Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What else can i do?  (Read 1145 times)

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What else can i do?
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:18:32 PM »
I took the June Lsats last year, applied this year and didn't get into the schools I wanted to go to.

I decided to take the Lsats again (Oct) and reapply. I was wondering what else I could do to help my score. The last time I studied for the Lsats, I studied for several months (4) and took well over 25 real Lsat exams, timed.... for awhile I would spend a majority of my studying at the U of C library after work and weekends with my trusty timer and Real Lsat book and individual exams (from LSAC, those poops who like to overcharge)

Anyways, my range was from 156 to 172 (large range I know... but the scores were getting higher with time). I was averaging at least a 164 on most of my exams. Of course test time comes and I get the LOWEST score in my range.  >:(

I was wondering what else could I do, or should I do to study again for my October Lsat. I was thinking a prep class, but I'm not sure which one. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  ;D

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What else can i do?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 12:21:54 PM »
I took the June Lsats last year, applied this year and didn't get into the schools I wanted to go to.

I decided to take the Lsats again (Oct) and reapply. I was wondering what else I could do to help my score. The last time I studied for the Lsats, I studied for several months (4) and took well over 25 real Lsat exams, timed.... for awhile I would spend a majority of my studying at the U of C library after work and weekends with my trusty timer and Real Lsat book and individual exams (from LSAC, those poops who like to overcharge)

Anyways, my range was from 156 to 172 (large range I know... but the scores were getting higher with time). I was averaging at least a 164 on most of my exams. Of course test time comes and I get the LOWEST score in my range.  >:(

I was wondering what else could I do, or should I do to study again for my October Lsat. I was thinking a prep class, but I'm not sure which one. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  ;D

Hmm, I would take a quick weekend course for some additional tips b/c your scores were already pretty high.  Powerscore is supposed to be good.  It might have been the pressure of being in the actual environment with people around you.  Try taking several exams in bookstores or other places where there are distractions.  Good Luck!!   
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

M2

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:25:39 PM »
I know you took a lot of exams but did you continuously practice old exams?
How much did you study every day?

I agree that a course may be warranted... I would checkout Powerscore.
I am taking their weekend course this Saturday/Sunday.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 12:27:22 PM »
did you try to identify why you were missing certain questions? 

im not an expert on this by any means...

have you tried taking the test untimed?

you need to isolate what your weakness is...starting first from time, then sections.

meaning, take the test untimed.  if you dont get 180 or anywhere close, then youre the questions are the problem, not the time.  if you do get close to perfect, then the time is the problem, not the questions.

once you identify that, you can start to isolate your weakest sections and the questions you are getting stumped on.

i wouldnt recommend taking a course until you do this. 

just my 4 haypennies.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »
I thought the Powerscore weekend course was great.  Especially since you've already taken lots of practice exams studying for the first lsat.  Your course materials are great, since there's over 100 pages of "homework" to work on after the course and really nail the skills covered during the class.

I was surprised, however, that most people were *starting* to study with the PS Weekend course.  I was one of the only ones in the room who had been studying on my own for over 2 months.  It definitely boosted my confidence a bit that I had a lot more work under my belt and therefore had a bit more of an advantage.

Good luck!

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:34:28 PM »
I know you took a lot of exams but did you continuously practice old exams?
How much did you study every day?

I agree that a course may be warranted... I would checkout Powerscore.
I am taking their weekend course this Saturday/Sunday.

I studied about 2 hours a day after work and about 6 hours on weekends (two exams)... Maybe that isn't enough, but with work it really drained me.... I also got from LSAC all the new released exams so most of the exams I took weren't too old.

Munkeysgrrl- thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into Powerscore

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 12:37:30 PM »

you need to isolate what your weakness is...starting first from time, then sections.

meaning, take the test untimed.  if you dont get 180 or anywhere close, then youre the questions are the problem, not the time.  if you do get close to perfect, then the time is the problem, not the questions.

once you identify that, you can start to isolate your weakest sections and the questions you are getting stumped on.

just my 4 haypennies.

you're right, I should do this first. Time is a weird issue for me because when I would practice (AND in the real Lsat) I NEVER ran out of time... I always had 5 minutes to spare... I believe my main weakness is rushing myself. I always time to make sure I pace myself on the exam. I made a lot of stupid mistakes mainly dealing with time and misreading something (If I had taken the time I should have been ok)

I will try to analyze my ability again before I decide on whether I should take a course or not.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 12:41:04 PM »

Rushing has been my biggest enemy on games.  its a contradiction of sorts because it is the most highly timed segment of the test and yet I seem to do much better when I am slower and more careful.

LRs and RCs i have gotten timing down to about a perfect pace, but it has taken a lot of practice to get there.

just my 4 haypennies.

you're right, I should do this first. Time is a weird issue for me because when I would practice (AND in the real Lsat) I NEVER ran out of time... I always had 5 minutes to spare... I believe my main weakness is rushing myself. I always time to make sure I pace myself on the exam. I made a lot of stupid mistakes mainly dealing with time and misreading something (If I had taken the time I should have been ok)

I will try to analyze my ability again before I decide on whether I should take a course or not.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 12:47:18 PM »
i also think that taking a prep class, in your case, is NOT a good idea.  the prep classes will teach you certain methods that can be learned from their books.  for me, i didnt take a prep class because i couldnt justify paying over a thousand dollars to have someone teach me the same material i can learn on my own from a few $40 books. 

personally, i think prep classes are good for people who cant motivate themselves to study and need to be forced.  my motivation was my wife kicking my ass if i didnt study...that was the best motivation i could get.  in your case, i dont think you lack that.  i think studying about 2-3 hours a day and 5+ hours on weekends should do wonders.  i studied about the same (about 3-4 hours/day, and 6-8hours on weekends, but only for 2-3 months, not 4 months like you).  but studying hours on end without direction is worthless unless you know and understand what your weaknesses are and have a strategy in place to mitigate those weaknesses. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'