Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or UT-Austin?  (Read 1373 times)

ormachea

Re: UCLA or UT-Austin?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 10:43:22 PM »
I agree with the last two posters... Texas is a lot different than ronin seems to believe.

The entire UT campus is almost 10% Asian, meaning you wouldn't stand out at all. As far as the gay scene, InVinoVeritas is correct: Austin has a relatively large scene. 'Real Sushi' is all over the place--the popularity among the frat boys and the large Asian population makes it very popular.

I'm hispanic and dating a blonde gf--and I haven't been tied to the back of a truck yet!  ;D

The CA beaches are amazing, but we've got a couple good substitutes here in the lakes: for watersports, Travis is great. If beaches are incredibly important to you, I would also recommend UCLA. Otherwise: UT wins. Tuition, income tax, COL, etc.

MP005

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 11:12:56 PM »
I live in Austin right now. I have lived here most of my life, minus some time in Boston and Moscow (yes, Russia).

But back to Austin... I have had a slight sunburn on my shoulders since early March. I already have a full Bikini tan. I work full time indoors, so this is all from weekends.

Enough said.

As for culture... well, if your version of culture is pro sports and professional movie industry with disneyland, move to LA. If your version of culture is cutting edge film and music, live music, at affordable, non-stuffy, weekly venues, you can't beat Austin. We certainly arn't pretending to be NYC, but we've got a hell of a lot less traffic, crime, pollution etc et compared with LA.

(P.S. For your OTHER point (not the one on race in texas - but, btw, your perspective on that is ALSO skewed), my step-bro, who is gay, moved BACK to Austin from San Francisco. Yes. Because he liked Austin better for that scene. So visit Austin before you start stereotyping it.)

amelliot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 01:33:24 AM »
Thanks for all the input everyone.  Here is kind of what I'm thinking.  I think UT would be more fun for the next 3 years.  I'm a very social person, I think I would like going out to 6th street etc., and I would love the college town atmosphere in Austin.  However, I think that I also have to take into consideration where I would want to practice.  I certainly don't want to end up practicing BIGLAW in Houston.  I'm not very conservative and although I think a lot of people from texas are great, there are others that give off the "don't mess with texas" attitude that i'm not sure i could deal with.  At this point I'm leaning toward UCLA (perhaps only because I have been preparing myself to go there for the last 4 months), but I'm going to visit both and go from there.  I'm definitely still weighing my options though and more comments would be appreciated.

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 02:26:55 AM »
I'm an Asian male. I doubt i would feel as comfotable dating my blonde gf in Texas as i would here in LA. What if the admit was openly gay. What if the admit wanted an environment where the school is about half minority and where 'real' sushi existed within blocks. etc etc Just think of things in a different perspective. Its probably a lot harder for someone to go from growing up somewhere like here to Austin than it is for someone growing up in Austin to come to LA or any other cultured city.

That's a pretty uneducated response.  "cultured city"?!  Why don't you explore the world before you decide to give an opinions like that.

To the OP, I think visiting both is definitely the way to go if you can.  I would also seriously evaluate the placement studies that are out there for the areas in which you want to practice.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 01:09:52 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. Here is kind of what I'm thinking. I think UT would be more fun for the next 3 years. I'm a very social person, I think I would like going out to 6th street etc., and I would love the college town atmosphere in Austin. However, I think that I also have to take into consideration where I would want to practice. I certainly don't want to end up practicing BIGLAW in Houston. I'm not very conservative and although I think a lot of people from texas are great, there are others that give off the "don't mess with texas" attitude that i'm not sure i could deal with. At this point I'm leaning toward UCLA (perhaps only because I have been preparing myself to go there for the last 4 months), but I'm going to visit both and go from there. I'm definitely still weighing my options though and more comments would be appreciated.

it sounds like you're giving the decision the amount of thought it deserves.  definitely think about where you want to end up immediately after law school.  both schools can place beyond their immediate region, but you'll probably have to be in the top third of the class to pull it off.  you decide what you're capable of and what you're willing to do.  good luck!  are you going to UCLA's admit day?

cho version 2.0

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 02:15:54 AM »
I'm biased because I went to UCLA for undergrad, but

UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:19:12 AM »
Thanks for all the input everyone.  Here is kind of what I'm thinking.  I think UT would be more fun for the next 3 years.  I'm a very social person, I think I would like going out to 6th street etc., and I would love the college town atmosphere in Austin.  However, I think that I also have to take into consideration where I would want to practice.  I certainly don't want to end up practicing BIGLAW in Houston.  I'm not very conservative and although I think a lot of people from texas are great, there are others that give off the "don't mess with texas" attitude that i'm not sure i could deal with.  At this point I'm leaning toward UCLA (perhaps only because I have been preparing myself to go there for the last 4 months), but I'm going to visit both and go from there.  I'm definitely still weighing my options though and more comments would be appreciated.
Good luck with your decision! Your very fortunate to have the choice of selecting between the two!
Get Right, or get Left!!!!