about how "wonderful" their school is and how you should go there. NOTHING about the strenghths that got you accepted.

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »
I withdrew my application from UNLV and they still sent a rejection letter.  I guess they really hated my file that much.

mxpocc

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 02:32:26 AM »
Yeah, I think BC's went along these lines:

"We very much appreciate your applying to BC Law, etc., etc.  We believe that many applicants that are rejected from BC Law go on to successful careers in the law.  We hope that you can be one of them."

They can just eat me...how can they allude that if you don't get accepted to our school, you're probably not going on to have a successful career?  How about 'thanks, good luck' and that's it?  Ugh....

ROFL that's classic. What's funny is they only "believe" that rejected apps go onto successful careers--they're implying they don't have any proof to substantiate the notion, and by "believing" they're more or less saying "we hope, for your sake, that your life isn't worthless now"

what a bunch of dicks.

Troy McClure

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
Worst rejection letter:  Baylor.  They pretty much told me to go @#!* myself and thanked me for wasting their time.

Nicest rejection letter:  Houston.  It must've been written by Tony Robbins because it almost made me feel good about getting a rejection.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 10:13:38 AM »
I didn't appreciate Urbana-Champaign's rejection where they said that if I decide transfer there next year I will get $500 off books. 

Which brings up an interesting question -- you guys think any school uses more than one rejection letter? It seems to me like UIUC wouldn't make that offer to just anybody, but maybe I'm being naive here.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 10:27:39 AM »
William and Mary's waitlist letter made me want to vomit.  Basically saying that VERY few people turn down acceptance, and if a few people are stupid enough to do so, I have a very slim chance of getting a seat, but should by some miracle that happen, I should have my bags packed and waiting by the door to jump at the chance.  Eat me, I hated the school anyway
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 02:11:44 PM »
I'll admit I haven't been rejected yet, so I don't know exactly how it feels, but...

A lot of this seems like bad wording.  What BU was trying to say was pretty clear.  "Please don't let this rejection challenge your self worth as a person."  It just came out wrong.  The message they're trying to send wouldn't change if they overhauled the letter, just the wording would.  The UC-Hastings thing is a little different.  That's REALLY bad wording.  That plays up the school more than trying to console the rejected applicant.  That might even be a typo.  Perhaps they meant unenviable.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 02:20:36 PM »
I didn't find any of those that obnoxious.  I have had I think 4 rejections and I barely read them.  Who cares about them if they don't want me?  I know what I am capable of.  If that didn't come through in my app, then some other school will be in the "enviable" postion of having a kick ass student in their 1L class.

Keep your heads up kids!

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 02:24:49 PM »
I didn't find any of those that obnoxious.  I have had I think 4 rejections and I barely read them.  Who cares about them if they don't want me?  I know what I am capable of.  If that didn't come through in my app, then some other school will be in the "enviable" postion of having a kick ass student in their 1L class.

Keep your heads up kids!

I'm like you -- I never took the time to actually read them. As soon as I saw "we are unable" or "unfortunately," I just put them down. It's not like they're personalized in any way for me -- whether you had a 3.8/172 or a 1.9/138, the letter looks the same. But I've heard some schools' letters are unusually harsh, and that's what I wanted to hear more about through this thread....
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher