Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does or did Bush have a plan?  (Read 3958 times)

jgruber

Re: Does or did Bush have a plan?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 09:26:08 PM »
I've read similar discussions that weren't as kind as yours.  They said in essence that he is a religious zealot, that knows what is right and will not list to anything to the contrary.

I think the problem is that Bush and company did have a plan.  It failed.  As much as I hate to say it, I think he and company were doing what they thought was best for this country - of course I strongly disagree with what they thought was best.  He always appears to me to do what his religion guides him to do - and that is a big problem.  Being that he is a born again Christian (or atleast this is what I attribute it to), his religious beliefs are all he has.  He doesn't rationalize that maybe the plan should be what is best for America right now and that maybe what he thinks God wants him to do can't be done at this point in time.  For example, I may really think that God wants me to bring democracy to every country in the world.  However, I don't think that is possible right now.  In Iraq, the whole culture doesn't really support a democracy.  I think he approaches it as an American Christian - not as a someone who can put themselves (even a little) in the shoes of the people there because he is so self-involved.  I look at the situation and say, something like, when the majority of people in your country are Islamic, it is going to be hard to have a democracy because of the way the whole structure of the religion is set up.  Being that the religion plays such a big part of their lives, the government is going to reflect that religion.

Bush to me seems to want to bring his culture and religion to the rest of the world and I just don't think that is going to happen anytime soon...

Ginatio

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 09:27:48 PM »
Well yea... when he characterizes the war in Iraq and against terrorism as a "crusade", and his numerous references to God, Jesus, and being a born again Christian... you figure he's bordering on being a religious zealot

I've read similar discussions that weren't as kind as yours.  They said in essence that he is a religious zealot, that knows what is right and will not list to anything to the contrary.

I think the problem is that Bush and company did have a plan.  It failed.  As much as I hate to say it, I think he and company were doing what they thought was best for this country - of course I strongly disagree with what they thought was best.  He always appears to me to do what his religion guides him to do - and that is a big problem.  Being that he is a born again Christian (or atleast this is what I attribute it to), his religious beliefs are all he has.  He doesn't rationalize that maybe the plan should be what is best for America right now and that maybe what he thinks God wants him to do can't be done at this point in time.  For example, I may really think that God wants me to bring democracy to every country in the world.  However, I don't think that is possible right now.  In Iraq, the whole culture doesn't really support a democracy.  I think he approaches it as an American Christian - not as a someone who can put themselves (even a little) in the shoes of the people there because he is so self-involved.  I look at the situation and say, something like, when the majority of people in your country are Islamic, it is going to be hard to have a democracy because of the way the whole structure of the religion is set up.  Being that the religion plays such a big part of their lives, the government is going to reflect that religion.

Bush to me seems to want to bring his culture and religion to the rest of the world and I just don't think that is going to happen anytime soon...

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 09:32:37 PM »
Well yea... when he characterizes the war in Iraq and against terrorism as a "crusade", and his numerous references to God, Jesus, and being a born again Christian... you figure he's bordering on being a religious zealot

I don't know if he is or not but he sure does look like one.  Zealots, like geniuses, can be dangerous depending on where they take you.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 09:45:15 PM »
Religion, like anything else, can definately be taken too far.  I've seen cases where it is almost like an addiction to some people.  Whether it is Christianity, Hare Krishna, or anything else, it can blind people.

The biggest thing with Bush is he seems to think he has found the only way to do things.  It is either you are with him or against him and he doesn't understand that maybe you aren't with him (say, after having your male relatives taken out of your house without just cause and sent halfway around the world to Cuba) but that doesn't mean you are against him (say, although that happened, you still believe that Americans on the whole aren't bad people).

The problem is that with the "plan" he has taken, it is going to be very hard for anyone to steer the US back on the right track.  Unfortunately, it will maybe be Kerry with this job and I just don't think he is going to be much better.  He seems to have no plan.

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 09:47:40 PM »
I think Kerry will be a more organized president.  I just don't have faith that he will lead us in the right direction.  He is not getting my vote.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 09:51:08 PM »
Who else is there to vote for?

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 09:53:35 PM »
I'll pick someone from the list of others as a protest vote.  I can't vote for someone I don't believe in so I vote for someone I don't know and am sure won't win.  It's a little game the system and I play.  I vote and someone else wins.  They get what they want and I avoid responsiblity for my choices.

Ginatio

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 09:57:50 PM »
Are you kidding? By simple virtue of the fact that Kerry is NOT Bush, our international allies will be willing to give the U.S. the benefit of the doubt and welcome us back from these 4 years in the abyss.

I'm more worried about his fiscal policies... Corporate america's just now getting used to Bush's plan... a new Kerry plan may bring on more recession or at least kill the recovery

I think Kerry will be a more organized president.  I just don't have faith that he will lead us in the right direction.  He is not getting my vote.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 09:58:04 PM »
I can understand that - problem is that I really, really don't want Bush in office so I have to vote for Kerry, because even though he isn't great, I think he is a better choice.  Now if it was something like McCain and Kerry (both of which are so-so choices), I'd vote 3rd party.  Unfortunately, I feel it is too important this year :(

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »
Kerry should be better than Bush, but he's far from my first choice.

I know that vote for a third party is kinda a waste, but as long as tennessee is not decided by one vote i'm covered.