Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sony Vaio?  (Read 2022 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
Re: Sony Vaio?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 07:06:33 PM »
it's all about what does it for you - my wife has a Compaq Presario 700 laptop that she bought 4 years ago - still does the job today after 4 years of PhD work and one heck of a lot of typing, though without built in wireless and a relatively small hard drive and slow processor it won't cut it for my law school needs, but it works.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 07:46:41 AM »
Is the sony vaio that bad?  I purchased mine last week...I got an S series, shelled out 1,800 for it and so far it seems to be the best thing I have ever spent my $$$ on.  I had a dell and it was a piece of crap.  Is it jus the cheap vaios that overheat and have bettery problems?  My computer is a new model just released within the last couple of months.
Uconn Law 1L.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 08:39:07 AM »
I just ran into the Winbook 2220. I've never even heard of this company, but I like the reviews of this notebook (especially the price- $749 online). Any comments?

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
I just got the Vaio FS

This is a great notebook at a good price!

100gb harddrive
1gb memory
centrino tech.
15.4 brightview screen
thin and lite

and under 18,000.00 after taxes.

I love it!  ;D

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 06:37:46 PM »
There's another thread on laptops here

However, as to the Winbook, I just have to say buyer beware.  There are a lot of companies that sell computers, both desktops and laptops.  There are only a few companies that manufacture parts.  Most resellers sell the same hardware with a different label, different service package, different software package and slightly different hardware package.  One company may substitute a cheap hard drive in place of an expensive one, or skimp on the optical drive. So what's the difference in the end?  Well, it's really the quality of hardware and the service package in my opinion.  Most computers out there, given the state of hardware these days, will blow your mind.  However, only the good quality stuff will last in the long run (and that's not a 100% guarantee).  Because it's not a guarantee, the service is equally important.  Companies like Winbook or Averatec have a tough time gaining a foothold because they can't compete with Dell or Gateway in the service department.  They just don't have the size or capital to do it.  Their computers can compete in tech, but if something breaks... look out.  So, buyer beware.

Just as an aside, there is a Circuit City a block from my office and a CompUSA in my building.  I go to each every week or so just to see what's on the shelves.  Circuit City has a deal going right now on Vaios if anyone is interested.  And I have to agree that the new S series, and even the FS series, are beautiful machines that have everything it takes, tech wise, to rock.  I'm just a little skittish on Sony because of past experience with other Sony electronics and the Sony-centric philosophy (like having a Memory Stick slot instead of an SD slot).  I don't buy Apple for the same reason - even though the PowerBook is incredible, it's a closed, largely proprietary system.  Windows isn't the best in a lot of ways, but the largest amount of manufacturers support it and there are widely adopted hardware standards if you need to augment your system.  Sony closes that opening a bit and I'm not too keen on that.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 07:51:43 PM »
I got mine at circuit city last weekend and it has a $250 rebate ($150 from CC and $100 from Sony) but the offer only lasts until 4/9.  After that it is just the standard $100 rebate from Sony.  I got the S360 and it was $1,699 and $1,800 after tax...but only $1,550 after my rebate!  It's tiny, but that is what I wanted. I'm short so I need to be able to see over the thing in class when I'm seated.  It has a 13" screen, centrino, 70g harddrive, burner, and some other stuff.  Don't even get me started on the built in wireless card! It can pick up peoples wireless down the darn street! 

I <3 my vaio.
Uconn Law 1L.

eurekarally

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 10:06:31 PM »
I was reading the reviews for the Vaio S360 on Circuit City's website and a few people complained about the loud fan.  What do you think of yours? 

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 10:17:53 PM »
I don't think it's loud, but then again my dell used to be so loud I would have to stick the pointy end of a pen cap in it to stop it from turning occasionally...it drove me nuts!  So maybe it is just not THAT loud, lol I don't know.  Seems ok to me.  :)
Uconn Law 1L.

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 10:41:43 PM »
I was reading the reviews for the Vaio S360 on Circuit City's website and a few people complained about the loud fan.  What do you think of yours? 

I had a vaio, althought not S series. But the fan issue comes hand in hand with the overheating issue. I think that at least for the first year, the laptop works like wonders. Very sleek looking and quick. But it starts to overheat, and then the fan starts to run, and although you get used to it, I don't know if your classmates in law school are gonna be fine with it.

As for the Winbook (someone asked I think), it was the first laptop I ever owned, which I got my first year of college. It was a very old model that was very heavy and inconvenient to carry around for long distances. Very nice screen size though, but again, battery life just sucked. It stopped charging all together in the end. It no longer even runs I think and so my brother threw it away. Don't know what the new ones look like though...
Attending: Columbia Law School

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »
What I'm wondering is just what the heck you people expect to be doing on your big power-machines with all the bells and whistles?

I plan to take notes in class and write exams on the thing. Lessee..I need Word and the exam software. Hmm. I should pretty much be able to handle that on any laptop.

I guess if you are planning on replacing your desktop with this than I can understand. Otherwise, it all seems like a pissing contest and a big waste of money. Then again, most lawyers seem to try and outdo each other in terms of cars, houses and trophy wives. May as well start early with laptops.