LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) > Studying for the LSAT

Practice LSAT...

(1/3) > >>

vsavatar:
I was wondering about a couple things.  I took a full practice LSAT last night and only scored a 159 on it (which I guess isn't horrible), but my question is, how accurate is that a reflection of what my actual LSAT score is likely to be, and my second question is about what percentile would a 159 fall into.  The part that really tripped me up was the logic games part.  It kicked my arse majorly.

Quarry_Girl:
A 156 is in the 70th percentile...so a 159 isn't bad at all.  If you are strict on timing yourself in your practice tests I would think it would be a fairly accurate representation of how you might score that day (if you have consistently scored in that range after a few practice tests).....but that is assuming no last-minute jitters on test day. When are you taking the LSAT?

vsavatar:
It's still aways off for me.  I'm a junior, but I'm going part time so it'll be another 2 or 3 years before I graduate.  I'll probably take it a year before I graduate.  That way if I do have to retake for some reason I can do so right around graduation time.  I'd really like to get into one of the top 10, but I'm realistic enough to realize that a 159 is just not going to cut it since I'm white, male, anglo-saxon, and protestant.  Now, if I could drive it up another 10 points by some miracle I might at least stand a chance, but more realistically I'm looking at a couple schools including Emory, Davis, and Hastings with MSU as a fallback.  I'd love to go to U of M, considering its within commuting distance for me, but like I said, that LSAT score just isn't going to cut it since I'm not a minority.

Andrew:
I don't think the first practice LSAT you blindly take is a very good representation of your LSAT abilities at all.  Take a couple more to get an idea where you stand.  Also, be careful of unofficial practice tests.  I found them good for practice but I always got much lower scores than on the real ones (presumably this is because I was working from a book that wanted me to get a better score on the real test so I'd think, "oh, that book helped so much...").

That said, a book or class will help a little.  There are a lot of strategies you can try.  For example, on the games section (this wasn't in my book) I found that there was never enough to time to complete the section perfectly.  It was better to narrow down the answers to two and pick the more likely one.  Better to answer all the questions with 80% certainty than to answer 70% of the questions with 100% certainty.

Carly:
Uh, being a Protestant won't have any bearing on your admission chances!! :-)

But seriously...your score will go up with practice. Use the strategies in PR's Cracking the LSAT, get their Analytical Workout book for help with the games section (a must!), and also practice with real LSATs - you can get all of those on Amazon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version