Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter  (Read 79629 times)

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Most Obnoxious Rejection Letter
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »
This is what I said I was going to do with mine over in the UW denial thread... It's one of my favorite rants so you get to see it again.

I once had three rejections in a 7-day span.  Depressing, yes, but then go to a law school that did accept you, do well, land a nice job, and then you can frame those rejections and have the last laugh.

Or you can just throw the dings in a fire, sure.

I've saved them.

I'm planning on folding up a paper Napoleon hat and sword and going to stand in the middle of the biggest common area I can find in my most disheartening rejection school so that I can shout unintelligibily at the 1Ls who stole my seat. Hopefully there will be a fountain I can stand in and splash about...
In: W&L, DePaul, NEU, Seattle, BC($$$)
Not Not In: GW, Cornell,American, UVA, Vandy
Not In: UW, ND, HLS, UMich, Chicago,  Yale, G-Town, Duke

LSN

Blog[/url

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
I thought my Berkeley rejection letter was nice!
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »
Tulane's was something like:

" we have carefully reviewed your application, and have concluded that we cannot offer you a seat... We apologize for any grief this might cause, but please rest assured that our review of your app was not cursory...[in other words - don't call us back begging to be re-considered. Trust me, we checked your info plenty. Not gonna happen]."

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2007, 08:37:07 PM »

True.  It was professional, and at least acknowledged the subjective nature of the admissions process.  I dont think I've ever seen a rejection letter quite as lengthy and apologetic. NYU's was OK (made it seem like it wasnt anything personal), while UChicago's was probably the bluntest and most poorly worded IMO.

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2007, 01:17:37 AM »

True. It was professional, and at least acknowledged the subjective nature of the admissions process.  I dont think I've ever seen a rejection letter quite as lengthy and apologetic. NYU's was OK (made it seem like it wasnt anything personal), while UChicago's was probably the bluntest and most poorly worded IMO.

Yea I can agree with that one! Sheeesh!!
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

smallandmighty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2007, 02:04:56 PM »
Chicago wrote "Although there is no way to lessen the disappointment...blah blah blah."

My boyfriend drew a noose on the letter next to this sentence and we put it on the fridge.

Sartre1982

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
I'm going with BC.  Thought that letter was soulless...

laxlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
My UG rejection from Michigan was particularly obnoxious.

Something along the lines of "We don't feel you have the academic credentials to continue your education at the University of Michigan etc..."

I was like...um I have a 3.9 and a 1350 on the SAT...and you're telling me I'm not smart enough when you're probably accepting B or B- students from Michigan over me.  Who the #(%$@# do you think you are?

I don't think you are right about that.

The joke around here (Michigan) is that it is impossible to get into U of M if your a Midwestern, white male.

I don't know either way, but that seems to be the feeling shared by that large majority of applicants.

What I can tell you, is that I know of plenty of 99% percentile ACT/SAT applicants with 3.75+ GPAs that have gotten rejected from U of M. Once again, couldn't tell you why. It is a very competitive school.

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
Tulane's was something like:

" we have carefully reviewed your application, and have concluded that we cannot offer you a seat... We apologize for any grief this might cause, but please rest assured that our review of your app was not cursory...[in other words - don't call us back begging to be re-considered. Trust me, we checked your info plenty. Not gonna happen]."

I got one from Tulane that stated, "Despite our recent misfortunes regarding the near destruction of our school and displacement of our faculty, staff, and students, we still believe that you do not have the credentials to be part of The Green Wave."
3L

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »
My UG rejection from Michigan was particularly obnoxious.

Something along the lines of "We don't feel you have the academic credentials to continue your education at the University of Michigan etc..."

I was like...um I have a 3.9 and a 1350 on the SAT...and you're telling me I'm not smart enough when you're probably accepting B or B- students from Michigan over me.  Who the #(%$@# do you think you are?

I don't think you are right about that.

The joke around here (Michigan) is that it is impossible to get into U of M if your a Midwestern, white male.

I don't know either way, but that seems to be the feeling shared by that large majority of applicants.

What I can tell you, is that I know of plenty of 99% percentile ACT/SAT applicants with 3.75+ GPAs that have gotten rejected from U of M. Once again, couldn't tell you why. It is a very competitive school.

well the thing with michigan was the old point system, which rewarded minorities (whether you think that's fair or not) of all kinds.  you'd get points for coming from an under-represented county like in the UP or something.  you'd get points for a lot of things.  you would get points for coming from a top and respected school (say the international academy).  you'd get points for having a difficult curriculum etc etc.  so the system wasnt very fair for your white male from like oakland county who went to a crappy school but had good grades and test scores.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.