Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sony Vaio?  (Read 1987 times)

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Vaio?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 08:48:04 AM »
What I'm wondering is just what the heck you people expect to be doing on your big power-machines with all the bells and whistles?

I plan to take notes in class and write exams on the thing. Lessee..I need Word and the exam software. Hmm. I should pretty much be able to handle that on any laptop.

I guess if you are planning on replacing your desktop with this than I can understand. Otherwise, it all seems like a pissing contest and a big waste of money. Then again, most lawyers seem to try and outdo each other in terms of cars, houses and trophy wives. May as well start early with laptops.

Yes to the last part - i will be using my laptop also as my desktop (as I always do).  I may get a docking station but I may not.  Regardless, if I'm planning to be sitting in a library for 30 weekends in a row, the last thing I want to do is be staring at a 13 inch monitor, as I peck out words on a micro keyboard, and wait for my mini-computer to cool down some more so the operating speed will pick back up, before the tiny battery goes dead in under two hours.  Getting a powerful and up-to-date desktop replacement laptop is as much about durability and practicality and battery longevity as it is about raw speed.

When you're pecking around your little keyboard during in exams, finishing off your first page of answers, I'll be sure to give you a shout out from the corner as I blast on to my tenth page on my full-size keyboard.  And when you're frantically looking for an outlet for your dead battery, i'll give you a nod of empathy as i keep typing away, with two hours of charge time to go, and a spare modular battery pack on my desk - just in case i need it.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 08:49:51 AM »
Winbook offers a service plan for $179 which guarantees 48 hour turnaround time on any needed repairs. If I buy one, I'll definately get that.

I guess I need to go to the store and kick the tires on some different laptops.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 09:03:59 AM »
Winbook offers a service plan for $179 which guarantees 48 hour turnaround time on any needed repairs. If I buy one, I'll definately get that.

I guess I need to go to the store and kick the tires on some different laptops.

I'm on as tight a budget as the next guy.  This is why i would seriously think twice before buying the winbook, or any non-name brand laptop (I feel differently about desktops for obvious reasons).  48 hours is a long time for "turnaround".  Add on a day or two for shipping in each direction and you're at a week without your computer.  Also, do they pay for overnight priority each way, or do you pay?  Right there you could be easily adding $100 to the cost every time there's an issue.  With the onsite service, the beauty is that you never have to hesitate having a problem fixed, even if it's a stupid little problem that may or may not get worse.  You spot an issue - boom - call Dell and schedule a visit into your shedule.

Even if you're saving 50% over a better computer, if you end up needing to replace it in a year or two, your savings are gone.  Add the headache you're left with and it just doesn't seem worth it.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »
What I'm wondering is just what the heck you people expect to be doing on your big power-machines with all the bells and whistles?

I plan to take notes in class and write exams on the thing. Lessee..I need Word and the exam software. Hmm. I should pretty much be able to handle that on any laptop.

I guess if you are planning on replacing your desktop with this than I can understand. Otherwise, it all seems like a pissing contest and a big waste of money. Then again, most lawyers seem to try and outdo each other in terms of cars, houses and trophy wives. May as well start early with laptops.

Well as stated before, my dell dropped dead. So this system is a replacement for that...which I was using as my only computer.
Uconn Law 1L.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2005, 01:19:04 PM »
I really like the vaio but I can't justify it.  When I get XP pro like required for GW it is at 1549.99 and that is without any type of on site service plan.  That is ridiculous.  I can get a dell 700m INCLUDING 3 years on site service for the same price.  Granted, dells aren't nearly as reliable, but if I have the on site plan who cares.  Sony is smoking crack.
Attending GW in Fall '06

mattn

• AOL Instant Messenger - talenos
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2005, 01:32:10 PM »
Sony and IBM make you pay for their computers.  They seem overpriced compared to the competition, but they're just like buying a foreign car.  You just get a few things you normally wouldn't get on a domestic.

Myself I'm going for an IBM T or X series since I can get a discount on them.  IBMs are business machines so they have a lot of nice features like hard drive protection if you drop your lappy.  Things like that could be quite useful. I'll probably have 2-3 backup computers anyway though.

But one thing you have to know is there are only a handful of people that actually make laptops so most of them are the same exact thing with a different brand stamped on it.

I'd say look at IBM, Toshiba, Dell. 

Sony just always seems a little overpriced for what you get.

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 01:38:41 PM »
I just ran into the Winbook 2220. I've never even heard of this company, but I like the reviews of this notebook (especially the price- $749 online). Any comments?

I just sent you a PM re: winbook.  You can feel free to repost it here if you think others would be interested, but I didn't save it and don't feel like retyping it. 

Reader's Digest Version:  Long time winbook owner.  At one time was very satisfied with their product and service.  Both have declined tremendously over the last year or two.  Stay away.