Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter  (Read 79582 times)

motheroftaurasi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Carol Go!
    • View Profile
Re: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »
I will never forget my Brown UG rejection letter.  I don't remember anything beyond the first line.  It said something like: Unfortunately "YOUR APPLICATION" was not among those selected to be a part of this year's incoming class.  Well, GEE, isn't that so nice of them not to reject ME!  Just my application, nothing to worry about.  So maybe I could send in another one.  Still bitter eight years later.

This has nothing to do with your post, you just really made me want to eat a cheese steak. Mmmm...cheese steak...

I also got rejected at Brown for undergrad. Then I saw who was admitted from my school, and I forgot why I applied.

katedennis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2006, 03:45:30 PM »
My Harvard rejection came in the stereotypical small white envelope, but the most obnoxious part was that they called my rejection something like "an inevitable conclusion" to having too many qualified applicants.  Yeah, your hands were really tied guys...
Univeristy of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

my lsn!

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2006, 08:27:25 PM »
I want someone to get a rejection letter in a large envelope.  Now that would be something to write about

Or perhaps if the school enclosed a view book with the letter to show the applicant what they are missing. 
There's no homework in Law School

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2006, 11:24:38 PM »
I want someone to get a rejection letter in a large envelope.  Now that would be something to write about

Or perhaps if the school enclosed a view book with the letter to show the applicant what they are missing. 

Or a list of their mst successful alumns and their salary per year. :D

Vapid I think all schools should use your model.  I am much more amenable to a rejection when it closes with something colloquial, like "later" or "peace out."
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

heyvolcano

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2006, 09:30:34 PM »
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but Georgetown's rejection letter was like, "At this time we are unable to honor your request for admission."

Okay now, I may only have a 3.4 GPA, but I am not quite stupid enough not to be able to comprehend the way the admissions process works.  I'm pretty sure the committee is able to admit anyone it wants to.

Ugh, how patronizing.  I'd rather they had written something along the lines of, "Dear Ms. Matthews:  We hate you.  We were so revolted by your application that we set it on fire.  Enclosed are the ashes.  Sincerely, the Georgetown Law Admission Staff."

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2006, 11:21:54 PM »
My Texas ding was concise:

You're not in. Competitive process. Good luck.

Baylor's seemed intent on rubbing it in:

We carefully reviewed your academic credentials. They weren't any good.

We carefully reviewed your non-academic credentials. They weren't any good.

Not only were your credentials bad objectively, but they were terrible compared to the academic and non-academic credentials of the class we chose.

By the way, apply for spring and summer. Those numbers don't count against our USNWR numbers. So send another $60 our way.

that is good stuff...

i cant believe people keep adding to this.  its the rejection not the wording that sucks.  deal with it, move on.

katedennis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
My Harvard rejection came in the stereotypical small white envelope, but the most obnoxious part was that they called my rejection something like "an inevitable conclusion" to having too many qualified applicants.  Yeah, your hands were really tied guys...

I read the letter, and to be honest, I really don't think it was obnoxious.  I don't know what you guys want them to say.

It wasn't terrible, certainly...I don't have any idea what I would say in a rejection letter...but I don't really appreciate the implication that it was inevitable I would be rejected.
Univeristy of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

my lsn!

whitearbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2006, 02:59:36 AM »
Duke's was something akin to "Dear applicant, you must be very disappointed with this decision, but donate more money to us and we'll love to reject your application again next year."

I don't have the actual letter because I just sorta tossed it somewhere. I regret wasting the $82 for it though.

At least UVA was polite enough to nicely reject me through their in-state priority wait-list that I prolly have no chance in hell to get off of (apparently last two years, they didn't accept anyone off of the WL?).

I don't remember getting any particularly BAD rejection letters for UG, although I do remember Dartmouth didn't give me a letter - they just told me to check my app status online and it said REJECTED on it. I do remember a bizarre situation where Carnegie Mellon apparently rejected me, then waitlisted me the next day... (can you say, sloppy, mixed up applications?!)... then they sent me a financial aid package with a $13k renewable grant. Apparently, before I could even accept (well, I was declining my WL seat)... they accepted me.

I was very confused before I sent my check to UVA.
Accepted: *W&M$$*, W&L, GWU, GMU, Richmond
Waitlisted: UVA
Rejected: Duke

3.59(3.65 final)/165

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »
Fun idea (if it hasn't already been posted):

Post an Accepted List and Rejected List by lsac number in a few major cities.

Then everyone has to gather around and check the list for their number, and we can watch each other scream "YES" or walk away mumbling.

Film the process, a la reality tv, so we can all enjoy...

jiggedyjared

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2006, 04:14:10 PM »
Then everyone has to gather around and check the list for their number, and we can watch each other scream "YES" or walk away mumbling.

Film the process, a la reality tv, so we can all enjoy...

The waitlisters would immediately corner all of the accepted students that are smaller than them withdraw or die.

I haven't finished an entire rejection letter so far.  As soon as I come to "unfortunately" it gets put down.