Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how NOT to prepare for law school  (Read 5184 times)

jgruber

Re: how NOT to prepare for law school
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2004, 10:06:50 PM »
dat's what i read happens and it's not urban lesson.  when you have to win at all costs...

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2004, 10:07:33 PM »
i wasn't picking on you.  :)  i was speaking generally.  i read that writing well is probably one of the most important skills for a lawyer, because more of what you do will be read than heard.

And work hard on improving your writing.

AHAHA yes, i know...i don't like to proof read what I write on forums...stop pointing at my FAULTS!! damn it....never gonna add my inputs again...u sux lol.

Man I hear that ALOT.  And that is very true.  The lawyers at my firm rarely go to trial.  Besides meeting up for depositions with the opposing parties etc everything is argued in writing. 
Can you handle a double shot Incredible Hulk?

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2004, 10:09:15 PM »
dat's what i read happens and it's not urban lesson.  when you have to win at all costs...

I think you meant "URBAN LEGENDS" woo hoo 1 pt for me AHHAHAHA.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2004, 10:11:56 PM »
I agree that even the less than brilliant can receive great grades, however, I'm actually concerned w/ learning the material. I'd rather have decent grades (Bs) and really know my stuff rather than (A-s) and know it half ass.

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2004, 10:15:17 PM »
I agree that even the less than brilliant can receive great grades, however, I'm actually concerned w/ learning the material. I'd rather have decent grades (Bs) and really know my stuff rather than (A-s) and know it half ass.

But in law school if you know the material, you should be getting the As, not like how it is in undergrad.

Ginatio

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2004, 10:19:18 PM »
and don't forget to throw in a couple of "*&^%"s and "female private part"s every few sentences

And work hard on improving your writing.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2004, 10:21:41 PM »
Ideally, you should be getting As if you know the material. However, you're grade really is your exam. And since I'm a terrible writer I don't think its that easy to pull off an A under timed pressure.

dta

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2004, 10:49:01 PM »
I agree what you just stated, I think we have different definitions of what what "studying smart" means.  I don't mean by being smart, I meant it like being efficient.

For example, reading some over and over again doesn't mean I will grasp what the concept that I am trying undertand, but actually applying it to other situations etc.  I guess what I am saying, with my definition of studying hard is that you have to not just do the work but actually soak it in and able to apply it.

Right. That's exactly my plan. I want to have all the cases read before my first day of class. That way, I can then spend a great deal of time thinking about, reflecting on, and hypothesizing about the cases rather than trying to come up to speed on the facts. The more time I spend now knowing the facts, the more time I can spend later analyzing and thinking about the cases in the new and novel ways the professor suggests.

studying 'hard' now will allow me to do more 'smart' studying later.

Ginatio

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2004, 11:02:25 PM »
Here's what I've heard (maybe 1Ls out there or Andrew can shed some light):

the exams aren't necessarily based on anything that the professor may have covered or taught. The professor has upwards of 100-200 of these things to read, so he's not looking for a long-winded essay. in this respect, apparently a quick outline with a few sentences on your reasoning will suffice for a good grade. Also, I'm under the impression that you can get away with not going to class at all and still acing the exams just by reviewing the commercial outline for the course, and possibly taking notes from it to take into the exam with you.

Coming from engineering, I'm not sure I will be able to adjust to this type of grading...

Ideally, you should be getting As if you know the material. However, you're grade really is your exam. And since I'm a terrible writer I don't think its that easy to pull off an A under timed pressure.

jgruber

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2004, 11:43:06 AM »

I think you meant "URBAN LEGENDS" woo hoo 1 pt for me AHHAHAHA.

when the fingers think one thing and the brain thinks another, the fingers win.  I know the term but my fingers didn't want to type it.  wudya gonna do?   :D