Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Dad is My Landlord  (Read 560 times)

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My Dad is My Landlord
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:02:19 PM »
It looks like I'll be moving in with my Dad and stepmother come August.  This should be fine since they are retired and are at that home about half the year.  Their house is also close to school, so the commute will be more managable than my other living options. And you definitely can't beat the rent.

That having been said, I haven't lived with either of my parents in 10 years. It may be a bit of an adjustment going back to that.  And, I've never actually lived with my Dad full time. So that will also be an interesting adjustment too.

Anyone else about to make the big step backward and move in with the parents?
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

georgialax

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My Dad is My Landlord
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
I am moving in with the parents again ( hopefully with none of the rules) but hopefully only for a short time until my best friend and soon to be roommate moves back home.....have you made the decision about villanova yet?

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:09:13 PM »
Yup. Decision is made. Villanova for sure. It's starting to sink in and I'm pretty excited.

An added bonus for me is that my Mom lives in downtown Philly. So if I feel the need to go out in the city I have a place to crash. 
158 (155+161)/3.1
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L

georgialax

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »
congrats on villanova!!....i'm sure my weekends will be spent studying and having my mother over my shoulder making sure i am eat three square meals

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
congrats on villanova!!....i'm sure my weekends will be spent studying and having my mother over my shoulder making sure i am eat three square meals

That's actually why I didn't want to live at my Mom's!
158 (155+161)/3.1

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:33:31 AM »
I am doing this right now. Moved home after graduation to make the LSAT/application process slightly less stressful. hopefully moving back out soon, next couplr of weeks? :)  The food is certainly a positive aspect ;), but really not worth the drama that is my family. If you can deal with living at home + law school, I salute you.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 08:13:27 AM »
I am doing this right now. Moved home after graduation to make the LSAT/application process slightly less stressful. hopefully moving back out soon, next couplr of weeks? :)  The food is certainly a positive aspect ;), but really not worth the drama that is my family. If you can deal with living at home + law school, I salute you.

Well, I don't think there will be much drama. All my siblings are older (therefore out of the house) and my dad and stepmom won't be around all that much.  I guess I won't really be aroound that much either.
158 (155+161)/3.1

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 08:54:40 AM »

Well, I don't think there will be much drama. All my siblings are older (therefore out of the house) and my dad and stepmom won't be around all that much.  I guess I won't really be aroound that much either.

..and when your parents go out of town you can throw the best raging parties in law school, and we'll invite tons of UG hotties, because while right now we think we're all grown up, that mentality will change as soon as we get back on campus.

More power to the parent option.  One less thing to stress about.  In all seriousness, depending on the size of the house and your proximity to your parent, I would consider spending a couple hundred bucks or more on some sound-proofing for your room (or at least the room you plan on studying in at home).  As much for them, as for you.  This way if you want to play some music at 1:00 am during a study break, or when you scream out in agony in the midst of reading Con Law, there won't be any household friction.