Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low lsat, Harvard here I come  (Read 5102 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: low lsat, Harvard here I come
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 01:33:51 PM »
thats probably a legacy youd want to forget if you were harvard...

unless he's a legacy at harvard...

i think its safe to say this is complete BS.  yale did not admit anyone with LSAT scores under 155 and its probably reasonable to think Harvard is the same.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Brazil Boy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 09:48:40 PM »
Admissions is an arcane process, especially in the top schools.  Logically, if George W. Bush has attended and graduated both Yale AND Harvard, then it is indisputable that there are ways for someone with an intellect that doesn't quite rise to the level of middling to get into those schools.  How exactly that can happen is not entirely clear, but legacy (particularly if the legatee's parents have been generous to their alma mater), affirmative action and celebrity have a lot to do with it.

And even more cynically, I have a suspicion that top schools will admit, under one pretext or another, a few applicants who are clearly less qualified than most, just so they can plausibly claim (as they do) that there is no LSAT and GPA cutoff, and that everyone who is interested in attending should apply. Schools obviously like to boast about having a huge pool of applicants, and they also like those $70 checks that come with the applications. If Harvard has 5,000 applicants annually, that amounts to some $350,000. That would go a long way in paying for the salaries of the admissions officers.

I myself will soon be testing the power of affirmative action, I have a 3.43 GPA from a crappy state school and an LSAT of 171 with no notable extracurricular activities. Normally, I don't think those credentials would be enough for me to be considered at Hahvahd, but by checking "Hispanic or Latino" in the app, who knows? It could just be my trump card.

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 01:50:22 AM »
I dunno about harvard practicing affirmative action. they're too right-wing elitist for that.

go for any one of the UCs or michigan

Admissions is an arcane process, especially in the top schools.  Logically, if George W. Bush has attended and graduated both Yale AND Harvard, then it is indisputable that there are ways for someone with an intellect that doesn't quite rise to the level of middling to get into those schools.  How exactly that can happen is not entirely clear, but legacy (particularly if the legatee's parents have been generous to their alma mater), affirmative action and celebrity have a lot to do with it.

And even more cynically, I have a suspicion that top schools will admit, under one pretext or another, a few applicants who are clearly less qualified than most, just so they can plausibly claim (as they do) that there is no LSAT and GPA cutoff, and that everyone who is interested in attending should apply. Schools obviously like to boast about having a huge pool of applicants, and they also like those $70 checks that come with the applications. If Harvard has 5,000 applicants annually, that amounts to some $350,000. That would go a long way in paying for the salaries of the admissions officers.

I myself will soon be testing the power of affirmative action, I have a 3.43 GPA from a crappy state school and an LSAT of 171 with no notable extracurricular activities. Normally, I don't think those credentials would be enough for me to be considered at Hahvahd, but by checking "Hispanic or Latino" in the app, who knows? It could just be my trump card.

NYBound05

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 02:28:04 AM »
I dunno about harvard practicing affirmative action. they're too right-wing elitist for that.

go for any one of the UCs or michigan

I don't know about that.  Harvard has one of the top public interest programs in the country, and minorties make up a significant percentage of individuals who pursue public interest, regardless of the institution.  Therefore, because I'm sure they want to keep their p.i. program intact, it would be ridiculous for Harvard not to practice Affirmative Action.

Capone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 01:28:11 PM »
i think its safe to say this is complete BS.  yale did not admit anyone with LSAT scores under 155 and its probably reasonable to think Harvard is the same.

How do you know that? where can u find this out?

I know that l;ast year the lowest LSAt Berkely law took was a  146... because the admission officer told me

nathanielmark

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 01:29:34 PM »
Yale has a grid on the website.  there are 0 admits under `155.  i would be surprised if harvard isnt the same.  i think yale only had a handful betweeen 155-160.  those are probably the children of large donors and politicians.

Capone

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 01:31:50 PM »
Yale has a grid on the website.  there are 0 admits under `155.  i would be surprised if harvard isnt the same.  i think yale only had a handful betweeen 155-160.  those are probably the children of large donors and politicians.

one thing that i noticed from lawschoolnumbers.com is the admission officers are VERY VERY lenient in minority applications..... especially iof your a black female... I saw a black F with a 159 and a 3.1 and she was accepted into just about every top 15 law school today.... i am being totally honest here.

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 01:34:36 PM »
good.  this is exactly the way it should be.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »

one thing that i noticed from lawschoolnumbers.com is the admission officers are VERY VERY lenient in minority applications..... especially iof your a black female... I saw a black F with a 159 and a 3.1 and she was accepted into just about every top 15 law school today.... i am being totally honest here.

you should take the extreme cases on LSN with a grain of salt.  i would use that site to gauge the median of the scores that are being accepted...but the extreme cases should not be used to gauge your acceptance into any law school.  use the 25/75 rule, even on that site. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 02:16:25 PM »
actually i heard harvard is a pretty left wing, liberal school.

they are elitist, but not right wing elitist.

more like east coast intellectual elitism....even that huntington guy is a democrat and opposes the iraq war.