Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or UT-Austin?  (Read 1357 times)

amelliot

• View Profile
UCLA or UT-Austin?
« on: April 04, 2005, 02:00:45 PM »
I really need some help on this one.  I was accepted to UCLA almost 4 months ago so I was really getting psyched to go there.  But..I just received the acceptance from UT today, and now I have no idea.  I have no regional ties to either area.  Ideas anyone?

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
Re: UCLA or UT-Austin?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
I really need some help on this one.  I was accepted to UCLA almost 4 months ago so I was really getting psyched to go there.  But..I just received the acceptance from UT today, and now I have no idea.  I have no regional ties to either area.  Ideas anyone?

we need more info. what do you want to specialize in, where do you want to practice?  etc  but Austin is 11.5 million times better than LA. 

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:07:27 PM »

we need more info. what do you want to specialize in, where do you want to practice? etc but Austin is 11.5 million times better than LA.

Austin better? Eh....Depends on what social thing you are in to, what race you are, what you want to spend on social life and rent etc etc.
I will miss LA :-(

ormachea

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »
Social life: 6th-4th street had blocks of bars and clubs.
Cost of social life: Texas has one of the lowest costs of living in the country (as long as you don't buy property)

But you really can't go wrong with either.
I've never been to UCLA, but the vibes from UT-Austin are fantastic. The students are all genuinely happy to be there (as happy as anyone can be at a law school  ;D ). Every student I've talked to there (and I'm a UT undergrad so I've talked to a lot) has only great things to say about their professors.

But, again, you can't go wrong with either and have an enviable choice.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 08:36:01 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong either way!  Heck, they are even ranked the same! I think it has to be almost an entirely personal decision as to which one better fits your needs
Attending: Texas

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
This is basically a toss-up.  Go visit both schools and then listen to your gut.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:04:12 PM »
I'm facing the same situation. As far as I can tell, the schools are roughly equal.

Therefore, let's talk finance:

-- UCLA has a higher tuition.
-- UCLA has a higher cost of living.
-- You'll presumably establish residency in California to pay in-state tuition but then, ooooooops! Remember that nice summer associate job you were planning to save money from? Congratulations, a good chunk of your earnings just got gobbled by California's income tax. Texas has no income tax. That's right. Zero. Zilch. That's definitely a huge advantage when you're just a student trying to get by.

The stats bear me out here. Average UCLA debt: $58 large. Average Texas debt: $48 large. (US News World Report; that's the 2003-2004 edition, but the trensd haven't changed).

If there's nothing drawing you to UCLA over UTexas, then you should totally go to Texas. It's that simple.

I'm visiting UCLA in a couple of weeks, and I'll report my impressions. However, they'd have to be really damn impressive to beat out Texas. If UCLA is exceptionally good at what you want to specialize in, go there. Otherwise....
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 09:10:20 PM »
I'm an Asian male. I doubt i would feel as comfotable dating my blonde gf in Texas as i would here in LA. What if the admit was openly gay. What if the admit wanted an environment where the school is about half minority and where 'real' sushi existed within blocks. etc etc Just think of things in a different perspective. Its probably a lot harder for someone to go from growing up somewhere like here to Austin than it is for someone growing up in Austin to come to LA or any other cultured city.
I will miss LA :-(

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 09:12:02 PM »
I'm an Asian male. I doubt i would feel as comfotable dating my blonde gf in Texas as i would here in LA. What if the admit was openly gay. What if the admit wanted an environment where the school is about half minority and where 'real' sushi existed within blocks. etc etc Just think of things in a different perspective. Its probably a lot harder for someone to go from growing up somewhere like here to Austin than it is for someone growing up in Austin to come to LA or any other cultured city.

*massages his temples, focusing his psychic powers*.

You've never been to Texas. Am I right?!?!?!?!
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 10:37:45 PM »

recent presidential elections aside, there are pockets of Texas that are not as conservative as you've been led to believe.  Austin, in particular, is a fairly liberal city, as Texas cities go.  Austin's got plenty of culture, there's lots of interracial dating going on, and there's even a vibrant gay scene in all of the larger cities of texas, including Austin.

personally, i'd probably choose to go to UCLA.  but that's because i actually wouldn't mind paying the income tax to live in a city that has a great climate, abuts the ocean and is only a few hours away from the mountains and desert.  that's just me.