Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Priority WL at Georgetown  (Read 3179 times)

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Priority WL at Georgetown
« on: April 04, 2005, 08:34:49 PM »
I"m kind of surprised as I was expecting a ding this late in the game, but I'm not complaining. 

EDIT: according to the letter it's actually the Preferred Waiting List

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Priority WL at Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 08:36:26 PM »
Likewise...

Hell, I didn't think I stood a chance in hell at Georgetown, but as with you, I'm hardly complaining. My Dad nearly shat himself when he saw the letter, always good to trigger involuntary bowel movements in one's incontinent parents.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

davisxa

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sue first; ask question later.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:01:22 AM »
Well, I thought I was definitely in, but I got the priority waitlist too. When I got waitlisted at U. Penn, (where I was expecting a rejection) I felt like, cool, that's like honorable mention or something. But a WL from Georgetown? That means either I applied waaaaay too late or my application was remarkably un-remarkable. In either case, it's lame. :-\
_____________________________ _____________________
3.46/170
In: U. Penn. (45k/3), Cornell(47k/3), Georgetown (66k/3), Northeastern (69k/3)
WL: NYU
"reserve"(?): Columbia
Rejected: Boalt, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=davisxa

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:42:47 AM »
Are you guys planning to stay on?  What are your other options?

davisxa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 06:02:58 PM »
My other option is Cornell, where I'm in, or Northeastern, where I got a big fat scholarship. I'm confused. Technically Cornell is ranked higher than Georgetown, but there's this wierd psychology at play where you want something more if it doesn't want you. Also I like the idea of going to a really, really big law school. And not being stuck in the sticks. And I hate the snow. But I want to do labor law, and Cornell is supposed to be a good place for that. Someone talk some sense into me. I'm debating taking myself off the waitlist to make room for someone else.
3.46/170

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »
I am also on the priority list at Georgetown AND on the reserve list at Cornell (my two top choices). I'll be sending my deposit in to Tulane or Notre Dame (probably ND) and just hope for the best. I figure things will work out whatever happens (unless I fail a class cuz I'm being so damn lazy this semester). :o

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 08:07:36 PM »
My other option is Cornell, where I'm in, or Northeastern, where I got a big fat scholarship. I'm confused. Technically Cornell is ranked higher than Georgetown, but there's this wierd psychology at play where you want something more if it doesn't want you. Also I like the idea of going to a really, really big law school. And not being stuck in the sticks. And I hate the snow. But I want to do labor law, and Cornell is supposed to be a good place for that. Someone talk some sense into me. I'm debating taking myself off the waitlist to make room for someone else.

Well, if you don't have a particularly strong interest in GU then maybe you should withdraw as you say.  What is it about a large law school that appeals to you?  I totally understand not wanting to be out in the sticks as that is the main reason I've only applied to schools in major urban centers.  But if Cornell is a better fit for you academically do you think you could stick it out for a couple of years?  Have you visited either?

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 08:11:04 PM »

Well, if you don't have a particularly strong interest in GU then maybe you should withdraw as you say. What is it about a large law school that appeals to you? I totally understand not wanting to be out in the sticks as that is the main reason I've only applied to schools in major urban centers. But if Cornell is a better fit for you academically do you think you could stick it out for a couple of years? Have you visited either?

That sounds like some sort of blatant attempt to convince them to withdraw themselves from the GU list, which is totally cool by me :P.

Seriously though, my specific reasons for wanting GU involve international and national security law, both fields in which GU is highly rated.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 10:06:34 PM »

Well, if you don't have a particularly strong interest in GU then maybe you should withdraw as you say. What is it about a large law school that appeals to you? I totally understand not wanting to be out in the sticks as that is the main reason I've only applied to schools in major urban centers. But if Cornell is a better fit for you academically do you think you could stick it out for a couple of years? Have you visited either?

That sounds like some sort of blatant attempt to convince them to withdraw themselves from the GU list, which is totally cool by me :P.

0:)

davisxa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 06:10:17 PM »
Well I visited GULC once about 5 years ago and was totally impressed. I also visited GWU at the time and thought that it was basically a *&^% hole. But apparently since then they've expanded the schhol and added new buildings and generally improved.

The advantage of going to a huge school is having 5 times more course offerings and a bigger community of folks who are into the area of law that you are into. Also, in DC, having literally TONS of job & internship opportunities.

I'm this close (pinching thumb and forfinger together) to taking myself off the waitlist. I'm going to the Cornell admitted students day next weekend and I'm hoping I will fall in love with the school. Then I will tell U. Penn and GULC what they can do with their preferred waitlist.
3.46/170