Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings housing -- McAllister Tower  (Read 2783 times)

Canteen

• View Profile
Hastings housing -- McAllister Tower
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »
I've read a lot of information about where to live around UC Hastings, but nothing substantial about McAllister Tower (the student housing complex at Hastings).

Could people post opinions, reviews, etc. about McAllister? And, if possible, could people post photos of the building and some of its rooms somewhere like Ginatio's Law School Gallery (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,3010.0)?

Yeah, I know I sound bossy ... I'd run out to McAllister Tower and see it for myself if I could, but I won't be in the US until late July.

BTW, here's some info I found at Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=4qf16e%24im3%40igc.apc.org&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dhastings%2Bmcallister%2Btower%26ie%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den

Thanks!

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings housing -- McAllister Tower
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 04:53:31 PM »
Can't help you there...I plan on living off campus.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 07:14:21 PM »
I pass by McAllister tower twice a day--it's an art deco highrise. I've never been inside, though.

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 09:27:17 AM »
Can't help you there...I plan on living off campus.

Where tahoe? Why are you so sure?

I am trying to figure my living situation out right now. :-\
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

ajsk24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 12:15:01 PM »
I wouldn't live there... I personally love dorms and stayed in a dorm all 4 years of college when most of my friends lived off campus after 2 years... so i have a very high tolerance for dorms/living situation etc.. but i was thoroughly disappointed when i went to go visit the tower... it's old OLD hotel.. the hall ways stink... paints on wall and ceiling is just falling apart and they have no plans to fix them.. Rents are expensive in SF, but rent price has gone down substantially and now you can find rooms for cheaper price than the tower...

i just feel like i am going to be depressed if i lived there.. i would rather commute and spend extra 20minutes in the morning and live some place that i can call a "HOME"

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 12:25:53 PM »
Nola8688--
I plan on living off campus because I don't want the Tenderloin to be my only SF experience.  I want to have a diverse experience and get to know people outside of law school.  My hope is to find a roommate or 2 on housing day and find a place off campus.  That way, I get the experience of living w/ several students, but not hundreds.  I just think exam time would be a total frenzy in the tower.  I think living off campus will help me keep perspective.  I also agree that the tower is quite expensive now compared to what you can get off campus.  So...hopefully I will find some nice folks on housing day.  I spoke to a 1L at admit weekend and she said that is how she found her roommates.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:55:44 PM »
Nola8688--
I plan on living off campus because I don't want the Tenderloin to be my only SF experience.  I want to have a diverse experience and get to know people outside of law school.  My hope is to find a roommate or 2 on housing day and find a place off campus.  That way, I get the experience of living w/ several students, but not hundreds.  I just think exam time would be a total frenzy in the tower.  I think living off campus will help me keep perspective.  I also agree that the tower is quite expensive now compared to what you can get off campus.  So...hopefully I will find some nice folks on housing day.  I spoke to a 1L at admit weekend and she said that is how she found her roommates.

This is giving me great information. Thank you both. I am now debating whether to send my deposit today... 75$ of the 300 is not refundable...
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

altrnet18

• Heading to Hastings
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:40:02 PM »
When exactly is housing day? I think I remember it being on June 11, but I'm not 100% sure. As for finding apartments in SF cheaper than the tower... I'm not so sure about that. It might be possible if you're hunting with roommates, but I'm looking for a studio or a place to live by myself. McAllister is by far the cheapest rate I've found so far. Keep in mind that basically all utilities are included at the Tower. You also get free wireless internet access.

If I don't get a space in McAllister, I'm probably going to look for housing in the East Bay. Rates are cheaper, plus I've found that places in the East tend to have parking included. I sent my deposit a few days ago for McAllister, so I expect to find out by the end of June.

Canteen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the info ... I applied for McAllister housing just in case.

My options are living in McAllister or living with my parents and commuting to school.

snowbrder

• ICQ Messenger - 72420360
    • MSN Messenger - Snowbrder_cutie@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kellychen168
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 03:27:02 PM »
i just got my contract from "the tower."  my rent is only $650 for a 225 sq ft space (with a tiny kitchen).  i am thinking to just go with the flow...if the place sucks, then i will just move out next year.  if not, i save myself some trouble.  my suggestion is that you are there to get an education. the quality of life sure is important, but it is not the first priority.  I hope this will make you feel better, if you decide to stay at the tower and be my neighbor : )