Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does or did Bush have a plan?  (Read 3800 times)

jgruber

Does or did Bush have a plan?
« on: May 26, 2004, 09:13:54 AM »
I've heard others suggest this and have thought it myself for quite awhile, but I'd like to hear what others say.

It appears that Bush and the boys are in reactive mode in Iraq and in foreign policy in general.  Most actions by the administration seem to be in reaction to others actions rather than part of a larger plan.

Wudya think?

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: Does or did Bush have a plan?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 09:33:09 AM »
Yes Bush has a plan but unfortunately it's contingent on Jesus returning and making everything better real soon. : )
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:39:49 AM »
I still think Wesley Clark would have made a great president.  if you look at the polls, it looks more and more like Kerry is going to take the election.  if so i hope he appoints clark to a cabinet position, like NSA for example.

i also think someone like clark (or even less likely mccain) for VP could tilt the election sharply to kerry.  the only weakness kerry has to bush is the publics (misguided) perception that bush represents a stronger stance on defense.  either of these choices will help to change that.  john edwards - however charismatic, will not help him here.

but to answer the original question, i think bush has a long range plan, but doesnt have the short term goals to get there.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »
Cheney has a plan, all right.  And it is going just perfect for him. 

I just read an article this morning about how the administration claims there is an al-qaeda terrorist threat coming between now and the elections...of course there is no specific evidence.. what perfect timing for Bush to scare the hell out of uneducated people so he can get voted back in. 

I liked Clark too until he unveiled his plan to eliminate taxes on people making less than $50k a year.  Completely illogical given the state of the economy.  It wouldn't have passed anyway.  Now it looks like we are down to Kerry.  Maybe Clark will be VP?! Who knows....
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 03:33:24 PM »
I think he did at one point - or at least most of the people on his staff did.  Interestingly, I was watching a thing on Bush and the first time (that I can find) he mentioned weapons of mass destruction was... wait for it... in his inaguration speach!  Makes me think that he has had a plan all along to take out Saddam, and probably a lot of other things too.  Whether those plans worked like he thought is another question.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 05:14:57 PM »
By the way - to see the plan for America, look up The Project For A New American Century.  It was a group of people (including Cheney and several other Bush senior administrators) about what America should be like.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 06:35:49 PM »
I've heard about that and I understand it indicates that they intended all along to invade Iraq as soon as an excuse could be found.

Haven't Bush and the boys denied that the plan even exists?

By the way - to see the plan for America, look up The Project For A New American Century.  It was a group of people (including Cheney and several other Bush senior administrators) about what America should be like.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 06:41:36 PM »
Do you believe them when they denied it?

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 06:55:14 PM »
Do you believe them when they denied it?

I haven't believed a president since Kennedy was killed.  I was 8 then.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 07:07:57 PM »
I think the problem is that Bush and company did have a plan.  It failed.  As much as I hate to say it, I think he and company were doing what they thought was best for this country - of course I strongly disagree with what they thought was best.  He always appears to me to do what his religion guides him to do - and that is a big problem.  Being that he is a born again Christian (or atleast this is what I attribute it to), his religious beliefs are all he has.  He doesn't rationalize that maybe the plan should be what is best for America right now and that maybe what he thinks God wants him to do can't be done at this point in time.  For example, I may really think that God wants me to bring democracy to every country in the world.  However, I don't think that is possible right now.  In Iraq, the whole culture doesn't really support a democracy.  I think he approaches it as an American Christian - not as a someone who can put themselves (even a little) in the shoes of the people there because he is so self-involved.  I look at the situation and say, something like, when the majority of people in your country are Islamic, it is going to be hard to have a democracy because of the way the whole structure of the religion is set up.  Being that the religion plays such a big part of their lives, the government is going to reflect that religion.

Bush to me seems to want to bring his culture and religion to the rest of the world and I just don't think that is going to happen anytime soon...